Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

wheel dye

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:07 AM
xraycer71
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel dye

I have the green tornado wheels and want to dye it black. Can this be done? If yes, how is it done?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:22 AM
webbl19

Default RE: wheel dye

I think the water needs to be at a light boil but im not sure, this guy says it doesnt.

http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build008.htm
Old 02-27-2008, 03:31 AM
xraycer71

Cool, thanks dude!

Where I can get the dye?
Old 02-27-2008, 04:01 AM
webbl19

walmart or something like that, it is usually around the laundry detergent and stuff.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:11 AM
martrix

My wheels were yellow and the dye trick worked awesome.

I used the same liquid RIT Dye but used up the entire bottle. Ouch!@ $22 a bottle, but it worked and its black. The dye will be put into a 2litre milk container so it can still be used in the future.

Also found that the water needed to be quite hot, not boiling but kind of near it. Probably around 70°-80°. I had the barbecue on low the whole time and stirred every 4-5 minutes. Found that the dye wont penetrate the nylon anywhere where there are traces of CA (Superglue) left from gluing on the tires. Another reason why its best to dye while the rims are bare. Any spots I found like that I just rubbed over with acetone on a cotton bud until the dye penetrated.

I found the rims needed at least a good 15 minutes to get a nice black. The wing was a different story. I had to transfer the dye to a bigger baking dish and do the top, bottom and sides in three goes. Still worked and the finish looks even.

I haven't noticed any issues with the tyres yet from being soaked in the warm water, but I am yet to run it. Hopefully get it running tomorrow but dont envisage any problems.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 AM
xraycer71

$22 bucks a bottle!!! I'll try the laundry section as Webbl19 suggests, and if they cost more than $10 I'm just gonna spray paint it. BTW, I dig your buggy. I'm gonna do the same except the body is gonna be black..................with maybe some white designs. Thanks for chiming in guys!
Old 02-27-2008, 06:56 AM
webbl19

if you use spray paint make sure you sand the wheel down a little so the paint will stick better. it is not $22. there website says it is about $4. im not sure how many bottles you would need im guess just one but i have never done it before.

http://www.ritdye.com/Liquids.28.51.5.9.lasso -liquid
http://www.ritdye.com/Powders.28.51.6.29.lasso -powder
Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Macanan

You can get black rims and or with tires already glued to them from here, 4 rims would only cost you $10.00
http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/...ex.php/cPath/4
Old 02-27-2008, 07:36 AM
vnmsgt

Here is what my fried wrote me to dye my stuff and have used it many times already and works perfect. This is using RIT dye from the grocery store laundry section for about 3-4 bucks

heres what i did. step 1. bring more than enough water to completely cover your parts (keeping in mind some water will evaporate as you boil) to a boil. 2. pour in your dye and stir (more for a deeper color or less dye if you want a lighter shade of that color, that wing was dyed at full strength for 20 mins) drop your parts in what ever container you have that you dont care about. *note* container will probably stain with the dye!! I bought a tupperware bread container because its deep enough for 4 rims or to fit that wing in, it looks like a loaf of bread. it cost $5.00 at walmart. 3. Let them sit, stirring occasionally, for about 20 mins. this way you dont have any white spots from them sitting on the bottom of your container. ( less time if you want a lighter color or more time for a truer, deeper color.) you can check them at anytime and when it reaches the color you want pull em out. I used a zip-tie through the mounting hole to pull it out of the dye to check for color. 4. let them cool then rinse with clean water. done. most importantly................................
Whatever you drop the dye on you need to clean it up IMMEDIATELY because it will stain. tile floors, counter tops, kitchen towels, your clothes even your hands will have a tint of the color. dont get thrown in the dog house by your wife because her tile floor is blue!!

Here is a before and after I did.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68165.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	889928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73686.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	889929  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:03 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

The dying thing is cool because you can do all different colors and customize your wheels wings and anything that's not black plastic. It's actually easier than it looks. You can use rite dye and you can buy a whole bunch of it for cheap from the laundry department at walmart, get the powder stuff it's cheaper than the liquid.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:32 AM
martrix

ORIGINAL: xraycer71

$22 bucks a bottle!!! I'll try the laundry section as Webbl19 suggests, and if they cost more than $10 I'm just gonna spray paint it. BTW, I dig your buggy. I'm gonna do the same except the body is gonna be black..................with maybe some white designs. Thanks for chiming in guys!
yeah thats $22 Australian. Every thing in the US is so much cheaper than here. Its pretty cool now that our Australian dollar is almost the same value as the US. Currently its sitting at $.95 to your $1.....awesome for buying RC parts from the US, pity about the bloody long shipping distance.[:'(]
Old 02-28-2008, 02:58 AM
xraycer71

ORIGINAL: Macanan

You can get black rims and or with tires already glued to them from here, 4 rims would only cost you $10.00
http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/...ex.php/cPath/4
Cool! No work, no mess, and they even have the black spoiler. Looks like I'll be taking the lazy path. Thanx all
Old 02-28-2008, 11:21 AM
brannen25

back in the day when we all raced associated rc-10's they were all nylon with exception of the pan.. we died every part and piece with rit before putting it together but hell that was 1985. long before carbon fiber and aluminum and nitro cars were so expensive you couldnt even think about it and very unreliable
Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 PM
jumpanddrop

so let me get this straight. you boil water with the rims in it, pour in the dye with the water, boil for about ten minets, then put the rims and hot water/dye mixture in a container untill the water/dye cools and then take the rims out of the container and its done?????
Old 02-28-2008, 09:30 PM
rican25

no jump, read VNMGT's post thats the method I used to dye all my stuff and he uses it now too. Boil the water, add your dye, then drop in parts. let them sit until the desired color is reached then pull em out. let em cool a bit then rinse with clean, clear water. done. the longer you leave them in the water the darker the color.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 PM
jumpanddrop

oh ok. so when you pull them out you just let them sit by themselfs in the contaner??. also i have some chrome rims and the chrome is chipping. when they get real bad i want to dye them. how can i remove the chrome paint???
Old 02-28-2008, 11:04 PM
rican25

I always remove them from the dye, rinse then let them sit on a paper towel as they will still be very warm.
chrome would be tricky as I am sure you could remove the chrome but it wouldnt be easy unless you used something caustic and then youd have to worry about the plastic being eaten away.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 AM
jumpanddrop

ORIGINAL: rican25

I always remove them from the dye, rinse then let them sit on a paper towel as they will still be very warm.
chrome would be tricky as I am sure you could remove the chrome but it wouldnt be easy unless you used something caustic and then youd have to worry about the plastic being eaten away.
maybe a sand blaster??? ill try it in mine with low presure. man iknow many people with a hole pile of cool tools. lol i just need some time to play around with them
Old 02-29-2008, 12:53 AM
rican25

sand blasting is VERY rough on anything you use it on, my dad has one and we used it all the time when painting older cars and stripping off the years of rust. not a tool you want to play around with and just like sand at the beach... it gets everywhere!!
Old 02-29-2008, 12:58 AM
jumpanddrop

no dude. its not like that. its a deatail one. its in an inclosed box and you just reach in and look though the window. very easy to use. i might try it with realy low presure.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:30 AM
Boxhead from MN

Maybe use plastic beads or baking soda instead of sand. Saw a demo of a guy taking paint off a soda can. Paint was gone and no dents in can.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:20 AM
webbl19

yeah i wouldnt use sand it would probably pit up the wheels even at a low pressure. Not sure it would take the chrome off at a low pressure either.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:10 PM
gokartingbob455

will this method of dying wheels work on dying a buggy wing?
Old 03-01-2008, 03:20 AM
martrix

ORIGINAL: gokartingbob455

will this method of dying wheels work on dying a buggy wing?
Yep. Have a look at my pics again. The wing was yellow also.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:03 PM
gokartingbob455

so you do the exact same thing? cool. i'll do it on a himoto v2 wing that im gonna get...making it red because it fits my body style. (i swear they have almost every color of that wing but not red[:@])

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.