Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Volcano transmission gear confusion

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano transmission gear confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:03 PM
MadMatt2024

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano transmission gear confusion

Me and my little brother were bashing our Volcanoes today, (I have an SV, he has an SV Pro) after about 4 tanks a gear in his transmission striped. Its not the spur gear, its this small 17t plastic gear in the back of the trans, number 29 in the parts digram in the manual. The manual says this gear and another (27) are a set, part no. 08033. When I looked up this part number its the spur gear and the little metal gear next to it. http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...l?sfs=f4f899f0
I can't seem to find the correct part number for this gear and Redcat and Clermont don't seem to have it.
I know it would be easy to upgrade to direct drive but my brother just bought new wheels and tires for his Volcano and it would be cheaper to just replace the gear.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Cam_132

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission gear confusion

i had the same problam too when i got my BB it striped the spur gear in 4 - 5 tanks so i got the singel speed set up 17 Toolth clutch bell and singel speed tranny... the original clutch bell is Aluminum and aluminum and nylon dont MIX! Steal and nylon do tho.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:10 PM
MadMatt2024

No, thats not the problem. The spur gear is fine and the clutch bell is steel on this Volcano. The problem is that in the manual the gear I need is listed as one part number but when I look up that part number online its not the same part.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:15 PM
twomanytoys

One thing everyone needs to realize is that if you are jumping at all you need to let off the throttle before you hit the ground. This puts alot ofstress on the gears when landing and engine i revving out.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:27 PM
MadMatt2024

He wasn't jumping it. We bought his Volcano used and that gear looked worn when we got it. I have also told him to let off the gas if he jumps so nothing will strip.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:34 PM
jumpanddrop

i would just go for the direct drive setup. i think its only $15 and i think you can use you clutch bell areadt on it, im not 100% sure tho. also with that you can play around with your gear ratio if you want alto of torqe or speed. J/W how much did he get his volcano for???. i just got a sweetheart deal sellin by tornado to some kid.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:05 PM
MadMatt2024

I think the direct drive setup is 30$ He got his SV Pro for about the same price as a new SV. It came with a Rotostart, backplate, some new glow plugs, dog bones, some other extra parts and a starter kit minus the fuel bottle and glow wrench. I wouldn't say it was the deal of the century but it still wasn't that bad and he likes it a lot.
I did finally find out the part number, its 08067 and looks like Himoto only carries it. I already have Clermont trying to get me a Himoto part because Redcat dosn't have it and now I might have to have him snag another one for me.[sm=angry.gif] Redcat needs to get their parts department together if they want to support their customer base.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:17 PM
jumpanddrop

dosent sound to bad. i sold my tornado bb only b/c some kid payed my $220 for it and it had cracked rims and the oneway s going on it. he said he didint care b/c the store in my town sells them for 400-500 for the same buggy[X(]
Old 03-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Baine$

Default RE: Volcano transmission gear confusion

i have a question ... i have the taiwan .18 motor in my volcano sv and am looking to upgrade for more speed. Will the 2 speed
conversion kit that you can buy from redcatracing.com give me more speed or cause me problems? Also i was going to upgrade to a sh .18 can i install the 2 speed on this motor? what do i need to do to install that motor? Will the 2 speed make it faster?

Thanks

Baine$
Old 03-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Baine$

have a question ... i have the taiwan .18 motor in my volcano sv and am looking to upgrade for more speed. Will the 2 speed
conversion kit that you can buy from redcatracing.com give me more speed or cause me problems? Also i was going to upgrade to a sh .18 can i install the 2 speed on this motor? what do i need to do to install that motor? Will the 2 speed make it faster?

Thanks

Baine$
Old 03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
MadMatt2024

People have said that 2nd gear is so high that the engine doesn't have the power to get to the theoretical top speed of that gear.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:31 PM
ehroof

stick to single speed, you could do the 2 speed upgrade and use the 13/18 clutch bell from hpi, you would need new bearing and some fabrication but your still better off with the single speed or the clermont single speed upgrade: http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...iff-kit/Detail

btw, clermont can get you himoto parts too if you need them
Old 03-04-2008, 05:39 PM
dominicevans

yea the 2 speed is quite tricky at times
Old 03-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Baine$

ok ill stick to my single speed that came stock ...

but when upgrading to a new motor is the SH .18 better or the .18 CVX ??? i think its called .18 cvx ? not sure.

Also do you have to do mods for these to fit and are they the biggest motors you can put into the volcano sv?

thanks,

Baine$
Old 03-04-2008, 06:02 PM
ehroof

sh is much better than the vx.18
Old 03-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Baine$

so it will help me hit higher tops speeds and better acceleration etc.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:08 PM
ehroof

yes, the next best engine is the os cvrx, its a direct fit too, any larger engine would need chassis and other modifications
http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...lue-11j/Detail

if you own a redcat, you can use the engine replacement program, get the sh.18 for like $50
Old 03-04-2008, 06:10 PM
dominicevans

i think a .18 is the biggest without moddin the mounts or chassis
Old 03-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Baine$

ok ... ill grab the SH .18 then and see how she does.