Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Glitching Radio Crash

Old 03-05-2008, 10:27 AM
MadMatt2024

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Glitching Radio Crash

I just figured I would tell you what might have caused your interference. Do you know that the 27MHz band is also used for CB radios? When it comes to your little .1 watt transmitter Vs. a 4 watt CB guess who is going to win.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Redharris

I didnt mean to start a BASH session on the Redcat Radio. Lol.
That radio is actually pretty good for the $300 price of the Vehicle.
Dont know many other MFG's that sell a Programmable FM radio(to set steering and throttle endpoints) with THEIR $300 cars.....
And lets face it,,,,Most folks EXPECT to replace the Stock radios, any way, for anything other than Casual use.

Obviously, I AM havin a problem with MINE, but if YOUR radio is workin Fine, there is no reason to run out and replace it.
I'm thinkin I just have a bad connection somewhere, or Maybe there was a RUN of bad Receivers from the factory.

Madmat
Thats an interesting thought....
I Know that Old school CB's with Analog components could drift out Calibration and Bleed into other Freqs.
I'm not enuff of a Radio guy to Know if that is likely with Todays DIGITAL Transceivers.
Any Radio Buffs out there that can comment on that?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:21 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well...I been around cb's some....u can get off frequency....some radios u can split channels....I do remember my dads cb messin with my radio shack golden arrow when I was a kid...so its veeeeeery possible....
Old 03-05-2008, 10:53 PM
mrlee2071

ORIGINAL: Redharris

I didnt mean to start a BASH session on the Redcat Radio. Lol.
That radio is actually pretty good for the $300 price of the Vehicle.
Dont know many other MFG's that sell a Programmable FM radio(to set steering and throttle endpoints) with THEIR $300 cars.....
And lets face it,,,,Most folks EXPECT to replace the Stock radios, any way, for anything other than Casual use.

Obviously, I AM havin a problem with MINE, but if YOUR radio is workin Fine, there is no reason to run out and replace it.
I'm thinkin I just have a bad connection somewhere, or Maybe there was a RUN of bad Receivers from the factory.

Madmat
Thats an interesting thought....
I Know that Old school CB's with Analog components could drift out Calibration and Bleed into other Freqs.
I'm not enuff of a Radio guy to Know if that is likely with Todays DIGITAL Transceivers.
Any Radio Buffs out there that can comment on that?
Your soo right, bang for the digital buck, you can't beat redcat
Got mine back on the road tonight, so far no reoccurning problems.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:32 PM
mrlee2071

I have seen the radio glitch light for myself today. I took my Hurricane to work to show my guys and when I turned on the radio it freeked out. BAD. I am the fleet manager for a large school district and we have a 100' radio tower in our yard. The radio did not respond at all. I wanted to do it's own thing no matter what I did. I thought, well here we go, now the radio is gone.
When I returned home tonight, the radio worked fine. No problem.
I was not sure with todays radio systems (FM Digital) that radio interference would cause a problem, trust me, it does (big time)
Hope this helps.
Lee
Old 03-06-2008, 09:48 PM
TThib

Yes... I work with Sat, Microwave, and HF communications. RF radiation causes havoc with all sorts of stuff if your close enough and/or the output is high enough.

Hhhhmn... maybe I'll take my Hurricane with the FM in it next time I go onsite to see what happens. Then I'll try out the other hurricane with the Airtronics FHSS and see if there is a difference. (I'd bet on the FHSS to work, but you never know)
Old 03-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Redharris

TThib ....
Good idea! Let us Know what happens.....
I've been in the Radio Forum, and even the Guys with SPECTRUM type 2.4Ghz radios suffer from Glitches n Weird behavior from time to time....
Old 03-07-2008, 12:59 PM
mrlee2071

Yes, good Idea.
I'm going to buy some different crystals for my radio and check again.
Investigation is power.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:23 PM
TThib

I've heard that excessive vibration to the reciever can cause problems, though on the canes it's jammed in there pretty tight. I read somewhere to wrap your reciever in aluminum foil and it helps with interferance. I dunno... worth a try I suppose.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:39 PM
mrlee2071

Cool, but watch out for your servos. My steering servo actually went past the stop and I had to take it apart and repair it. No big deal but a little time consuming.
Let us know.