Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

need help with choice of 1/8 scale

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

need help with choice of 1/8 scale

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 09:03 PM
pede_187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need help with choice of 1/8 scale

ORIGINAL: webbl19

ORIGINAL: TCB 81

ORIGINAL: Clermont Hobby

I know this is a redcat forum, but since you asked, as far as toughness, the cen is far better than the tsunami. It is like comparing apples to oranges.
i agree with ya on the tsunami not being as tough as the cen GST 7.7 but i wouldnt expect it to be like you said apple to oranges lol...but what im really interested in is compareing the hpi savage XL5.9 and the cen GST 7.7 and the avalanche is to what is the all around better truck as in toughness fuel useage and power/speed
Im not sure he was talking a comparison with the 7.7 and tsunami, i think it was a 1/10 to 1/10 scale thing.

I think you should go with the CEN or the Avalanche. Traxxas and HPI are over rated to me. You are just buying the brand.
It better be better than the tsunami for close to 4 times the price
Old 03-14-2008, 09:53 PM
papax5p

I have the Savagex4.6 and it takes a beating!! Only problem I have is keeping wheels on the ground to get going!!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Redharris

Lol...Ive seen these Kinds of Discussions get Ugly...lol.
Just for laughs,,,let me trow in another Variable..
The Cen is an Expensive truck. If you are lookin to spend THAT much, You might also consider the Losi LST2.
The LST2 will Bash with the Best of em..... and it s a good racer from what Ive heard.....
Im Partial to it myself....
Old 03-15-2008, 12:42 AM
rc rock

i thought the cen is cheaper than the new savage
[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/12429]cen:$540[/link]
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUHD0**&P=7]savage:$590[/link]
i thought correct
Old 03-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Redharris

My Mistake. I thought the Cen was $600 Plus. The GST 7.7 is Cens Top of the Line Monster isnt it?
Are you talikin about the new NEW Savage? The XL model? I didnt think the Dealers had taken Delivery of those yet.......
It sure LOOKS nice though!
Old 03-15-2008, 02:33 AM
rc rock

The GST 7.7 is Cens Top of the Line Monster isnt it?
yea.... i think it's their top model[8D]
Old 03-15-2008, 06:32 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: Redharris

Lol...Ive seen these Kinds of Discussions get Ugly...lol.
Just for laughs,,,let me trow in another Variable..
The Cen is an Expensive truck. If you are lookin to spend THAT much, You might also consider the Losi LST2.
The LST2 will Bash with the Best of em..... and it s a good racer from what Ive heard.....
Im Partial to it myself....
OH YEAH! That truck will RIP!! my friend has one and runs it on the track and he HAULS with it. Runs with all the truggies and it has such a HUGE tank it runs for over 10-12 minutes I think.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:15 AM
rclynx

The GST 7.7 Kit is one of there best models.............they have some aussume kits, but you can't touch any of them for the price of an Avalanche [&o]
Old 03-15-2008, 01:06 PM
webbl19

My Mistake. I thought the Cen was $600 Plus. The GST 7.7 is Cens Top of the Line Monster isnt it?
Are you talikin about the new NEW Savage? The XL model? I didnt think the Dealers had taken Delivery of those yet.......
The savage XL on tower hobbies says mid april. So i dont think you can get it yet.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:04 PM
TCB 81

ORIGINAL: webbl19

The savage XL on tower hobbies says mid april. So i dont think you can get it yet.
yes your right you cant get the savage XL5.9 yet but if its better then the other two i listed ill wait till it comes out. but by the looks of it, it seems that the cen GST 7.7 is looking to be the better of the three....please correct me if im wrong looking for any suggestions thank you.......
Old 03-15-2008, 04:23 PM
StephenW

read some stuff on the cen. Its HUGE! i dont understand how they can even call it a 1/8. Id say like 1/7 or 1/6. For the price tho id get the avalanche. U could spend $540 right away for the cen and go race but with the avalanche you could slowly work your way up and eventually produce a truck tougher than the savage and overall better than the cen
Old 03-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Redharris

ORIGINAL: StephenW

read some stuff on the cen. Its HUGE! i dont understand how they can even call it a 1/8. Id say like 1/7 or 1/6. For the price tho id get the avalanche. U could spend $540 right away for the cen and go race but with the avalanche you could slowly work your way up and eventually produce a truck tougher than the savage and overall better than the cen
The Avalanche is a Great Truck(my Buddy has one), But it is Based on a Truggy like Platform and doesnt Have the CRAZY suspension Travel of some of the OTHER brands. If you wanna Do HUGE AIR jumps, I'd say some of the other MFG's have the advantage.
If you want to race in the Monster Class tho, The Avalanche is a Great Value, (everyone HERE knows that,Lol). It has a low Center of Gravity and its pretty Fast. All you gotta do is Change the tires for racing, and you're good to go.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:09 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Avalanche is a Great Truck(my Buddy has one), But it is Based on a Truggy like Platform and doesnt Have the CRAZY suspension Travel of some of the OTHER brands. If you wanna Do HUGE AIR jumps, I'd say some of the other MFG's have the advantage.
If you want to race in the Monster Class tho, The Avalanche is a Great Value, (everyone HERE knows that,Lol). It has a low Center of Gravity and its pretty Fast. All you gotta do is Change the tires for racing, and you're good to go.

you cant race the avalanche in the monster truck class, it has a center diff and its a buggy or truggy, the trucks have a trans not a diff.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Redharris

ORIGINAL: ehroof

you cant race the avalanche in the monster truck class, it has a center diff and its a buggy or truggy, the trucks have a trans not a diff.
Huh....I didnt Know that......
At one of my local tracks, there are not enuff Truggy guys to Make up a Full Truggy Class. They told me that they just throw the Truggy's in with the Monster Trucks........
Im Guessin its not an OFFICIAL kind of Race? Like ROAR sanctioned?
LOL...its STILL a RACE and should be Fun!

They didnt seem to care about engine size either, so I'm probably gonna get BLASTED by guys with Huge engines[]
Old 03-16-2008, 12:33 PM
rclynx

Nah when it gets big blocked there all pretty even.............just a lot better drivers that win
Old 03-23-2008, 09:18 AM
RCToysNh

For 1/8 Scale Avalanche or Monsoon Truggy.
Most bang for the $. Save your money for extras and fuel.
No matter what you buy you will break parts.

RCtoysNH
Old 03-24-2008, 02:19 AM
xraycer71
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: TCB 81

ok im looking to get a 1/8 monster truck and im having a problem with deciding which one to get i have three choice's and all three are nice just thought i would get your opinion on it ....well im looking at the redcat avalanche or the new hpi savage XL5.9 or the cen GST 7.7, i like them all and just cant decide i would like a monster truck that is fast but also needs to be tough as for i like to jump stuff and i dont plan on being to easy on it lol so any info would help and thank you for your time and knowlege.

PS.please give me your honest opinion and dont just say get the redcat just because you feel you need to be loyal to redcat i love redcat just as much as the next person but lets be truthful there is other nice rc's out there also i just want to get the best one for what im looking for and hey if you guys think it is the redcat then thats great also it will save money and ill still have what i was looking for but money is not the issue here so dont let that be a factor in your opinion thank you much for your help......
Finally got my 1/8 monster truck, sorta. I put in for a bid on Ebay last week and this is what I won:[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=160220563737&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI[/link]

I was leaning toward the Savage X 4.6(for the looks) or Avalance(for the price), but I figured I'll bid kinda low($250) on this Warhead and if I win it'd be a great buy and if I don't no big deal. I won it for $202....woohoo! What I really like about this truck is that you can adjust the suspension from 1.5" to 3.75" of ground clearance. Now with the money I saved, I'm gonna get a bunch of aluminum bling parts for it. Can't wait for that UPS truck to pull up!

BTW, I was at a LHS and I was talking to one of the guys that work there. He said that the Associated Monster GT 8.0 is the toughest truck he has ever owned and he has owned a lot of them. Yes, the store sold AE, but they also carry a full line for Losi, Traxxas, HPI, Kyosho, Tamiya.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 PM
forlorm22

I was looking at 1/8 scales and wondering the same sort of thing...I was thinking possibly mgt 8.0 or losi 8ight T. I know they are two different vehicles so not totally sure. Think they would both be pretty fun bashers. I just started into nitro so don't know much but the wife approved me getting a 1/8th this afternoon so now I'm on the hunt. Would appreciate anyones 2 cents on these or others. Tsunami ultrawide I got a couple weeks ago is my first so I'm still learning a lot. Just wanted something a bit bigger. But I do love the nami still. cant wait to get the parts and fix it so I can try to finish tuning.