Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Butane Boost Injection

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Cam_132

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Butane Boost Injection

tomorro i will try it too... with the butain...
Old 03-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Redharris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It WOULD just be easier to Buy a Faster engine,, Hey?
Lol, but wheres the fun in That?!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Cam_132

ya... you get to see a engine (if...) get smoked!!!

p.s. i am borowing my frends camra for spring brake so i will finaly get some videos up!

p.s.s. there will be about 10 to 15 videos going up...

p.s.s.s. subscribe to me... it is in my signiture!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:13 AM
AffordableRC

ORIGINAL: Redharris

Affordable,,,Firebird ,,,
I think you guys have the right idea for the Plumbing. Might run lean though. and too much pressure might act to blow fuel Right Through the engine before combustion. Also, the Butane comes out COLD. Might lower combustion Temps. But HEY! Ya never Know till ya Try!
It would for sure run lean, just like a car you would have to have more fuel available; just have to richen up the jets. The butane being cold might actually be a good thing though, cold = denser air. I'm just not convinced that butane is more combustable then the nitro fuels.

The nitro we use is some pretty nasty stuff, its similar to what top fuel dragsters run just a different ratio of nitromethane and methanol; and the addition of oil.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:10 AM
Swamp3r

I still think there will be 2 explosions and ruin the engine after a few seconds. I say the connecting rod will snap the crank. or blow the glow plug out to mars maybe even venus lol. I just don't think I'd try it. I do agree it would cool the engine though. If I were to try it I would use the small refill bottles it would be alot easier to get the right tubing instead of trying to modify a lighter. Good luck to anyone that trys and if you do PLEASE tell us how it went and maybe some video.I'm curious.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:55 AM
TThib

It would be a cool experiment...

If it proves worthy, you technically could rig up some sort of servo and use CH3 on your reciever (if you have one). On demand power!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:07 AM
zeen420
Banned

LOL, what a crazy idea, Like to see how it does! I think it might do a little something, since the gases are compressed you never know. But I think the whole point of it would be not be buying a faster engine..making the one you have now faster....why do people always suggest "just buy a new one"..Ain't broke till ya can't fix it..And then you use duct tape
Old 03-14-2008, 11:18 AM
autoart4you

i'll be geting a OS cv~rx soon so i think i will try to blow up the old VX .18 with a propane injection system like you use for diesel performance i'll be sure to have the video camera set up
Old 03-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Cam_132

This will be cool... hopefully will work! i rember seeing or reading it someware... but i cant remember...
Old 03-14-2008, 04:05 PM
5lagd

just for the record, i asked the question, i didnt tell you to do it!!!!!!!!!!!lol. thats my wrongfull death negligence charge defence. lmao. great discussion though.lol
Old 03-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Cam_132

Hey i want to try it... so if it does work COOL if it does not... ooh well!
Old 03-14-2008, 05:08 PM
RoadBurner

I like the idea as much as everyone else but there are a few things that need to be thought of in this case. First in order to have combustion you need three factors fuel, an oxidizer(air), and heat. Now when we tune our engines we change the amount of fuel, in most cases not the air, into the motor in hopes to make the most power with the amount of air that is introduced. The air is more of a constant in the fuel/air ratio. Meaning we tune the carbs to get the fuel at the right ratio to air or stoichiometric ratio, this point gives the most power and durability. So low elevations have more dense air than higher elevations, so a motor can make more power at a lower elevation because more fuel can be added to the combustion. Now in order to make more power one must increase both air and fuel that is introduced to combustion. This is why nitrous oxide is used to make power, the reason being that nitrous oxide will release the oxygen from the nitrogen at the combustion temperatures, in return giving more air to oxidize the fuel. Nitrous oxide alone will not add power in fact it will throw the fuel/air ratio so lean that the motor will burn and probably melt the piston. So we add more fuel with the nitrous oxide to sablize the fuel/air ratio. Now with that being said adding butane will probably just make the fuel/air mix rich because your displacing the air in order to introduce the butane, and butane is only a compress gas when it is in its container. So if one wanted to add power to the motor one would have to add air as well as fuel to the combustion. For example when we do the porting on the sleeves and crank this allows more air flow and in return we need to let more fuel in by adjusting the carb. Now the fuel we use in our rc motors has methane and methane is an oxygenator and is very similar to nitrous oxide it releases oxygen in the combustion process, so one could conclude that these little motors run similar to a nitrous injected racer. So I don't think the motor will blow unless there is an oxidizer added as well. I don't think it will run any better, if any thing it will run richer.

If i was to try anything I would get a little cartrige of oxygen and port it into the into the carb, and obviously richen the carb settings to match. You know of course this will add too much stress to the piston rod and crank and probably ruin the motor. To much power even at the right fuel/air ratio can still destroy a motor!
Old 03-14-2008, 05:40 PM
AffordableRC

Great writeup there Roadburner, you hit that one on the head. As I said before, the nitro fuels we use are about as nasty as they get so I don't see butane doing anything. RC nitro fuel is comparable to what top fuel dragsters run just with the addition of lubricants.

Most people do not understand what nitrous actually does. Nitrous oxide by itself is not flammable at all, it is simply an oxidizer. To have a combustion you need fuel, air(oxygen) and an ignition source. The more air(oxygen) you have available the more fuel you can throw at it, more fuel/air = more power. The whole point to nitrous is to get more oxygen to the engine to produce more power. It is the same concept as a turbo or supercharger, get more air(oxygen)to the engine.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:44 PM
jumpanddrop

lol if you guys want to just wreck a engine. make some ike 60% nitro feul, that would be fun
Old 03-14-2008, 05:47 PM
AffordableRC

I was just going to say that; if you are looking for more power you are better off trying a nitro fuel with a higher nitromethane percentage. It would have the same effect as adding nitrous.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:49 PM
firebird78

yup./..nitros systems are just cheaper horsepower then turbo's and superchargers....
Old 03-14-2008, 05:50 PM
jumpanddrop

ya thats what im sayin
Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 PM
5lagd

please please please. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont want anyone to wreck their motors just from a thought i had.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 PM
AffordableRC

Don't sweat it man, I'm sure everyone is well aware that damage can be done doing something experimental like this.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Cam_132

I tryed it and it does not... inface i got wors performance pluss i got it back fireing and flames comeing out of the airfilter!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:16 PM
webbl19

ORIGINAL: zeen420

LOL, what a crazy idea, Like to see how it does! I think it might do a little something, since the gases are compressed you never know. But I think the whole point of it would be not be buying a faster engine..making the one you have now faster....why do people always suggest "just buy a new one"..Ain't broke till ya can't fix it..And then you use duct tape
because it is easier to buy new things, sometimes you cant fix what is broke.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Cam_132

ORIGINAL: webbl19

ORIGINAL: zeen420

because it is easier to buy new things, sometimes you cant fix what is broke.
So true... So true
Old 03-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Redharris

ORIGINAL: retard1322

I tryed it and it does not... inface i got wors performance pluss i got it back fireing and flames comeing out of the airfilter!
Well. I think we mostly agreed that THEORY was runnin against you.........but I m glad you tried it anyway.
Some Great leaps have been Made over the centuries because Intrepid inventors flew in the face of theory.

We might have missed some important Variable. You MIGHT have invented the Warp Engine for RC......Lol!
Nice Try........and Mod On!
Old 03-15-2008, 03:34 AM
Swamp3r

Props to retard1322 for trying you have big b@lls I thought the engine would blow up.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:22 AM
RoadBurner

So good job attempting this retard1322 as I suspected it sounds like you just ran it rich, the flames and back firing are characteristics of running to much fuel, if you would have run the butane with some added oxygen or nitrous oxide it probably would have made some power, with of course the risk of totaling the motor. Its like the TV show mythbusters, butane alone, I would say this myth is busted!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.