Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Tornado S30 Gears wont change. PLEASE HELP.

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Tornado S30 Gears wont change. PLEASE HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Scotty78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado S30 Gears wont change. PLEASE HELP.

Ok i have a problem, I only just got this car about 3 days ago, Iv run it in just slowly around the back yard for 4 tanks. I took it to work were there is a long open road to open it up on, Ok so the first time i opened it up it did changed gears and the seconed time as well but that was it. I now have a funny feeling that it might be just driving from seconed gear as it seems to have less low down power and still the high speed it had, I have adjusted the little gub screw on the gear box all the way in and all the way out and in between to see if it would making a differents but still no gear changes, Is there a wat to tell if it just driving from seconed? or if its first and not changing into second or if its just broken. Any help would be awesome. Thankyou. P.S This is the first nitro car iv had in about 10 years so im very rusty.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:12 PM
AffordableRC

Default RE: Tornado S30 Gears wont change. PLEASE HELP.

Looking from the bottom of the car, locate the silver arm that swings out to catch second gear. Get a small allen wrench or similar and try and grab under the arm and pull it out. If it is just flopping around then that confirms the car is stuck in second; if the silver arm is functioning properly you will feel spring pressure when you try to pull it out.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:20 PM
Scotty78

Ok tryed that, Its floppy for about maybe 2mm TO 3mm then i think i can feel some spring pressure. Would that 2 to 3mm be enough to catch the seconed gear?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Scotty78

ok i changed my mind, I just did up gub screw all the way and its still floopy. Ok so this means it broken?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:27 PM
AffordableRC

I don't think its broken. You will have to pull the 2 speed clutch assembly out and rebuild it. There is a ball above the spring, it is what contacts that silver arm that catches second. What I think is happening is the ball is getting stuck on the threads or a burr and is not coming back out to put pressure on the silver arm. I hope I was clear trying to explain that.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Scotty78

ok thankyou very much, I will start to do it now and see what happen and let you know. Thankyou again.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Scotty78

It worked.. Gears changing like a dream now, Thanks again
Old 03-14-2008, 07:55 PM
5lagd

if your car is still fairly new, have you changed your glow plug after break in? you will notice a huge difference when you do.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:28 PM
AffordableRC

Glad to hear you got it working. Now you just need to post a video of that bad boy!
Old 03-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Scotty78

No haven't changed that yet, Its on the list of things to do, I'll try and rope my partner into doing some vids next time i run it Thanks again for all the help. P.s all i have now is a pic...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11100.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	903594  
Old 03-14-2008, 11:00 PM
shackwrrr
My Feedback: (2)

had the same problem with a tsunami the little silver arm opens up and the end torwards the ball digs into the aluminum when it opens and thats what the ball caatches on. I really dont know of any way to fix it for good.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:39 PM
forlorm22

The silver arm thing your talking about ... do you get ahold of it from under the car? and is it the thing thats on the exact oposite side of the gears as the screws?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:12 PM
forlorm22

Ok I reached in up on the bottom of the car and there is a metal "arm" thing that moves around. It seems like I can flip it over from one side to the next is that what your talking about?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Scotty78

Yeah the flappy thing is on the other side of the screws, Its kind of like a half moon shape, I had to take mine all the way out to fix it, It was the little ball in there that was getting stuck just like AffordableRC said it would be. You should be able to take the little cover off the bottom of the car to see if its just flopping around in there, Which mine was so it was out with the whole gear box and then have to take it to bits to get to the clutch, Iv put a pic on to show the clutch, Hope this helped.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45331.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	904391  
Old 03-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Scotty78

Ok just had a drive of mine again and that damn stupid little ball has got stuck again[:@] Does anyone know of a better fix other than taking it to bits everytime the little ball in the clutch for second gear get stuck? To me there has to be something better. Any help would be great. Might have to sell this thing if i can't find a fix and have to take it to bits everytime i drive it...... Thanks for any help..
Old 06-02-2008, 06:41 PM
harley75

Samething happened to mine but it was stuck so i hit it with some wd-40