Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BIG TIME PROBLEM

Ok, took my engine out of the Monsoon and started to pull it apart to see what parts I would need to fix it. It looks like the whole clutch is destroyed. I have no idea what happened, all I know is that I checked everything out when I was having the issue of the bell sliding forward and all looked good. Started her up went about 20 ft and there was a nice pop and that was it. Car wouldn't move. Walked over to it and the clutch was laying all over the place. The bolt that holds it all on broke as well. There are a couple of pics of the bolt. I have the springs for the clutch but that is it. The bearing that was on the shaft busted as well. So I am gonna need everything that goes on the shaft, but the first issue is getting the rest of the bolt out. Can anyone tell me what I need to do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw69086.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	912640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu64744.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	912641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wb76001.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	912642  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: BIG TIME PROBLEM

guess you will have to drill it out if you can. looks like it is in there pretty good.
    Exceed Razor, RedCat Tsumani and wanna be Volcano

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

might be needing a new crank. not an easy task to get them out.
    Cen truggy, Bigfoot 1/5th, Cen buggy, Mg16, Redcat Earthquake, Redcat Drifter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

that is what I am worried about. It is a rather small hole, and an even smaller bolt shaft.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

darn Sean...u just havin a heck of a time huh bro?...that screw is so small it will be hard to drill out..I'm bettin its in there pretty goo too...man I dont even know if they make a left handed drill bit that small...and I'm almost positive they dont make an easy out that small
    keep the shiney side up, the hammer down and the marshalls bored.....himoto rxb-1...himotoracingusa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what would cause the bolt to snap like it did? Or does anyone even know?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: firebird78

darn Sean...u just havin a heck of a time huh bro?...that screw is so small it will be hard to drill out..I'm bettin its in there pretty goo too...man I dont even know if they make a left handed drill bit that small...and I'm almost positive they dont make an easy out that small
    Yeah I know. That is what I was telling dad. I am literally getting to the point of giving up. I can't afford this car anymore. Even if I do figure out a way to get the bolt out, I still don't have money to get a new clutch and everything else I will need.[]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sounds like your clutch might have been binding. When that screw loosens up a bit, and the clutchbell starts to come off, it will wobble and the bearings will fall apart fast. Then it probably was binding with the spur, and then it snapped.
    Every monsoon I sell now, I tell them from the start, take off the clutchbell and replace the washer that goes on the outside of the clutchbell. They put this cheesy brass washer and the fall apart fast.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

huh....that is funny. When I first checked the bolt, before this issue now, It didn't have any kind of washer on the outside. And I never took the bolt out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

my suggestion is get a new one if ya can.....engine replacemnt program..ya prolly tightend it too much..sorry bro...I know its tuff but ya might need to put it on the shelf fer a bit
    keep the shiney side up, the hammer down and the marshalls bored.....himoto rxb-1...himotoracingusa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if you look carefully you should see a brass ring after the screw head. That is supposed to be a washer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah, for a really long bit. My wife already told me that I wasn't getting anymore money for my cars. She is set on buying a house next year, so she is pinching every penny. Can't really be mad at her about that, but it sucks for me having these 2 cars sitting there just collecting dust. All I can really say right now is THIS SUCKS!!![:@] Heck, maybe I will just sell both of my cars to someone cheap for parts or a project car.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nope, wasn't one there, and there definitely isn't one now. When it busted everything was laying right there on the chassis. There is a bushing on the inside of the clutch bell, and it was laying there with a nice crack in it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

of course as small as it is, I might not have noticed it before, and when the clutch bit the dust it probably shattered like everything else and went flying....I don't know.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thats propably what happened.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I am gonna take it over to dads tomorrow and we are gonna see what we can do. If I can't get it fixed it looks like I will be hanging up the controller for a while........a long while...........on both cars.[]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if you cant get it out, I will see what I can do to get you a used crank. I might be able to get my hands on one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, we think we might be able to use the one out of dads old hurricane motor. Not sure yet. I will keep you guys updated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll check 2morrow if I have a left handed drill bit...I think thats ur best option for success...not sure if I got one that small but I will check

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if redcats site is correct the crankshaft is the same Sean...thats if his old engine is the sh.28 p3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe it is. We will see what happens.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

just dont bugger it up to bad trying to get it out Sean...if I got a small enuff bit it should wiz it right on out bro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys for the help. I will let you know what happens with it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have had this issue constantly, Redcat really needs to look into this. I went through three whole clutch assemblies and a crankshaft. I had the screw break off on mine too. The last one that I put on with the new crank, ofna aluminum clutch shoes, gold springs it is seeming to hold up but, I don't want to speak too soon. I was just checking it out today and it looks like the screw is starting to bend cuz when I turn the motor over I can see the screw is not spinning true, AGAIN!!!!! I have put maybe 6 tanks of gas on this particular assembly and it is already showing bad signs. When my last screw broke off, I noticed that it was kind of wobbly when it spun. I didn't know it was bad because I thought that since the sleeve that goes over the screw protruded out of the clutchbell by about 1/8" and the sleeve might not be cut exactlly flat. Maybe I am wrong but, when I rebuilt everything this last time, the screw was spinning true. Someone PLEASE help us.. I have spent over 70 bucks now (just in clutches) and I dont want to spend anymore..[:@]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sorry bro...ran to the shop to see if I had a small enuff bit...smallest I have is a 1/8...and its to big...try an automotive store to see if u can get a small enuff one...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast