Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

clutch shoes

Old 03-30-2008, 08:20 PM
shoota0075

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch shoes

what signs am i looking for to tell if my clutch shoes are bad, i replaced my clutch spring with the traxxass spring ,but i noticed that my clutch shoes had some black marks on them ,but other wise that looked solid, they don't seem to be misshaped , or worn out ,other than that what exactly am i looking for to determine if they need to be replaced?
Old 03-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Redharris

Default RE: clutch shoes

The performance of your Clutch is a Big Clue......Does it work well?
Visually,,,,,
A little discoloration is to be expected....
Check for badly or un-evenly worn shoes or worn/out of shape holes where the Spring goes into the shoe.
Check the springs for uniformity. If they are bent out of shape,,,,toss em.
Check the flywheel while you're at it....Bent pins are not good.
Check the clutch bell. Does it WOBBLE very much at all, especially when you Spin it? It Shouldnt if the bearings are good.
The shims inside the clutch bell should be flat and not mis-shappen.
The inside of the clutchbell should be pretty smooth, If it is rough or gouged, it will eat up your clutchshoes Real fast, (or worse, it might bind and fail catastrophically).

Lol....I THINK that covers it.....
Old 03-31-2008, 01:12 AM
shoota0075

great info ... thanks
Old 03-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Livewire1978

i need some help i am trying to switch to 2 speed setup and i would like to get some info on the best parts and what i need i want to change to a racing flywheel and a better clutch setup also would like to know the best bell housing and and how many teeth please help for i am in need
Old 03-31-2008, 04:10 PM
7M

ORIGINAL: Livewire1978

i need some help i am trying to switch to 2 speed setup and i would like to get some info on the best parts and what i need i want to change to a racing flywheel and a better clutch setup also would like to know the best bell housing and and how many teeth please help for i am in need
Well, the best clutch bell u can get is a 13/18T HPI clutch bell with the RS4 Teflon clutch. You won't have to worry about the flywheel, unless you have deep pockets.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:36 PM
Redharris

ORIGINAL: Livewire1978

First ....What car do you have....lol
Second....Most folks here will tell you it is a BAD idea to convert to a 2 speed tranny, for a Variety of reasons.....
Third...If you Really decide that you MUST do this....we can talk you through it, but I dont think you will be happy with the Process OR the results....