Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

one problem after another

Old 04-20-2008, 11:26 AM
need2drag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one problem after another

So I finally got my motor for my Monsoon back together, and was trying to run it and tune it. Unfortunately the carb would close completely when I hit the brakes. So I was working on that. All of a sudden the carb stuck wide open. I can't get it to close. What would cause this? Also the front end of my Tornado went to crap. I had it running really good, and my buddy was driving it, and one of the front lower a-arms busted, broke a front shock, lost one of the dogbones, and also lost the dogbone from the center diff to the rear diff. I don't know how in the world all of this happened. We didn't hit anything with the car, nor did it tumble any. It just fell apart.

As far as the Monsoon goes I am not sure what happened to it either. The carb won't close at all. I am going to take the carb apart and see if I can fix it. If not, it looks like I will be done with RC cars for a while. I have been replacing parts, and fixing things for a long time now, and haven't really had any good run time. Everytime I go out to bash something breaks, or falls apart. I used to be one that tried to encourage people not to give up, but I have come to the point now, where I am going to have to give up. I can't afford this hobby anymore.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:16 PM
rclynx

Default RE: one problem after another

So I finally got my motor for my Monsoon back together, and was trying to run it and tune it. Unfortunately the carb would close completely when I hit the brakes. So I was working on that. All of a sudden the carb stuck wide open. I can't get it to close. What would cause this? Also the front end of my Tornado went to crap. I had it running really good, and my buddy was driving it, and one of the front lower a-arms busted, broke a front shock, lost one of the dogbones, and also lost the dogbone from the center diff to the rear diff. I don't know how in the world all of this happened. We didn't hit anything with the car, nor did it tumble any. It just fell apart.
This could have happened from a bump you did earlier and didn't notice that you bent a dog bone.............unfortunatly when the dog bone decides to come apart it forces its way out and breaks the lower arm some times. When you replace the dog bones paint them white [&o]

[&:][][>:][&o][:-] <thats the order of this sport

Carb should be easy..............did you tighten the large nut where the LSN is?................you should be able to fix this problem pretty easy [:-]
Old 04-20-2008, 01:40 PM
need2drag

I will see what I can do. And as far as the dogbone goes. He hadn't been driving it long, and the dogbones were new, so I know they weren't bent when he first started. He only got through about 1/4 of a tank, and that is when it started falling apart. I don't know what happened, all I know is I don't have money to fix it, so it is just going to sit and collect dust for a while.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:21 PM
AffordableRC

That sucks bro, sorry to hear that. Breaking and fixing things is just kinda part of the hobby, it happens to every brand RC. If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

-Derek
Old 04-20-2008, 04:07 PM
need2drag

I understand that things breaking and having to fix them is part of the hobby, but I can't run for 2 minutes without something going wrong. I am just finding it funny that dad has an HPI savage, and has been beating the crap out of it, and his neighbor has a T-maxx and has beat the crap out of that thing, and they have not had near as many issues as I have had. It just bothers me, that no matter how careful I am, something breaks, or just falls apart. I actually took time to add up how much I have spent on parts, and I could have bought a new car by now. I knew when I got into this I would have to spend some money on parts and such, but these 2 cars have literally broke me. The last $100 worth of parts I had to get, dad had to pay for them, cuz I had no money, and now I am going to need another $40 plus in parts, and have no money to do it with, and I don't expect my dad to do it. I am truly beginning to believe that getting into this hobby was a bad idea, so I am gonna just put a stop to it now. I have used entirely too much money from savings, and I can't do it anymore. I am not pissed off by this, just upset that I can't ever get a good day of running in. I tried to get my Monsoon tuned after spending about 2 hrs, completely rebuilding the motor, just for the carb to go to crap on me. Maybe someday I will be able to return to the hobby, but for now it is just going to have to wait.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Boxhead from MN

Sorry to hear about your luck. I've had my Volcano for about four months and have been

lucky to not break anything major. Things happen no matter what brand you have.

It's a great hobby but can get expensive real fast.

Keep asking questions. The guys on this forum are extremely knowledgeable.

They will help you through the problems. Hope you stick with it.

Chris
Old 04-20-2008, 07:17 PM
need2drag

The help has been great, it is just the fact that I have no money to spend on it anymore. We are trying to buy a house next year, and I have been draining money from that to keep my cars running. I just can't afford it anymore. I want to stay with the hobby, and continue to grow with it, but I just can't do that anymore. I understand that every brand is going to break parts, and have it's little issues, but these cars are always falling apart on me. I can usually only drive for 2-3 minutes before something goes wrong, and it is always something that stops me from driving them. I have yet to take my cars and run them for a good whole day without something breaking or falling off, or just something totally going wrong with them. It is just one of those things where it has gotten so frustrating, I need to take a break from it. I hope someday I will be able to bash again, but I doubt it will be with either one of these cars.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:20 PM
todd0276

Brothers and Sisters we are gathered here today to pay our respects to need2drag. He was a fine hobbiest, and he we will all miss him dearly. Fear not brothers and sisters for it is said that on his next pay day, brother need2drag will return to us, and we will rejoice. But until that day comes...R.I.P. brother need2drag, we hope you're happy in that big hobby shop in the sky.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:25 PM
need2drag

I wish I could rejoin the RC nation on my next payday.....but that ain't gonna happen.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:29 PM
todd0276

sounds like you're in the same boat as my friend. He and I just got started in this about a month ago and already he's had enough.

Oh well, doo doo occurs!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:54 PM
AffordableRC

Everyone gets frustrated once in awhile in this hobby, I wish I could tell you all the horror stories I had with my old Traxxas nitro cars. [sm=angry_smile.gif]

-Derek
Old 04-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Chubbysdad

You got that right Derek, happens to the best of them.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:28 PM
papax5p

Son you need to calm down. When we get back from the races this weekend we'll make some time and you need to bring you vehicles over here and we'll work on them together. You're the one that got me hooked on this and I'll be damm if your going to stop now!! Besides, I just had to order parts for the Savage tonight!! 2 BROKE NOW WAITING ON PARTS!!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Chubbysdad

lol you tell um papa
Old 04-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Swamp3r

Ground him too papa. 2 weeks with no tv or rc's
Old 04-21-2008, 12:17 PM
need2drag

I figured he would say something before too long. lol...It is not that I am giving up on it, it is just I don't have money to spend on it right now, and I don't want my dad to spend money on mine anymore. And what do you mean 2 broke? I didn't know the hurricane was broke? I am going to try and piece together the tornado with parts from 2 other chassis I have recieved, but I am not sure if it will work. One is dad's old condor, and then I think the other one was a tsunami. Dennis would know which one it is. I know the dogbones are different on all of them, but I am gonna try and make something work. As far as the Monsoon goes, I need to pull the carb off, and see if I can get it to close. If I can get that to happen, then hopefully I can figure out what caused it, and stop it from happening again. I think I let me frustrations get the best of me this time, and having the wife in my ear saying, "No more money on your cars", didn't help the situation any. lol....I will keep everyone updated on what I get figured out.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:22 PM
papax5p

Don't forget I still have the other engine that we can take the carb off if needed.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:05 PM
need2drag

Sorry for the venting everyone. Just got rather frustrated with the cars this weekend. I got the carb pulled off of the Monsoon, and It seems that it was pulled open to far, and the inner sleeve I guess you would call it, got caught on the outside of the carb. I fixed that, so now I just need to get some gas so I can start her up and try to get it tuned again. The tornado is another story. lol...In all, I am going to have to get a front lower a-arm, front shock, front dogbone, rear differential, rear dogbone, and so far that is all I have made it. I am feeling a little better about things, but still am going to have to wait a while to get parts, due to not having the funds. Hopefully I can get the Monsoon working right, so I atleast have one car working. I will keep you guys updated as I progress. Thanks for all the support, and comments and keeping me alive, and good spirited in this.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 PM
mrlee2071

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey buddy,
I had the same problem with the carb on my sh28. I seemed that the throttle linkage was not lined up properly (causing a twisting motion in the slide). I had to realign the nipple on the carb so that the linkage and the nipple were traveling straight. ( if that makes sense) Loosen up the set screw and twist the nipple so that everything is moving in the same direction.
OK before anyone says anything about the term nipple, I am currently on vicodine and muscle relaxers for a bad back and can't think of the correct term....... lol
I hope that made sense.
Lee (I think)[&o]
Old 04-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Swamp3r

I know how you feel mrlee2071 I'm constantly on t-4's for pain and I can never think of the right words either. Hope the back gets better.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:26 AM
Redharris

Slide carbs are known for sticking from time to time.
Could be caused by a number of things, some of which have already been Mentioned.
A binding linkage may have caused some irregular wear/burr.
Could be a piece of O-Ring jammed in the slide.
Might be a spec of Dirt that fell in the carb when you removed the filter for cleaning.
Possibly a broken needle (that happened to my buddies Revo).

Brother, I too understand your Frustration.....
I had a little trouble getting my Monsoon going right when I first got it. (It was my first 1/8 vehicle).
And I just recently tuned it up SWEETLY and it promptly broke Something in the drive train. The real world intervened, and I havent even had time to LOOK at it yet. But I WILL fix it, because I Love my Monsoon. It has a few Quirks (what rc Doesn't?), but overall it is a great vehicle.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:08 PM
need2drag

don't get my wrong. I love my Monsoon. I just wish I could get one good day of running it, especially with my dad. I am sure one of these days, I will have it running like a champ, I think I was just getting impatient with it and let it get the best of me. I will be alright though. Hopefully I can get some work done to it this week and get it back running again.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:12 PM
mrlee2071

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Bro,
Doc's are working on it. Fortunatly running the RC's are'nt too hard on the back..
Lee
Old 04-22-2008, 10:30 PM
nubzorz

yea i felt that way when i first got my car first a wheel broke i was pretty mad seeing as i just got it and wanted to drive it alot and i had no spare wheels so i was screwed for a while then i hit a pot hole and the car just went into it and slammed into the curd and i bent the arm pin for the suspention, bent the front shock tower,smashed a shock,snapped a front lower suspention arm and bent the chassis it wasnt fun when that happened i just felt like finding a new hobby but then i realized thats the hobby things happen probly not a good hobby for people with no job lol cause its not cheap. once i got it all fixed i only run it in wide open areas where there is no holes or debris to hit and its so fun now im always thinking somthings gonna happen where i lose control like batteries or the brakes die on me and i smash into a wall at 40mph