Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

High idle, stalls when braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Lawdawg203

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle, stalls when braking

I got my Tsunami Ultra-wide yesterday and immediately found that upon braking the engine would stall. I posted in another forum where someone told me to adjust the idle up to the point of the car almost taking off but that didnt help. I adjusted the throttle linkage and got it to idle good and brake fine but during the last part of my break in I felt the motor was under powered. When I got home I found that the carb was not opening all the way. I adjusted that, now it runs like a bat out of hell but.....

When I applied the brakes, the engine stalls. I did some more adjustments with the throttle linkage and got the brakes to work but now the engine idles so high I don't even need to use the throttle to drive it at a moderate speed. As I adjust the idle down I can hear the engine starting to stall upon braking and the closer I get to an idle that just keeps the car in place it again stalls on braking.

I saw in a different thread that someone was having a similar problem but it was resolved over the phone and no helpful tips were given.

Any help is appreciated.....thanks,

Jeff
Old 04-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Cam_132

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: High idle, no brakes

the easyist way to determin what is wrong is to make a video or get pics.... prefered video...

just becouse it makes it eayser
Old 04-26-2008, 01:34 AM
ranger4x4

once the idle is set. you then need to start adjusting your brake linkage not the throttle linkage. both the throttle and brake should have some sort of adjustment
Old 04-26-2008, 01:45 AM
rc rock

one important rule is to adjust the idle after the engine is warm and the other needles are adjusted (read it someware.................i think)
Old 04-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Cam_132

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok ya now i know... check your th. trim and your brake setings... my trick is that you keep it at idel and make sure it moves and then aply full brakes and if the brakes dont lock up then adjust till they lock up then back to idel and see if the brakes drag... they should not but... you never know! and if they do back the brakes off...
Old 04-26-2008, 01:54 AM
ranger4x4

that is good rule of thumb.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:08 AM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

Is it possible clutch spring is broken? Stalling when braking could be a sign. Will it start with wheels on ground? If not, it seems likely it is clutch spring.

If it is indeed just the adjustment of the throttle and brake linkage, check this thread.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7404095/tm.htm[/link]
Old 04-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Lawdawg203

Clutch spring seems to be fine, it starts easily with the wheels on the ground. I can get it to idle fine without moving but as soon as I apply the brakes the engine shuts off.

I just need to figure out how to adjust the carb so when the brakes are applied it does not close the carb.

Unfortunately I spent all my money on a car so I can't get a video camera...LOL but if i come across one I will get some videos.

Thanks for all the responses,

Jeff
Old 04-26-2008, 01:48 PM
dar123

it sounds as if you need to adjust the idle screw on the carb, not the trim on your controller![)]
Old 04-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Lawdawg203

I think its even more than the idle screw because when I turn the idle down that is when the engine starts to stall when the brakes are applied. But i too believe it is more than a trim adjustment....

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 04-26-2008, 02:24 PM
dar123

what i ment was that you need to pull off your linkages to your carb! mess around with the screw until there is a 1-1.5 mm gap! then turn your throttle trim to normal! and then adjust your linkages! and then with any luck at all your car should stop stalling!
Old 04-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Lawdawg203

Sweet, just the info I was looking for. I am going to go do it now and I will let you know if that works of if my nOObieness needs more help.

Next question for everyone to think about is going to be........

What should the allignment of the tires look like? Toe in v. out, caster v camber?

Thanks again guys,

Jeff
Old 04-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Lawdawg203

Thank you Dar123 and everyone else, got it going good now. Nice idle and no stalling when braking. I did exactly what you said....Disconnected the thorottle linkage, set the carb til it had a 1-1.5mm opening then adjusted the linkage until it operated properly.

Thanks again for everyones help.....

If anyone has any advice for wheel setup please let me know.....

Jeff