Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

New to this, buying a SV Pro

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:51 PM
reeldeals1st

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this, buying a SV Pro

[size=2]So Im going to buy a Volcano SV Pro. I have been reading this forum trying to get a better undertanding of what Im getting into. Im getting the Pro for the upgrades that come with it, but have some questions. Should I get the 2 speed or Single? Is the Infinity motor really better than the other options offered? Is the tuned pipe that comes with it any good. What things should I look into getting to upgrade as far as intake, exhaust, and so on. Where is a good source to purchase these things? Like I said, Im new to this but want things to be right. What kind of speeds do these things actually make? All the ads say 60-65 mph, but I have a hard time believeing that. Thanks in advance. Im really feeling hooked already. -Jeff
Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE: New to this, buying a SV Pro

welcome to the hobby man. a single speed is good for offroad, most people switch to a single speed, and you would be better off with a direct drive from clermont, makes it one single gear. the exhaust that comes with it is tuned and aluminum, so you dont have to do anything with that but you could get a header to improve performance. i have the infinitive from exceed but its the same as a volcano, and with a direct drive, rpm tuned associated pipe, and high flow intake i got about 39 mph. im not too sure about stock though, someone will tell you. and thats with the vx18. good places to order are from redcat, clermontmotorsports, allaboutfunhobbies, himoto (mostly same as redcat), dont remember anybody else sorry if i forgot you and thats in a random order.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:37 AM
rc rock

u really don't want to get the pro now with the s30 available....
Old 04-29-2008, 01:44 AM
reeldeals1st

Can you explain why? That was pretty vague.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:39 AM
rc rock

ORIGINAL: reeldeals1st

Can you explain why? That was pretty vague.
yeah i know i just woke up.

the sv pro comes with an engine which is not better than the vx.18 which is stock
it comes with a lot of aluminum which will make your truck heavier and is not neccesarilly better, it transfers the impact to other plastic parts ad it is way more expensive to replace,it's just for bling.

the volcano s30 comes with the sh.18 a very good engine and one of the best upgrades you can get for your truck (way better then the infinity .18 and the vx.18) it also comes with an alluminum tuned pipe and a header. it is cheaper than the pro but a little more expensive the the sv ($30 only the tune pipe nd header are worth that much the engine is worth $90 from the redcat site)

you can see the s30 will be faster than the pro will cost less to repair and it is a little cheaper.
if you want a shelf queen the sv pro is a good choice it looks real nice.....
Old 04-29-2008, 02:49 AM
Swamp3r

I'd have to agree the sh engine is great, I have 3 of them and never had a problem, and aluminum parts do transfer impact to other parts. And when the aluminum parts break it's expensive.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 AM
nitrozach54
Banned

I accually disagree, go for the PRO, my volcano is upgraded to about the S30 and i wish i had the pro everyday, every part I have broken is auminum on the PRO, and they break so often you will end up switching to aluminum and spend $300, instead of the $50 extra for the PRO
and dont worry about speed, that was a big think with me until i got it, I dont now exact but it will be fast and you wont care.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 AM
rc rock

ORIGINAL: nitrozach54

I accually disagree, go for the PRO, my volcano is upgraded to about the S30 and i wish i had the pro everyday, every part I have broken is auminum on the PRO, and they break so often you will end up switching to aluminum and spend $300, instead of the $50 extra for the PRO
and dont worry about speed, that was a big think with me until i got it, I dont now exact but it will be fast and you wont care.
you would just break something else
Old 04-29-2008, 08:36 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

LOL. Aluminum looks nice and is realativly strong, BUT it will bend and you can't bend it back, considering this is your first nitro car, your going to hit all kinds of stuff and break lots of things, so I would deffinatly not suggest getting the aluminum Pro version, it will get mighty expensive at $35 bucks a pop for A-arms as opposed to $3 or $5 bucks a pop for A-arms.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:13 PM
nitrozach54
Banned

but is sooooo pretty!
Old 04-29-2008, 02:33 PM
reeldeals1st

Well I just ordered the S30. The reason I really wanted the Pro was for the aluminum, but it sounds like it might be more of a headache than its worth. Are there anythings I should order now so it can be here when the truck arrives? Anything I can get to make it more reliable and faster Im all for. I would also like to get some road tires. Are there certain sizes I should look at and where would be a good place to get them? Thanks again, Im sure you'll be hearing more from me. -Jeff
Old 04-29-2008, 03:54 PM
nitrozach54
Banned

get spur grears.
the ones on Redcats stip frequently and easily
it will happen eventually to be prepared!
Old 04-29-2008, 04:44 PM
reeldeals1st

What is the differance between the number of teeth? I have also read about a direct drive that will solve the stripping issues, but cant find it on the Clermont site. Also something about clutch bells. What is the best way to go? Could someone post a link to the things I will need and tell me why? thanks -Jeff

Also, are there metal ones that wont strip so easy?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:55 AM
ranger4x4

as for the clutchbell for the direct drive you will need a 13 tooth, and the direct drive doesn't have the gear reducers so it gives better power from having less gears to turn and less parts in it, http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/...oducts_id/1432 that is the clutchbell you'll need for the direct drive. you could always ask allaboutfun or himotoracingusa for the directdrive they have them. i got it in my viper xet (volcano sv) and it's a lot better than the stock setup. and as for the metal spur gear they don't have any because they would just transfer the power with no give and the diffs would get hurt instead of the spur gear. you need the plastic spur gear. it is the weak point for a reason.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:11 AM
nubzorz

i would try towerhobbies.com or amainhobbies.com ,clermontmotorsports.com and you wont need much to get started i would upgrade your air intake to a motorsaver with the rain and mud gaurd for offroading but yea as somone else said here alluminum parts are kinda for bling and there so exspensive that you might start to baby your car after you get alluminum parts. also for the amount that you pay for lets say a set of alluminum arms you could buy 4 sets of plastic ones i pretty much stock up on alot of arms, glowplugs,linkages you never know whats going to break
Old 05-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Cam_132

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya and my frend and i did a crash test and we (me and rob (redcat vancouver)) crashed them into a wall cliping one wheel and my plastic arms brok at the pivit and no other damage was done... i tryed the alu ones and riped out the bluckheads and some other stuff... so ya go with the s30! it is a lot beter... i have a tornado XL and it has the vx-18 and it is a POS! and i am upgradeing to a sh-18 or a OS CV-R 18 and i alredy have the tuned pipe and geting the new header so i can go way faster!