Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

How?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:28 AM
nitrozach54
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How?

heres the deal, just put in the direct drive from ClermontHobby and also put a new exause gasket in and then disaster struck.
i started my volcano up and drove out of the garage. went no more than 100 feet and my radio glitched on me,(I was 30 feet from the truck at the time). I chased after it, It hit my pool and flipped over, then the servo arm fell out and it was WIDE OPEN! Then the new spur gear stripped out and the engine went balistic, hiting higher rpms than it ever had and making a terriblely high pitch whine that i have never heared out of a nitro. I reached it and pinched the fuel line, it shut off imeaditly, not gaining rpm befory dying. this all happed in about 30 seconds. I sat there next to it and heared a strange hissing noise... []
I figued that the fuel tank was under pressure somehow, so i tryed to remove the tube from the pipe to the tank, it was very hard. I noticed that my aluminum tuned pipe had been crumpled, like it was under a great sucking power. some how the engine was sucking on the exaust pipe.. I dont know how ths happened. can somebody please tell me what caused this or how it happened, do i need a new engine?
please help me
Old 04-29-2008, 08:20 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Default RE: How?

Well, I would think you crushed the exhaust pipe in the wreck rather than the engine sucked it in to a crushed state. The fuel line was probablly stiff from the engine running all crazy and over heating the fuel line causing it to get brittle, I would think, only logical thing I can come up with. The hissing was probablly fuel boiling off the over heated engine from it running at such high rpms with nothing to stop it from running as fast as it can.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:35 AM
ugly duck

ORIGINAL: nitrozach54

It hit my pool and flipped over, then the servo arm fell out and it was WIDE OPEN! Then the new spur gear stripped out and the engine went balistic, hiting higher rpms than it ever had and making a terriblely high pitch whine that i have never heared out of a nitro. I reached it and pinched the fuel line, it shut off imeaditly, not gaining rpm befory dying. this all happed in about 30 seconds. I sat there next to it and heared a strange hissing noise... []
Damn, does that sound familiar. Happened to me a couple weeks ago, except it was a curb and not a pool, and the starter handle held open the throttle instead of the arm coming off. Mine happened because I hit a jump badly and the impact shut off the truck radio - a Failsafe wouldn't have helped, because my buddy had the same thing happen to him on his failsafe-equpped Jammin just after it happened to me. He didn't wreck his, though.

I tend to believe that the engine got shifted in the impact, and that stripped the spur gear - not the extreme RPMs. The muffler on mine was still the plastic one and it never got crushed, but it popped right off the exhaust manifold. I don't believe that it would suck it closed either, by the way - the flat sided plastic fuel tank would have collapsed first. By the way - after my big impact, my fuel tank started leaking... check yours. Also check your servo saver because after my hit, the SS has a big gouge in one part and the steering never returns to the same place even though the servo does. THIS is a part that could be made in aluminium, but it's not!

I bought a new connecting rod just in case, but I haven't installed it yet. I've run it for an hour or so since and some of the time at max RPMs for seconds on end, but aluminium (the connecting rod) will eventually stress out and break, so a new con rod is good insurance for an engine you think over-revved. Hell, it's good insurance for an older engine! There's a reason why connecting rods in F.S. street engines are steel and not aluminium - so long as steel isn't overstressed, it'll spring back into position almost indefinitely. Aluminium WILL eventually break, given enough cycles or stress.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:10 PM
nitrozach54
Banned

hmmmm...
thats a better explanation al about and duck, thanks
so theres nothing wrong with the engine?
I am upset that clermont sent me himote parts not redcat, even tho they are similar.
Redcat and clermont both need to but a short discription of thier parts like Towerhobbies does.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:12 PM
nitrozach54
Banned

ORIGINAL: ugly duck

It hit my pool and flipped over, then the servo arm fell out and it was WIDE OPEN! Then the new spur gear stripped out and the engine went balistic, hiting higher rpms than it ever had and making a terriblely high pitch whine that i have never heared out of a nitro. I reached it and pinched the fuel line, it shut off imeaditly, not gaining rpm befory dying. this all happed in about 30 seconds. I sat there next to it and heared a strange hissing noise... []
Damn, does that sound familiar. Happened to me a couple weeks ago, except it was a curb and not a pool, and the starter handle held open the throttle instead of the arm coming off. Mine happened because I hit a jump badly and the impact shut off the truck radio - a Failsafe wouldn't have helped, because my buddy had the same thing happen to him on his failsafe-equpped Jammin just after it happened to me. He didn't wreck his, though.

I tend to believe that the engine got shifted in the impact, and that stripped the spur gear - not the extreme RPMs. The muffler on mine was still the plastic one and it never got crushed, but it popped right off the exhaust manifold. I don't believe that it would suck it closed either, by the way - the flat sided plastic fuel tank would have collapsed first. By the way - after my big impact, my fuel tank started leaking... check yours. Also check your servo saver because after my hit, the SS has a big gouge in one part and the steering never returns to the same place even though the servo does. THIS is a part that could be made in aluminium, but it's not!

I bought a new connecting rod just in case, but I haven't installed it yet. I've run it for an hour or so since and some of the time at max RPMs for seconds on end, but aluminium (the connecting rod) will eventually stress out and break, so a new con rod is good insurance for an engine you think over-revved. Hell, it's good insurance for an older engine! There's a reason why connecting rods in F.S. street engines are steel and not aluminium - so long as steel isn't overstressed, it'll spring back into position almost indefinitely. Aluminium WILL eventually break, given enough cycles or stress.
Meh im not too worried, i can always just send in for a new engine.
besides, I dont really know alot about engines.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:53 PM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

Could the radio issue be related to the problems Redcat has had with their radios? Check the following.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7312004/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7312004/tm.htm[/link]
Old 04-29-2008, 05:21 PM
a4d2a0m

nope.......Volcano's have the AM remotes
Old 04-30-2008, 03:56 PM
nitrozach54
Banned

yes I was using the AM radio
but after the crash I had my dad stand by the car and i went over 100 yards before the radio stopped responding.
and i was no mere than 10 yards away when I lost control. I belive that it was a radio glitch.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:19 PM
perhamrocks

but after the crash I had my dad stand by the car and i went over 100 yards before the radio stopped responding.
and i was no mere than 10 yards away when I lost control. I belive that it was a radio glitch.
or..... your batteries were low or dead, or..... your antenna is bad. I tore my antenna on a roll over, and my car wasnt recieving signal from about 10 yards and farther away, but i didnt' have an accident.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:04 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

hmmmm...
thats a better explanation al about and duck, thanks
so theres nothing wrong with the engine?
I am upset that clermont sent me himote parts not redcat, even tho they are similar.
Redcat and clermont both need to but a short discription of thier parts like Towerhobbies does.

So what's the difference, if they were himoto or redcat. I'm just currious?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:18 PM
a4d2a0m

Same thing happened to my volcano. Turns out the switch on the truck was making a lousy connection.(after I chased it down I couldn't get any response from the servos until I wiggled the switch and it work for a while then out again.) switched it to a toggle switch and works fine.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:40 PM
nitrozach54
Banned

false
the hump pack was full charged, no disconnected battery switch antena
radio glitch Im sure
Old 05-02-2008, 03:46 PM
bluecaka69

tahts the problem eith asm radios you never know if someone around you is using the same or similar frequency for radio broadcasting or other but my advise to you is invest some money into a good fm radio you will be so much happier
Old 05-02-2008, 04:14 PM
chevyderek72

so fm doesnt have freq.??
Old 05-02-2008, 04:17 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Yes FM has a frequency. Fm is a stronger more stable raio wave.