Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why do you need after run oil?

I searched the forums but can't find a reasonable answer. I heard people talking about the fuel evaporating and with that said, causing rust to appear.
    I really find that hard to believe unless you are running fuel with NO oil added. When the glow fuel evaporates, the oil will be left from the fuel. I pulled my engine out of my tremor to fix the one way bearing and had a glance at the connecting rod and crank. It has been 7 days since I ran it, and to this day there is still plenty of oil left from the fuel. All internal parts are still covered in oil. Including the one way bearing! 8-(
    And I must say, the connecting rod in the SH .07 engine is beautiful! bushed rod ends! Just beautiful!

Does anyone else see the same things in my shoes?
    AllAboutFunHobbies / Himoto Racing USA / Redcat Racing / MXT-2S / MTR-2S / XMod / and a few Tremors

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Why do you need after run oil?

it depends on what fuel your running (ie. traxxas fuel has too much oil)
    it's a good idea to use after run oil because it lubes up the internals and hels the fuel evaporate...
    i\'\'m gonna live forever, or die trying...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rc rock

it depends on what fuel your running (ie. traxxas fuel has too much oil)
    it's a good idea to use after run oil because it lubes up the internals and hels the fuel evaporate...
    I guess it does make sense that it depends on the fuel. I for one run the Traxxas Top Fuel 20% and I must say that may be why I see so much oil inside the engine after a week of not running. I agree, there is ALOT of oil in my fuel. I guess if there was a higher percentage of the fuel and lessor percentage of oil, I can see the methanol, and the other chemicals removing the oil residue.
    When I first heard of after-run oil, I was like holy crap!, I didn't use that after I ran my truck. My engine is going to be ruined! So I pulled the back off to clean the oil off the one way bearing and noticed alot of oil still on the rod, piston, crank, crankcase, ect....
    Well, I can tell ya first hand, if you do run Traxxas fuel, you don't have to worry about after run oil. Your parts will be lubed severely just running the fuel.
    Thanks for the reply buddy!

JP
    AllAboutFunHobbies / Himoto Racing USA / Redcat Racing / MXT-2S / MTR-2S / XMod / and a few Tremors

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i use the top fuel 20% also i have had the car for months and have never used after run oil and it runs just as great as the day i got it. most of the pro's will say you dont need after run oil if you run your car at least once or twice a week im guessing after run oil is best for cars that sit for weeks at a time
    Maxx 2.5, Revo 3.3, Savage XL,Ofna lx1,Tornado BB,Pede xl-5,exceed infinity,redcat lightning, redcat Vortex SS,CEN FF/NX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you don't need after run oil its just better to be safe than sorry when you let you rig set a while [)] almost forgot [&:] I do use after run oil on all my break ins after every tank on the cool down
    Custom Cars bring out the stars / Home of the RCLYNX, RC IMPROVEMENT, MOD, SALES & SERVICE Dealer;XTM, CEN, HPI & much more

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have yet to hear a definitive answer from any car guys but was advised by many a boat guru to always use afterrun. Reasoning behind this was simple nitro naturally absorbs moisture (watervapor) so as the motor runs you draw in the water via the air only to have it deposited in the engine, this is not an issue while running because of the heat but a sitting motor will draw moisture from the air then evaporates the fuel leaving the little amount of oil content and the all corrosive moisture. Now maybe this is a little different in cars because we are land based and use air filters. While my boats of course are wet most of the day (duh) an draw more moisture (maybe?) because we run without airfilters. Just my two cents an take on it, but for piece of mind an never having to have a siezed piston again (happened trashed a new sleeve/piston on an ops .45) I use it everyday I run.
    Another tidbit, if your motors tuned an your leaned out, how much oil is still in the toasty warm motor? Not enough for my piece of mind.

-Wayne