Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Very sloppy steering in Lightning VX!! Help!!

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Very sloppy steering in Lightning VX!! Help!!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
tomcatguy74
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very sloppy steering in Lightning VX!! Help!!

Hello all,

I recently aquired a pretty new Lightning VX and I have noticed that the steering on it is very sloppy and does not return to full center on one side. If I turn the wheels to the left and release the wheel on the TX the wheels will snap back to center. If I turn the wheels to the right and release the wheel on the TX the wheels on the car will only return to about 95-97% back to center. However if I take everything off the steering servo and do this test then the servo will return to center perfectly everytime even if I take my thumb and apply pressure to the splined shaft to add stress.

Has anyone had this problem and can it be fixed?

Could this just be the nature of the brand or do I have a flaw?

I can't drive straight most of the time because I have to keep trimming the steering. Like if I accelerate and drive without turning the wheel the car will not go straight like I can with my Traxxas Revo.

Please help because I really like this car and I want it to perform better.

Thanks

Rob
Old 05-07-2008, 05:11 PM
AffordableRC

Default RE: Very sloppy steering in Lightning VX!! Help!!

I had the same issue with mine out of the box. The problem is that the steering linkages (ball and cup) are brand new and really tight. This causes resistance and will not allow the wheels to center again. To fix it you can take off each cup and slightly ream it out so it rotates on the ball freely. The other option is to buy a stronger steering servo to overpower the resistance that is there.

Good luck,

-Derek
Old 05-07-2008, 05:33 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Check the servo saver and make sure it's tight and working properly and not worn out. I'm not too sure about reaming out the cups they are tight for a reason reaming them out could cause them to pop off at some crucial moment.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:45 PM
AffordableRC

Well of coarse you have to be careful when reaming the cups. I did it on mine and have never had issues with them popping off. The steering was ultra tight on mine so it did not return from either direction. Reaming the cups was the only fix I could think of.

PS: Do check the servo saver first, it should come set from the factory but you never know. From the way you describe the issue it sounds more like tight linkages.

-Derek
Old 05-07-2008, 08:01 PM
tomcatguy74

I will look at the servo saver but like I said I applied pressure to the spline right on the servo and it came back to center everytime. I had the steering linkage apart the other day and found that the servo saver was pretty tight and looked ok. The entire linkage setup was pretty loose so maybe there is too much slop in the linkage. A couple of ball sockets were pretty oval looking and very loose infact they could pop off rather easily. Maybe that is the problem you think?

Rob
Old 05-07-2008, 08:05 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

uhm I would deffinatly say that's your problem. You replace them and you'll be styl'in
Old 05-07-2008, 08:07 PM
tomcatguy74

Now do I have to get Redcat Racing ball sockets or can I use anything that my LHS has?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:13 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

you should be able to use the ones for pretty much any of the street cars, best bet would be the ball and sockets for the HPI RS4. Take an old one down to the store with you match up.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 PM
tomcatguy74

Alright, I will see what I can do. Thanks for all the help. Hope it works!!