Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

fed up

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 06:19 PM
DS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fed up

Im sick of my redcat always breaking everytime i run it. Just put it back together and the dume grub screw on the cup by the gear box fellout. This tornado has been nothing but problems and im tired of it. Now i have to take the piece of crap all apart again. so i can put the stupid little xcrew back in agian with lock tight. can't wait untill i get a electric. But not another redcat!!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Redcat Nick

Default RE: fed up

Sent you a pm
Old 05-09-2008, 06:47 PM
DS

what
Old 05-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Redcat Nick

I sent you a pm private message. email
Old 05-09-2008, 06:51 PM
DS

oh ok
Old 05-09-2008, 06:53 PM
DS

it didnt work. cnothing in my inbox
Old 05-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Swamp3r

Don`t blame the problems on redcat you do know screws and bolts do come loose on anything from cars to a table saw to a meat slicer.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:53 AM
jpilkinton

I agree, it's not Redcat's fault the screws come loose. My tremor's manual says to use loctite on all screws that go into metal. That should have been done before you run it.
I've had screws fall out of my chevy truck, but that doesn't mean I won't buy another chevy.
Make sure you use the BLUE loctite.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:26 AM
necrosis
Banned

..Or use the GREEN !!! EHEEHHEHEHEH .
Old 05-10-2008, 08:35 AM
pede_187

yes it's not their fault. Look at Cen. They are known for them being significantly loose. Look at the reviews if you don't believe me.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:11 PM
nubzorz

i felt the same way when i first got into nitro when i got my car it broke so many times but i realized it was my fault lol i didnt use loctite, i didnt break it in properly i was just stupid you have to take care of your car or it will get messed up i smashed into a wall and was in denial lol cause i blamed it on redcat but it was really my bad driving lol but the first car that i got from redcat did have a problem with it the right wheels was cocked way out to the right and it wasnt the steering trim they just messed up they didnt screw the front bottm right arm in enough and the tire was sticking way out
Old 05-11-2008, 11:41 PM
xraycer71
My Feedback: (1)

"Im sick of my redcat always breaking everytime i run it."

What, you don't think (yawning) electric rc vehicles have down time, too? What happened to your motto: "Burn nitro, not your soul"?

This is how you learn and gain experience. So, be patient, Grasshopper. When you can take this glow plug from my hand.........lol
You're probably too young to know the 70's tv series "Kung Fu" with David Carradine
Old 05-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Lawdawg203

So there is a group of us (about 7) who have nitro cars. In total about 13 vehicles, all different makes models ect. A couple guys have cars they purchased for $600.00. I have a Tsunami Ultra wide.

We all have the same problems. Same screws fall out, same parts break, same down time. Just the nature of the beast.......

LOL at Xraycer71, your post cracked me up....
Old 05-11-2008, 11:51 PM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the glow plug from my hand.... That made me laugh out loud.

I am old enough to remember.

Darin
Old 05-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Cam_132

i have been having the same problam and i am going to get a traxxas t-maxx or hpi savage but not a nother redcat... maby a himoto... and yes they have been peeing me off and it is even peeing off my dad too that it just sits there day-in and day-out!

i am geting a himoto or hpi or traxxas or something better! but i will keep my tornado xl. for a while.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Redcat Nick

What kinda problems are you have? Do you perform routine maintenance on the car like checking for loose or missing screws, cleaning it, keeping it oiled regularly. Things like that. you have to do that with any rc nitro or electric. i do it on all of my rc's and i have losi, associated, and hpi. they are no different other than there problems cost more to fix.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:28 PM
bluerealm117

Id have to say, that your problems are going to happen if you don't take care of your car. I bought my car 3 weeks ago and yeah I've run into problems but I would have to say they are all from inexperience. From not glueing the tire to the rims. Not putting locktight on the engine screws and having the gear mesh mess up and the car not go anywhere. Busting a body mount pin and having my pull start assembly fall off. Yep my pull start assembly came right off. Didn't think to put locktight on those screws.

But you have to see the silver lining in everything. yeah my pull start assembly came off but I found it annoying to always remove the body to get at the pull start so I see this as a chance to just upgrade and get an electric starter. I didn't know you could get one until my pull start came off. So now IM going to benefit from my mistake. Of course my Car is sitting there while I wait for the parts but one well. Thats why I have multiple hobbies.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 AM
SpiKeZxb

ORIGINAL: derek_18mt

Im sick of my redcat always breaking everytime i run it. Just put it back together and the dume grub screw on the cup by the gear box fellout. This tornado has been nothing but problems and im tired of it. Now i have to take the piece of crap all apart again. so i can put the stupid little xcrew back in agian with lock tight. can't wait untill i get a electric. But not another redcat!!!!
i agree with you. Redcat should do something about the screws. If, like people have said before, all screws act that way, maybe redcat should do us a favor and just put locktite on the screws before they ship their trucks/cars out. They are in fact selling a "ready to run" car, not an "ready to run, just make sure you locktite your screws" car.

In addition to my redcat lightning, i own a traxxas jato. Out of the 15+ times running the jato, i did not even need to touch any screws (except for tuning and putting new batteries of course). Nothing came loose and i was able to just fire it up and enjoy a reliable car. But with the redcat lightning, after the first 3 or 4 times i ran, the cup that holds the dogbone in place got loose and i ended up losing a dog bone. Then after one or two times driving i found that the exhaust manifold got loose. Even my two speed adjusting screw comes out slightly and i get earlier shifts about 5 minutes after i tighten it back. Now everytime i wanna run my redcat i have to make sure every single screw is tight. the routine maintaince with the redcat is just a hassle compared to my jato. for my jato, i just blow off the dirt, shoot some denatured alcohol, clean the filter, and put some after run. With the redcat lightning, i have to figure out what broke, see if anything is slipping or of any screws got loose, put locktite on anythign im not sure of, then clean, clean filter, and after run.

maybe some of the other companies buy/make magical screws that stay in tight, or maybe they add locktite on all the screws before the cars are sold. Either way, if redcat followed that trend it would make their cars/trucks a lot more reliable and fun to play with and an excellent beginner's car because of the great prices.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 AM
rjsdad

I can see both sides of the debate however, I would say that you need to make sure that all screws are properly tighten...this is called preventive maintenance, which is nothing new in the automotive world. I can understand why the company would not use loctite when you will be the one that fine tune the vehicle (like proper meshing of the gears.) I have a buggy down because I did not purchase some type of fail safe device on it.

Live and learn
Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 AM
firstrc
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah.. sorry friend - not RedCat's fault. They all break.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Cam_132

ORIGINAL: Redcat Nick

What kinda problems are you have? Do you perform routine maintenance on the car like checking for loose or missing screws, cleaning it, keeping it oiled regularly. Things like that. you have to do that with any rc nitro or electric. i do it on all of my rc's and i have losi, associated, and hpi. they are no different other than there problems cost more to fix.
well yes i have been doing that to everytime i run! but it is the actual parts! my one waybering went so i cant run anymore! the spur gears go like mad when i am jumping, and the diff, pinion gears have gone twice from just jumping! the plastic pipe cracked and i had to throw it out!, my fuel tank cracked and i had to throw it out tooo! ARRGGG!!! and the one thing that is PEEING ME OFF! is that there are philips head screws! they should be robinson heads (the square ones) or allen screws! not philips! they strip too easily! i have never striped a robinson one! EVER! so i will go to my hardware store (for you canadians! RONA!) and find some screws with a agresive thread and in robinson screws!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:50 AM
SpiKeZxb

ORIGINAL: firstrc

Yeah.. sorry friend - not RedCat's fault. They all break.

im not blaming it on redcat. they can choose to do what they want. all im saying is that new-comers usually look at redcat for the price of their cars. if they want more dedicated customers, they can try to improve on the quality by simply attacking one of the common problems that can be easily fixed. if i hadnt owned another nitro vehicle and my lightning was my first car, i would have gotten greatly discouraged after i lost my dogbone.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Redcat Nick

If you are stripping gears and breaking diff gears while jumping you are probably landing on throttle. Ask any one who jumps or races that is the one this that puts tremendous stress on the drive train, landing on throttle. As for the fuel tank cracking i was reading in an rc mag the other day and there was an article in there about cracking fuel tanks while jumping. I thought very interesting so I read on. It turns out that if you jump and land with a fuel tank filled more than 1/2 full you have a higher chance of cracking the fuel tank due to the pressure of all the fuel. I am not saying that you can only drive with a half full tank i am just saying that there are other causes to why they crack than just a bad tank. How did the pipe crack? Was it in a crash or did it smack something? Allot of cars have phillips head screw. My rc10gt has phillip screws for 1. But upgrading is what makes the hobby so much fun.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:44 PM
necrosis
Banned

Not trying to fuel the fire but just wanted to add this . I've driven the crap out of my hurricane and had the chance to drive it with a bunch of losi aftershocks.. At the end of the night only my hurricane and 1 aftershock (with a busted shock) were still running.

I went through the same problems at first with screws falling out but once I decided to just loctite everything properly it was done. Nothing has fallen out since then.

The first time I stripped gears on the hurricane was after an entire afternoon of jumping and it was the final jump AND I did mess up and land with the throttle open . They stripped right away and was instantly noticeable after I gave it more throttle to move . I also own a savage and if you gun it before you land you will blow out differential gears or worse your transmission.

And in the end as frustrating as it is.. Having to put the car back together at the start helps you know what goes where and then any future work on the car is not such a big deal because you already know what to expect. Nitro's do not seem to be something you can just buy , throw fuel in it and expect it to work every time on demand like some radioshack rc. They are little machines with brains and feelings too
You have to be nice to them sometimes.. Treat them with respect and understanding.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:06 PM
rclynx

Hurricane is a totally different animal......................lets face it, people have no idea what there getting into when they shop with there wallet................1/10 is a very tough thing to learn with and everybody thinks that they know how to go full speed from the gate. That is where all the breakage starts and it would not be so prevelant if it were a 1/8 series. The Hurricane and the Earthquake were the best of Radcat and those models have proved themselves to be right there at the top with the rest of them. (Bring back the Earthquake with some different rims and body) I love the 1/10's but they suck for the beginner and thats all there is to it [:-]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.