Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

steering servo

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:55 PM
need2drag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering servo

Well my steering servo must be crap. I was trying to drive today, and I have very little steering. It is like the servo is struggling to turn the wheels. I know it is not the batteries, because I put all brand new batteries in the receiver and transmitter. I guess it looks like I am down for another couple of weeks. [:@] Maybe one of these days I will get to run without something going to crap on me.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:08 PM
el_tonto

Default RE: steering servo

Does your transmitter have dual-rate? on mine it's a thin wheel recessed underneath the transmitter steering wheel. I didn't even know it was there for like weeks. At one extreme you'll have maximum steering throw (for low-speed tracks) and at the other it decreases the throw for high-speed tracks so you don't over-turn and spin out. You might have bumped it toward the latter.

If it's not the dual-rate, remove the horn off the servo and see if the servo operates fine with no load on it. Then grab the little white splined bit on the servo and see if it'll still operate, even with your fingers resisting the turn. If it does, then your servo is fine, but instead either the horn is on too tight (so it rubs against the servo case) or some part of the steering mechanism is binding or stuck. I guess you could probably work that out by just grabbing the front wheels and 'steering' them (with the receiver turned off!).
Old 05-15-2008, 05:14 PM
ugly duck

I can't count how many times a small piece of gravel has gotten between the pan and the steering linkage, keeping the truck from steering in one direction. Is your servo moving the servo saver and the steering just isn't moving, or is it not even moving the servo saver?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:27 PM
need2drag

I know it is not the transmitter, because I have a spare transmitter and reciever from one of my dads old cars. And the car does the same thing no matter which radio and receiver I am using. And as far as the servo moving. It will start to move and then stop, almost like it is losing power. I have cleaned it, and checked it, and everything is good on it as far as debris and what not. My tornado did the same thing right before the servo completely fell apart.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:29 PM
need2drag

I guess you could probably work that out by just grabbing the front wheels and 'steering' them (with the receiver turned off!).

I did do this and I could steer the wheels by hand just fine. No binding or anything. I will check the servo and see what happens.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:00 PM
need2drag

ok, I tried the whole servo horn deal, when I went to see how well it turned, it won't turn at all now. I am going to take the servo apart and see if I can notice anything out of whack.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:42 PM
need2drag

So after further investigation of my issue, it looks like somehow one of the gears in the servo has gotten bent, there for binding everything up. Also one of the small pins the holds the center gears in place was busted into several pieces, and I believe this is what caused the binding. I am gonna go to the LHS tomorrow and see if they have some I can use.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:42 PM
rclynx

spend a few bucks and get a good servo...........its well worth it....................even the top brands put very cheap servos in there trucks....................the trucks I use for demos get good servos put in them before they start and I sell the ones I take out to those who have to have OEM parts [&:]
Old 05-15-2008, 07:49 PM
need2drag

that is what I am going to do. Hopefully the wife will let me get one or two tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Kodiac400

I noticed yesterday that when my tsunami is on the ground and I turn either way the wheels don't easily return to the center when I let go of the steering wheel. If I lift the front of the ground the steering is perfect. Is it just me or is the servo getting weak? I've replaced the batteries from my hump pack to 8AA's...............no change. If it is the servo can someone suggest a reasonably price replacement

Thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 09:06 PM
need2drag

I think the stock servo's are just too weak for that. Mine did the same thing.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 PM
papax5p

I put a Hitec 645mg think it was for around 35 bucks in my hurricane and it is a good servo. A Main Hobbies carries them.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 AM
bash_N_corn

I put a Futba S3305 in my cane, and I'm very happy with it. I picked it up at my LHS for $30, I also considered the Hi-Tec 645mg but my LHS didn't have it on hand atm. The Hi-Tec has a bit more torque than my Futba but also costs a few more $