Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:43 PM
need2drag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default issue

Ok, I have an issue with my motor on the Monsoon. I was trying to run it yesterday after replacing the steering servo, and after the engine warms, it will run ok at idle, but once I give it gas, it makes this deep popping sound, and dies. Almost like it is choking itself. I have tried to both lean it, and richen it but nothing seems to work. Could I be getting air bubbles in the fuel line and that be causing the popping? I sounds like a bubble popping in water, if that helps any. I am not sure what the deal is with it, but I can't run it with this issue. The second I try to accelerate it dies. Can anyone tell me what is going on with this thing?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:35 AM
Swamp3r

Default RE: issue

My hurricane did the same thing and it was a broken fuel line. Check all gaskets and fuel lines. I was lucky took me 1 min too fix it.I'm just guessing your sucking in too much air
Old 05-19-2008, 12:11 PM
need2drag

that is what I was thinking too. I will try and get it checked out sometime tonight or tomorrow. Thanks bro.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:51 PM
need2drag

Well, I don't seem to have a broken fuel line or bad gaskets anywhere. I cannot figure this out for the life of me.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Swamp3r

How about a new plug?
Old 05-21-2008, 07:42 PM
need2drag

plug is good too. I have talked to a lot of people about this issue, and everyone says the same thing. They have no idea what is going on with it.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:20 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ya need to be double checking the fuel lines by putting them under water, plugging one end with your finger and blowing in the other end, flip it around and do the same thing. Do it with both fuel lines. Do the same thing with your fuel tank, if the lines are good, place one of the lins on the cap inlet and plug the outlet with your other finger and blow gently looking for air bubbles, then blow alittle harder watching for air bubbles. If there's no leaks after that, then you want replace your exhaust manifold gasket (they're cheap with it), I suggest the HPI big block exhaust gasket, they hold up very well. Double check the exhaust coupler, take it off clean the area of the pipe and manifold where the coupler goes and rough it up a bit with some sand paper, put new 1/8th to 1/4 wide black zip ties and get them as tight as you possibly can. Check your carb gasket, get high temp copper gasket sealer and put a light film on the neck where the gasket is. check to make sure your glow plug is seated properly and not stripped, spray nitro fuel or WD-40 around your head gasket and glow plug, Nitro fuel will make it rev up, WD-40 will make it bog down. Check and make sure there's no air leaks around the back plate, clean it and put a thin layer of gasket sealer around the area where the gasket is. That should pretty much cover everything.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:11 PM
bash_N_corn

sheesh.......the pro has spoken
Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 AM
nubzorz

check the o-rings on the hsn and lsn
Old 05-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Greenf41

Is your air filter clean? does your clutch bell spin freely? the rest of your drivetrain in good shape? sorry all I have besides whats mentioned good luck
Old 05-23-2008, 12:00 AM
shoota0075

wow' Wade, between you and ed ,i don't know who knows the most about this stuff thank goodness for you guys.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:59 PM
need2drag

OK, I did everything that was mentioned. I even took the car down almost completely and cleaned everything really good. I tried making a recording of what it is doing, but the sound didn't come over the camera very well. It seems like it is back firing. I am friggen stumped with this. I guess I will just keep working on it and see what happens.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:12 AM
Swamp3r

My hurricane was running like a pile of you know what and I had the same problem I ripped that buggy apart head to toe and this was my problem ripped out my hair and for some dumb reason I went and dumped out the extra fuel. It wasn't leaking when upside down BUT.... there is a small palstic washer that holds a rubber O ring and mine was cracked(wasn't the problem). It was that when I last refueled the rubber O ring did not seal all the way all I had to do was push the lid down and she ran like a champ. It's easy to miss like I said I spent alot of time on the truck and I noticed the gas cap wasn't all the way down. I'm thinking this is alot of peoples problems that are chasing whats wrong with their truck like an air leak .Hope this helps you man.
Edit and like I said no fuel would pour out even upside down I got in the habit now after refueling to push down on the lid and no more problems.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:00 AM
need2drag

I had the issue of the lid not closing all the way too, but I caught it before I ran the truggy, because when I carried it outside from where I fueled it at, I leaked fuel down my leg....talk about sucky.

Anyway, I have made it habit to push down on my lid too. I am not sure what the deal is with this, but I am gonna get some new fuel line sometime, another new glow plug, and sometime down the road, a new fuel tank. Everything seems to be good, so I figure I will do little inexpensive things for right now and see what happens.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:35 PM
need2drag

OK, here is an update on my Monsoon. It is still having it's issue. I think it just needs re-tuned. It is backfiring through the carb, but I leaned it out a little and it seems to get better. Unfortunately I can't keep it running long. It seems like it is getting too hot. I am getting smoke from around the cooling head after it warms. Once it is warm, it doesn't want to start.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 PM
need2drag

Ok, come to find out, motor is shot. Looks like I won't be driving an RC for quite some time now. Too many problems with this car.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:28 AM
martrix

ORIGINAL: need2drag
I am getting smoke from around the cooling head after it warms. Once it is warm, it doesn't want to start.
You're getting smoke where the cooling head and engine case meet/join?[X(] I'm tipping thats probably a good place to start.