Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Can a Tsunami be made ROAR legal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Megabash

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can a Tsunami be made ROAR legal?

Ok I have been doing some research and looking for 1/10th scale trucks for ROAR legal racing. So far from what I have found is, the Tsunami has the right dimensions, a 75cc fuel tank, it would need a .12 nitro engine, it has a dozen shock placements for better handing, a MGed steering servo installed, weight distribution looks ok.....but can a 4WD vehicle turned 2WD be made legal for racing? I was thinking of taking out the front differential and the dogbones that go with it and the front drive shaft and putting in a 1 speed transmission. I am asking because I don't know if there is anything I am missing that would disqualify the Tsunami from racing? Also what is the weight of the Tsunami in its stock Nitro setup? Yes I have been reading the ROAR rule book for 2008.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:10 AM
rc rock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can a Tsunami be made ROAR legal?

if you take the front dogbones , the center driveshafts and the front diff. i can't think of a reason to disqualify you.
what engine will you use?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Megabash

I was thinking of using a SH .12 with a pullstart, but remove the pullstart and get a bumpstart system.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:06 AM
rc rock

what's your price limit for an engine
in my opinion this is the best .12 offroad engine:[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_30/products_id/16268]http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_30/products_id/16268[/link] not too expensive

this is also an excelent choise for 100 (it's on sale it used to be 270!!!)[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_30/products_id/16992]http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_30/products_id/16992[/link]

i'd get the second one for sure
Old 05-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Megabash

0.0 that's some serious engine there RC, hmmm I will have to investigate further. So far I have found that other market parts can really diversify the track adaptation of the TsunamiUW. So the more I think about turning a TsunamiUW into a valid ROAR racing truck, the more I want to really give it a shot. However I need to find out if there are other springs that will fit the aluminum shocks that come with the UW. I have found tires, wheels, engines, pinion gears, clutch bells, clutches, spur gears and other things to many to list that would seem to make my project a real possibility. What I need to find out is where the center of gravity is for the TsunamiUW and plan a way to 'center' it. From what it looks like in pictures the center of gravity will be towards the back right end. To help counter this I plan to install MG steering servo and place the battery in a different location if possible. Any ideas?!?!?
Old 05-25-2008, 04:07 PM
el_tonto

Take your unbalanced Tsunami to a course when no-one else is there. Race it clockwise, then counter-clockwise, then clockwise, then counter-clockwise, ... etc etc
Any clockwise course (which doesn't cross itself i.e. a figure-8) has 360° more right-handers than left-handers. An unbalanced truck will corner one direction better than the other. If you can't tell the difference - if your lap times are same CW or CCW - then it simply doesn't matter! Your truck is balanced 'enough' (or you aren't a good-enough driver for it to matter).
Old 05-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Megabash

ROFL sounds good to me!!! I will try it, I need racing practice on a track anyway!!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Sandmanvnvmc

Does anyone know of any backplates for the vx.18 or the sh.18 to replace the pull start so they can be used with a starter box. The SH .28 can be set up to do this using a weks backplate with a knotch for the pull start pin and works great on my Monsoon and my buddies Mugen truggy that he runs with a SH .28. Not that it would be Roar legal just wasy to deal with since I have an extra starter box.
Sandman