Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Stupid Newb Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:54 AM
jbod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Newb Question

Sorry for this guys

Just trying to educate my self ....

I am getting a RedCat Tornado BB PRO (S30) as a gift!!!!

I am confused on a few things ...

1. Is Redcat the manufactor or do they OEM the car from a different company and then brand it ... the reason I ask is I don't see any advertisments or articles in any popular RC maganzines for Redcat?

2. Does Himoto Racing OEM their cars from Redcat and if so what Himoto model is the match up to the BB PRO?

sorry again

Old 06-01-2008, 09:28 AM
ugly duck

Default RE: Stupid Newb Question

Tough calls. I would let the owners of Redcat and Himoto speak for this, but my suspicion on this is that they both buy their cars from the same manufacturer, which is a factory in Tiawan, and they can order certain options for their brand to make them a little different. They're way too similar and interchangable for things like this not to happen. I believe that ESPECIALLY the older 1/10 scale stuff is more of a box-lunch sort of deal, where both companies have a list of options but the design is fixed for mass production. Himoto is redesigning their trucks to their own specs in the new MegaP line, so I don't have any idea if they're going to continue with the old ones or just try and phase them all out.

I'm not sure why redcat or Himoto doesn't appear in many magazines. Himoto has been bigger in Europe for a while and is just starting to come into North America, so THAT might come, but I think Redcat is pretty new as well and hasn't needed to advertise because their stuff is notorious already. I still like and continue to bash mine, but lots of people can't get over the fact that the first 1/10 stuff was really poorly built and were quite fragile. I think they've been improved some and lots of folks haven't recognized this, so they've still got a bad rep. I believe that the new Himoto stuff will turn that around, but they're having their build quality issues as well.

Himoto would have the Cyclone Pro which is pretty close, excpet that it appears to be a single speed and it's got the Infinity .18 for now, will probably go to the SH .18 when Infinity stock runs out. The 2 speed in the 1/10 scale doesn't seem to be the desirable option for off-roading, though - if you plan on running it mainly on the street or groomed level surfaces, it's fine, but the direct drive is more reliable and still very fast, with better control due to engine braking.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:07 AM
rclynx

Himoto would have the Cyclone Pro which is pretty close, excpet that it appears to be a single speed and it's got the Infinity .18 for now, will probably go to the SH .18 when Infinity stock runs out. The 2 speed in the 1/10 scale doesn't seem to be the desirable option for off-roading, though - if you plan on running it mainly on the street or groomed level surfaces, it's fine, but the direct drive is more reliable and still very fast, with better control due to engine braking.
Where have I heard that before Matt.......................LOL

good summation [&o]
Old 06-01-2008, 10:32 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jbod

Sorry for this guys

Just trying to educate my self ....

I am getting a RedCat Tornado BB PRO (S30) as a gift!!!!

I am confused on a few things ...

1. Is Redcat the manufactor or do they OEM the car from a different company and then brand it ... the reason I ask is I don't see any advertisments or articles in any popular RC maganzines for Redcat?

2. Does Himoto Racing OEM their cars from Redcat and if so what Himoto model is the match up to the BB PRO?

sorry again

The himoto version would be python, the scylone is the single speed and the sysclone pro is a 2 speed, the python is a 2 speed with the pb suspension. Ours comes with the infinity .18 but will have the sh .18 very soon, its already in our taipan on road car.

We are just getting our foothold in north american but have a very strong following in Europe and Asia. Our Megap series, rxb and rxt 1/8ths are our own design, we have engineers working for us so we are coming out with more and more original things, just like our rock crawler. Things will be taking off in the very near future.

Feel free to pm or email me with any questions you may have

On a note to ugly duck, our megap series transmissions are totally different than the ones that come in the older style cars, they shift very consitently, totally sealed and a different design.

Eddie
Old 06-01-2008, 02:59 PM
ugly duck

ORIGINAL: rclynx

Where have I heard that before Matt.......................LOL
Yeah, basically exactly what you said about the XTM 2 speed, except for the unreliability part. I totally get the control thing now, though - it is a bit tough to get used to the whole freewheeling action on such a heavy truggy, and I haven't even run it with the cage yet. The center diff might be in my next shopping cart... we'll see.

ORIGINAL: HimotoRacingUSA

On a note to ugly duck, our megap series transmissions are totally different than the ones that come in the older style cars, they shift very consitently, totally sealed and a different design.
Right, I see that on the 1/8 but I didn't know that about the 1/10 trucks. Good to know, and I'm glad you mentioned it for fear of me misleading folks.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:51 PM
rclynx

Hope you know I was teasing you duck
Old 06-01-2008, 04:37 PM
nubzorz

yea redcat is not to popular people think its cheap crap but i think its great i own 3 redcats and nothing has ever broke except suspension arms but that was cause i crashed. its a good brand but not alot of people know about it. its a pretty new brand i think but i have no complaints only complements. but yea i have read somwhere that redcat,himoto,exceed,hsp all buy from the same manufacturer they just make the car look however redcat wants it to look body wise and give it there own graphics and stuff but im not sure
Old 06-01-2008, 04:39 PM
ugly duck

ORIGINAL: rclynx

Hope you know I was teasing you duck
Of course!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Redharris

jbod.......

Dont worry about it Bro....
The only Stupid Questions are the ones you Don't ask!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Swamp3r

ORIGINAL: Redharris

jbod.......

Dont worry about it Bro....
The only Stupid Questions are the ones you Don't ask!
Agreed....