Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

trick/tip to installing rear driveshaft - Tornado BB?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

trick/tip to installing rear driveshaft - Tornado BB?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:44 AM
pete in Midland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trick/tip to installing rear driveshaft - Tornado BB?

hi folks, I just got my new Tornado BB the other day, and last night I got started on seeing how easy it was to break things. I had ordered a starter plate with it, and I spent some time swearing and poking and prodding to get the pullstart plate off, and the starter palte installed. In order to get at the botton inside bolt, I had to take out some of the axle mounting screws and done some bending and swearing but I finally got the bew bolts tightened and replaced the mounting screws. And then I herad a rattlin noise, and found that all the bending, twisting, and biting my tongue had managed to dislodge the rear driveshaft.
I poked and prodded for awhile trying to get that back in place without resortiong to a sledgehammer, and managed to just put the car and shaft on the shelf before I got too frustrated.
Is there any useful trick or tip someone can share on getting this puppy back in place without a heart attack?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:28 AM
ugly duck

Default RE: trick/tip to installing rear axle - Tornado BB?

Are you talking about the driveshaft from the transmission to the differential, or from the differential to the wheel?

Edit - it really sounds like you're going about things the hard way to avoid work, and costing yourself frustration and time. Pulling the engine is only four screws and one grub screw, and is something you're going to need to get comfortable with anyway. Changing the pull start with the engine on the chassis sounds like a nightmare...
Old 06-12-2008, 12:34 PM
pete in Midland

LOL ... yeah. I often dicover that in trying not to take things apart too much, I end up working harder.

Driveshaft from the tranny to the diff ...
Old 06-12-2008, 01:55 PM
ugly duck

You must have been reefing on it pretty hard to pop that thing out... You'll have to remove the transmission or the differential to get it back in place.

Edit - at least you'll have to loosen them so they move around & you can probably pop the dogbone back in there. If you haven't locktited the drive cups on the diff or transmission, now would be a good time!
Old 06-12-2008, 02:55 PM
pete in Midland

Thanks ... yeah I was wiggling things around pretty good in order to get at the bolts to tighten up the drive plate. If I'd known that it was "easy" to just remove the engine, I could have saved about an hour and a lot of searching for long tools. Sigh.

Drive cups? That's the part on the diff and tranny that the shaft pins slide into? What exactly do I apply the locktite to?

In case you haven't figured it out ... this is R/C nitro toy number one and I'm learning as fast as I can.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:59 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE: trick/tip to installing rear driveshaft - Tornado BB?

there is a little grub screw that goes into the cup, the cup slides on the shaft, and the screw tightens down on the flat spot of the shaft.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:07 PM
ugly duck

ORIGINAL: pete in Midland

In case you haven't figured it out ... this is R/C nitro toy number one and I'm learning as fast as I can.
Yeah, my Redcat was my first nitro toy too. When I was 16 (21 years ago), my first car was an Austin Mini, and after a couple of years of owning that thing I wasn't afraid to do ANYTHING on a car. There's nothing like a fragile, finicky, thoroughly BRITISH car to teach you how to fix things!

Get my hint?
Old 06-13-2008, 09:18 AM
pete in Midland

ORIGINAL: ugly duck

There's nothing like a fragile, finicky, thoroughly BRITISH car to teach you how to fix things!

Get my hint?
As an ex-Edmonton guy ... who gets to maintain his wife's Jaguar ... another fragile, finicky, thoroughly BRITISH car ... yep, I get the hint. And now that I found the Quick Start booklet from Redcap online ... I'll start disassembling things, loctiting things and generally poking prodding and tweaking. With just the undecypherable chinese translation that came with the RTR ... I wasn't quite ready to grab the pipe wrenches.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:12 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Ya gotta love that chinglish manual.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:45 AM
rc rock

Default RE: trick/tip to installing rear driveshaft - Tornado BB?

yep the manual is just waste of paper