Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Sh. 18 and other mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:53 AM
r\c justin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sh. 18 and other mods

Hey guys i just got my Sh. 18 from redcat about to send my other Vx.18 to them, i forgot to take off the flywheel and clutch bell, and motor mounts, just wondering if yall have any comments on what i should get like 16 tooth cutch bell and what kind of flywheel

really looking for the upgrades, if i have to buy them might as well be better than stock.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:47 PM
harley75

Default RE: Sh. 18 and other mods

go with HPI clutch bell 86039 and gears 76978 18T and 76982 22T
Old 06-13-2008, 10:13 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

What car do you have?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:42 AM
r\c justin

i have 2 volcano sv and at this point i am ready to throw them in the trash, i just got my new sh.18 motor run great through breakin, and the next day did step 4 of the break in, let cool then, started it back up got up to temp then, did some adjustment ran really good. Now the peice of **** won't run i am really getting pissed about this, the motor is brand new!!! i have adjusted it back to factory setting and still no luck low speed level to the ring and 3 turn from closed on the high speed, what it says on redcats setting.. if it doesn't run soon i will be looking at getting out of this Money Pit, i have spend over 1000 dollars now on parts, motors, tires, and 2 Volcano, and haven't even got to play with them more than about 8 hours total. I knew i should have just got a hpi baja. so far REDCAT SUCKS i am not happy
Old 06-14-2008, 11:11 AM
r\c justin

ok got it back running thank god!! how long should a tank of gas last? it seem to run out with in 5 to 7 mins of it just sitting there me trying to tune it, i thinking that means it to rich, but working on there its a pain to tune i get it running the take the intiter out it go's dead adjust the idle then the low speed and make it idle high then work my way back down i think i might have the low speed ok but its the high speed it does not take off when u give it gas it take a min like it needs to get up to speed. i think i am going to go to about 2 turns from the bottom of the high speed try it of there
Old 06-14-2008, 11:33 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Justin,

Sounds like you need to replace the glow plug, use a hot plug like the os a3 plug. From what I am reading, you have to keep the igniter on the engine for it to run.

Also, try 2 out on the high needle and 4 out on the low, this is a good setting to get you up and running. Dont get fustrated, you will get it, the SH is a good engine, alot of times the glow plugs go bad during or right after break in.

Eddie
Old 06-14-2008, 01:02 PM
r\c justin

yea i switch glow plugs 4 or 5 times, it was just user error needs to be tuned so 4 turn from bottom on high speed and what about the low speed

its seems if i lean it out more i get better speed and repsones

just got done running it, runs great and fast goes throw the tank of gas like in least 10 mins now, but i am doing the spit test to see if it szizzles at and around the glow plug, its hot so thats tells me prob to lean where should my speeds be and how much smoke needs to be coming out smoke good when on the throttle
Old 06-14-2008, 01:04 PM
r\c justin

i was running it and the kids next door brought out there traxsss ask his dad about it how it run and what not and he said that after breakin they haven;t touch it but he also was turning the high speed needle to turn down the idle i was like hahahahha
Old 06-14-2008, 01:52 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

No four turns out on the Low speed and 2 1/2 to 3 turns out on the highspeed Idle 1mm hole. You need to first get it started and set the idle so it stays running, after you set the idle tune the high speed (DON'T MESS WITH THE LOW SPEED), You want to run it around alittle bit with the body off (don't worry about the temps) and make 1/16th to 1/8th clock wise turns till you get to a point where the engine dies when you full throttle it, when that happens restart it and turn the needle 1/8th counter clockwise and you should be able to full throttle it with no problems and it should sound nice and crisp at full throttle. Once you get set then your going to make small 1/16th adjustments to the lowspeed screws till it takes off with out hesitating.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:16 PM
r\c justin

yea i think i had it on there but i was just worried about the heat, b\c that bad boy has snizzlein with i did the temp with the water, but it was running fast and had good bite of smoke coming out of it so i guess it was about right, all about funn hobbies i order some stuff from you u shipped it out friday i think, what harley said about the hpi and clutch is that a good choice it says something about 2 clutch or something???
Old 06-14-2008, 05:27 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

OH, your the one that ordered the 3 shoe HPI savage clutch shoe set? I gotta be honest I don't know how that's gonna work out, those are clutch shoes for a big block so the springs have a higher stall rate, could lead to higher engine temps. Let us know how they work out.

As far the spit on the head you need to put it on the upper part of the cooling head and it should take about 4 to 5 seconds to simmer off.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:14 PM
r\c justin

i order couple of things but yea i order the hpi teflon clutch set shoe set and some screws and exhuast thing. i was looking at ordering tires and rims from yall but didn't have in stock, but i do need to get the clutch bell housing and flywheel what would be the best choice for performace.. going to order them monday sooo i need to know who to deal with!!
Old 06-15-2008, 09:32 AM
r\c justin

Hey all about fun hobbies, what happens when i split on the top and it doesn't sizzle away after a tank of gas, i couldn't do 4 turns out on the low speed doesn't run worth a crap but i think i have my tuning down and it runs great just sucks the heck out of some gas!!

can't wait to get my parts in and try to get my other volcano sv up and runing it is in about 1200 different peices waiting on parts i have been waiting to get this sv up since dec of last year, pretty much have 2 rcs to make 1! and i aslo neeed to know about the flywheel and clutch bell and clutch should i just go back factory? and going to be order sh*t ton more parts so get ready for the order it will prob be around another 150$ so thats make about 1200 i have put into 2 Volcano Svs
Old 06-15-2008, 11:29 AM
r\c justin

Allaboutfunhobbies need some help on some parts, hit me back sap!!!!