Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Calling all Volcano Owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Redcat Nick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all Volcano Owners

We have heard your crys for a better transmission. And here is our answer a steel differential gear set for the main spur gear in the transmission.

http://www.redcatracing.com/parts_se...t.asp?q=08013t
Old 06-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Megabash

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Calling all Volcano Owners

Hmm me thinks I may have to investigate further once I get the Volcano transmission installed in my Tsunami Ultrawide. More torque means more stripped gears. A steel spur gear sounds like a nice upgrade for me, thanks Nick!!!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 06:44 AM
greasemonkeyfred

Thank you so much, I just stripped mine[:@]and was looking for a upgrade
Hope you guys have plenty in stock
Old 06-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Redcat Nick

YEs lots of them so every one can order them.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:04 AM
a4d2a0m

It seem like a popular idea!!.......but I have had little problems with the plastic spur gear. Only time it stripped on me was from user error. (over-tightened slipper plate, landing with the throtle on, or lack of locktite causing the motor to shift/bad mesh.)

Once I thought it was suppose to be a weak point, meant to fail before anything else,but it is suppose to slip before anything fails. The other day I was launching off a 5-foot jump at decent speed for a majority of my bash and I broke a tooth on my diff. ring gear.(bad landing) and the spur still looks brand new.

The main key to spur longevity is all in how your slipper nut is adjusted. This is probably going to be more crucial with the steel spur gear, beacause there will be less friction from the slipper plate on metal so there should be a smaller window for proper adjustment. Start loose.......Just remember you can always make the slipper tighter, It is easier than trying to glue the teeth back on.....lol.

Adam.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:33 PM
5lagd

Will this work on Tornado? and also is it a single speed or 2 speed?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 PM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is only for the Volcano series. SV, STX, S30 & Pro models.

We are working on other models and should have them in a few months.

darin
Old 06-18-2008, 01:47 PM
perhamrocks

so no direct drive tranny gears for the volcano?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:40 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

I have a question for you nick. Not trying to put it down, BUT now you have a steel spur gear, what about the other aluminum and plastic gears in that over engineered tranny? Why not just have the factory put in single gear trans with 13 tooth clutch bells? That seems to me the easier way to go.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:13 PM
ugly duck

The direct drive transmission, in my opinion, is too much gear for the Volcano if it uses monster truck tires. I put buggy tires on my truck and with the direct drive & 13t, the thing is FAST now! Well, not as fast (top speed) as it was before, but QUICK. Open the throttle all the way and when it comes on the pipe it spins all 4 tires on pavement. Not just a little, either, and this isn't with the fancy-shmancy SH engine either - the little VX18. This is what I've been missing since putting the direct drive in there.

Now, with the original transmission you've got lots of clutch bell choices: you can go taller for top end, you can go shorter for acceleration. With the direct drive, you've already lost some acceleration and you typically don't want to lose too much more.

Unfortunately the original transmission has all that gear train loss built into it, as well as the awful whine. Give me a direct drive transmission with a steel 50-55 tooth gear as opposed to the plastic 42 tooth, and we're talking!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:18 PM
bluecaka69

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

I have a question for you nick. Not trying to put it down, BUT now you have a steel spur gear, what about the other aluminum and plastic gears in that over engineered tranny? Why not just have the factory put in single gear trans with 13 tooth clutch bells? That seems to me the easier way to go.
good question