Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

is the redcat lightning good and reliable?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

is the redcat lightning good and reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:27 PM
need_to_drift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the redcat lightning good and reliable?

im thinking of buying a redcat lightning and im wondering if its tough, fast, reliable and good overall. im mainly a traxxas and hpi guy so i need some feedback. please give me some advice and feedback on the lightning.
thanks
Old 06-20-2008, 11:47 PM
r\c justin

Default RE: is the redcat lightning good and reliable?

Hey Drift.. i just order one i am looking at getting it about the 26.. of next week with drift tires.. i will have 3 redcats!! i have 2 Volcano SV and soon a lighting..
Old 06-23-2008, 06:52 PM
PoisonJello

well i don't own a lightning but I have an avalanche xp (awesome truck), i also own tamiya, Marui, traxxas, smartech, some people say the cheaper brand R/C's are junk but in most cases the cheaper brands are made at the same factories as the over priced r/c companies (you know what companies i mean) and many of the companies use the same parts, Redcat parts might be harder to find locally but you can find them online easy enough (shipping might be pricey, depending on where you live)
I don't consider Redcat to be a huge company name but they seem to be getting more and more popular everywhere (hope to find store for parts close by in Canada, i think there is one in Gatineau)

if your looking into a new R/C i would definatly reccomend Redcat to anyone (just because they cost less it doesn't mean less quality)
Old 06-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Megabash

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lightning is a good car and can use many other 1/10th scale onroad aftermarket parts. I have one and it's alot of fun. Since I did some upgrades, it can now pass the cars on the street by my house where the speed limit is 40mph. It's funny to see the look on peoples faces as my lightning passes by them...ROFL.
The following users liked this post:
RCRFan29 (06-18-2020)
Old 12-01-2009, 11:49 PM
svfd14

got a question on the stock vx.16 redcat lightning how fast will it go

Old 12-02-2009, 12:58 AM
chevyderek72

Pretty quick, im not sure on a certain mph but its fast.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:33 AM
RCToysNh

40-45 mph. Depends how you tune it.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:35 PM
firebird78

I'd say rctoysh is right...about that.....the vx .16 is not a powerhouse....but it is a good reliable engine...holds its tune pretty good and doesnt fuss alot...
Old 06-15-2015, 06:53 PM
Dannystaggers

Yes the Lightning is a very good car. I have three of them all the way up to a modified 11,1 LIPO. That car clocks over 80mph. It takes a special track for it however. There is plenty of metal you can get for them. I recommend lower arms, hub, and the steering rack. Don't go with aluminum tie rod or upper control rods as these have too much slack. You can run up to the 11.1 with the stock epx pro electronics and it'll hold together.
The following users liked this post:
RCRFan29 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-16-2015, 12:57 AM
Guff15

Wow, resurrected a 7yr old thread.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Dannystaggers

Hmm, didn't realize, I'm new here. I read the thread and really didn't see an answer. Funny how history turns out, 7 years later and it's not even a question, RedCat takes over the world, Traxxas is a shell of it's former self and still doesn't have a 1/5th truck and most of the rest are hanging on by their fingernails. Glad I brought back memories.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:00 PM
Guff15

Originally Posted by Dannystaggers
Hmm, didn't realize, I'm new here. I read the thread and really didn't see an answer. Funny how history turns out, 7 years later and it's not even a question, RedCat takes over the world, Traxxas is a shell of it's former self and still doesn't have a 1/5th truck and most of the rest are hanging on by their fingernails. Glad I brought back memories.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but yes Redcat is finding it's niche in the R/C world for sure. They have a little ways to go though, but if they keep at it like OFNA did they'll do just fine.

And welcome to RCU!