Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

is the sh.18 motor worth getting

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:07 PM
tornbb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the sh.18 motor worth getting

i just had a good chat with a friend. well needless to say. the motors junk in his eyes. i was like wow i did every thing i was suppose to maintain it. i think hes right. it was running really hot no matter how rich i set it on the last run i did with it.so much smoke, you wouldve though it ran off oil.has compression and everything.starts every time first or second pull. oh well. what im wondering is the sh.18 worth getting. also does any one know the specs(hp) on it?the only reason im asking is because i was reading up on lrp motors and they say there made by sh motors?any help or info on this motor would be great.if it is a good motor im shippin redcat my vx for a trade in.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:08 PM
rookie1970

Default RE: is the sh.18 motor worth getting

Well I have a Tornado BB SH30 and the motor seems to be just fine for me, runs out nice. I havent had any problems with this motor and I have put 1 1/2 gallons thru it. Maybe this will help in your decision.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:31 PM
tornbb

kinda, i put different tires on it. little bigger then bb tires. id say more like tsunami wheels on it, maybe a tad bigger. i guess id like to know if you think that the sh motor will be enough motor for some thing like that.i though the vx would do it.it was a little doggish from the start but went ok. now with motor issues, i figured id ask. im in the progress of turning it into a tsunami. i bash alot and the bb didnt go through the grass that well. even after fresh cut grass. it may sound stupid converting it but i only need one nitro for me. plus i like to tinker around. just dont really want to waste the money thats all, if its not going to do it. thanks for the input.appriechiated!
Old 06-22-2008, 11:22 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the sh.18 is a good engine...the problem your having is putting different size wheels/tires on it and it doesnt have the gearing for that...if your going to run different size wheels and tires your going to have to change your gearing..if they are larger then the tsaumi tires im not sure your going to be able to gear it properly...another guy converted a tornado into a truggy and eneded up spending enuff money to buy 2 tsaumi's....your best off putting the original tires/wheels back on the tornado and selling it to someone that will run it on dirt...then take the money to help you buy something more suited to your driving needs
Old 06-23-2008, 07:47 AM
r\c justin

i like the sh.18 motors just order my 2nd one for my Volcano Sv now i have 2 sh.18 and 2 Volcanos, and my lightning will be here thrusday!!! can't wait, the sh. 18 seems to tune better than the VX, i have been through 2 vx, now i am working on the sh.18, the first week i had it was figureing out the tunning got it prefect then my carb locks up!! so haven't really got to bash it any!!
Old 06-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Cam_132

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Sh-18 is a very good engine, it makes a huge amount of power for the buggy! it is nuts, you have to watch beocuse i have a tornado xp with a sh and it is nuts! i have gone through pinion gears a lot and spur gears just becouse it is almost too much power!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:49 PM
tornbb

cool. good thoughs. i wouldve like to keep the 2 spd in it, but im in the works of getting a volcano tranny. i know that will work. the only thing im really guessing on is how big the volcano tires are(my thoughs if their bigger than what i have then it will be over geared).im sure if i went with the sh and put the volcano tranny in it would be more than enough.the vx only suffered from a sluggish start. i was just wondering about the motor cause the vx kinda sucked, decent motor but i spent more time fiddling with the carb to keep it running good, while i bashed and whatnot.i dont think it will cost an insane amount to do.even if i went with a dif tranny.the only things i think that i would need is, the sh, tranny, clutch bell(maybe aluminum shoes), shock mounts, a dif body, and maybe longer shocks. i could still cheat by usin the bb shock mounts and fabricating body posts. so that would eliminate longer shocks and the shock mounts.im thinkin i could do it for 80-100$tops.most of the chunk of it would be the motor, whitch i need any way.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:39 PM
r\c justin

i think just go with the sh.18 and stock tires.. looking at way more speed with smaller tires. i just put some hpi's rims and tires, that are 2 times smaller than the ones on my volcano sv, hella alot faster. if u do the Volcano tranny make sure u get the new Steel Diff... worth the money i have burnt though 3 now on my Volcano, now my steel will be here thrus..
Old 06-24-2008, 04:49 AM
shoota0075

the sh motor is much better than the vx .18 , i upgraded to a .18 sh with a single speed 13 tooth clutchbell for my tsunami, and all i can say it's like night and day . more power, speed, holds a good tune forever. the sh motors are well respected in the r/c world.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:52 PM
tornbb

well i checked into how big volcano tires are 130mm 5 inches somethin. and tsunami wheels are 120mm like 4 and a half i think give or take. i did this on a coversion calculator. so if the calculator was right. mine are just a little smaller then tsunami tires. do these measurements sound right? either way im still getting the sh.18. my friend told me to get an lrp motor. he has the .28 truggy motor in his savage with a 3 speed.in his words its just nasty.well i was looking up motors and info and i read that sh makes lrp motors, or atleast the.28. i remember when i first got mine. he didnt think to much of it. but after bashin for an afternoon, and it hanging with his before his upgrades. he was impressed. i know the savage wasnt built for speed.but you cant really beat redcat for the money.im still debating whether or not if i want to find a different clutch bell and stick with the 2spd, or use the volcano tranny. i did plan on getting the metal gears for it considering all the people i read about theirs stripping.i have also considered down grading tires. maybe using rear tires all the way around and offseted wheels.the wheels i got widened it 2". it doesnt flop over at all when it bites into a corner.thanks for all the thoughs and info. def. getting the sh.18
Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 PM
alishanmao

SH Engines are good engines. I am using them for almost a year now. Never had any problems. Some of SH21 and bigger engines run well on 30%nitro and seem to have troubles with 12% or 15%Nitro. HOwever a good brand nitro Inever had troubles with them n running on 30%they just run so sweet.

Cheers any questions get in touch with me

AliShanMao

China Operations Manager
RedCat Racing USA
Old 05-16-2009, 02:18 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: tornbb

i just had a good chat with a friend. well needless to say. the motors junk in his eyes. i was like wow i did every thing i was suppose to maintain it. i think hes right. it was running really hot no matter how rich i set it on the last run i did with it.so much smoke, you wouldve though it ran off oil.has compression and everything.starts every time first or second pull. oh well. what im wondering is the sh.18 worth getting. also does any one know the specs(hp) on it?the only reason im asking is because i was reading up on lrp motors and they say there made by sh motors?any help or info on this motor would be great.if it is a good motor im shippin redcat my vx for a trade in.

Make sure before you start running the SH that you check everything out, like your exhaust connections, fuel tank lid is sealing, no holes in the fuel lines. Actually I would straight up just replace the fuel lines, it's cheap and a good precaution. You never know is you have a pin hole in your fuel line and it's causeing the engine to run lean. Make sure everything is ship shape or other wise you will end up with another burned up engine.

Otherwise the SH is a great engine.