Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Redcat Lightning Info!!!

Hey guy just wan't to ask whats tires and rims!! i order some drift tires from redcat hardest tires to put on yet took me like 2 hours to get them on!!! so i was looking at getting new rims and tires so i have a couple of pair. and whats the setting for the HSN and the LSN, after break in? i finally got my Volcano running and didn't have to buy any more parts maybe the luck is on my side now!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Redcat Lightning Info!!!

Just drove with the pvc in the middle of the tires the drift tires u buy from redcat totally impossible!! can't do anything but spin around in circles!! everyone have any answers i think i need a drift tire w\o the pvc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

setting should be flush with the collar on the lsn and about 2 1/2 turns out on the hsn
    Redcat Racing - Dunerunner, Hurricane XP, Aftershock 8e, Volcano, Volcano epx, Vortex epx, Tremor 18e pro
    Its me ti**tae

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PVC is very slippery and best for electric. Nitro drifts better with slightly grippier tires, such as ABS or any of the "drift" tires from HPI, Yokomo (which tend to be ultrahard rubber, but not PVC).

The other thing to do is lock your diffs, especially the rear. Most recommend cleaning the grease out and packing with silly putty or something thick and pliable, which you can remove later if you choose. The extreme choice is JB Weld or similar, but that's a one-way trip!

Also, make sure you have no camber on any of your wheels, especially the rear (although as you drift, the tires will wear flat anyway).

Also, softer springs (and lighter oil) all round is a good idea. Hard springs will make the transition from grip to slip too suddenly, and you'll find you spin too easily. From what I understand the Lightning springs are very very hard compared to other brands.

And finally, throttle control! There are some very good drift lesson videos by HPI on youtube - begin here, the lesson starts at about 1m30s

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have the abs tires from redcat, and i have a nitro lightning, it just seems to be to much, i think i am going to get some hpi tires!! and can i still drift with out locking my rear diff..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

just order the 4402 from hpi with rims and front tires can't remember the part # hope there be here soon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A locked diff doesn't help you break traction - and that clearly isn't the problem here - it helps maintain a better-controlled drift. Without a locked diff, one wheel invariably spins faster than the other. As the weight subtly shifts, the weight on each wheel and hence the grip varies and so you spin out. With a locked diff, even when the weight transfers from one side to the other, the amount of slip at the tires doesn't change because both inside and outside tire are slipping at the same speed. So better control.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yea i checked out that vid u sent helped out i drifted a little bit , going to get some stick puddy tomorrow and try again

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey guys anyone have the link to lock the diff, with stick puddy?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Step 1 - open up and clean the grease out. (Remove as much as you can, but it's not critical to remove absolutely 100%):

Step 2 - fill with putty.

... that should be about all you need to know. p.s. those are actually wheely king diffs but the redcat ones are pretty much the same.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks dunno yet if i going to lock the diff.. going to get my other tires and rims on there then go from there thanks alot for the pics!!