Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano SV Pro Steering Servo

Old 06-30-2008, 09:16 AM
JAMBF750

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Volcano SV Pro Steering Servo

Need a little help. Just yesterday (after a medium size crash) my steering servo stopped working. I changed the truck battery thinking this may have been the issue because it began only turning in one direction, but after I changed out the battery, it wouldn’t work at all. I tried 3 different hump batteries, so I know this is not the issue, plus they all operate the throttle servo with no issues perfectly. The steering servo won’t move in either direction now, almost like power is not getting to it or it simply stopped working. Do they go bad? Any suggestions as to what may have happened? If I need to change the servo, should I upgrade the part?

As Always,
Thanks
JAM
Old 06-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Syclone354

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Volcano SV Pro Steering Servo

did you reseat the connectors in the receiver? Maybe they came loose. If not, its probably a bad servo. They do go bad, i just replaced the steering servo in my avalanche last week. Spend the extra money and get a good high torque servo for the steering side it does make a difference.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:00 AM
greasemonkeyfred

I had the exact same problem and I had to replace it. Do a quick test on the receiver unplug the throttle servo and plug in the steering servo in its spot .then see if it steers when you hit the gas or brake .IF it works then try it back in its spot ,if it doesnt then you need new servo.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:00 AM
JAMBF750

I don't mind spending the money for a better servo, I just need to know what will fit. I will try and do a serch, but if anyone knows what servo to buy for the volcano SV Pro, kindly let me know.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2008, 10:02 AM
JAMBF750

ORIGINAL: greasemonkeyfred

I had the exact same problem and I had to replace it. Do a quick test on the receiver unplug the throttle servo and plug in the steering servo in its spot .then see if it steers when you hit the gas or brake .IF it works then try it back in its spot ,if it doesnt then you need new servo.
Good idea, I will try this later today.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Syclone354

I think servos are pretty universal, if you go to a LHS and ask for a high torque steering servo they will have what you need.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:33 PM
JAMBF750

I think I will order the FUTABA S3003 unless someone thinks it wont work. It couldnt hurt to have it incase the other servo is OK and there is another issue.

Thanks
JAM
Old 06-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Gelo_USA

I have the s3003... I personally dnt like it... I use it jst because I have no other one and still havent had time to get another one in... the stock one on the volcano is better than the s3003... I would go to the local hobby shop and ask them for a high torque servo....
Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 AM
JAMBF750

ORIGINAL: Gelo_USA

I have the s3003... I personally dnt like it... I use it jst because I have no other one and still havent had time to get another one in... the stock one on the volcano is better than the s3003... I would go to the local hobby shop and ask them for a high torque servo....

I did a little research last night and discovered the same thing. I have a Hitec HS645MG (Metal Gear) that I was going to use in another larger truck, but will use it in the Volcano instead. It should work great.

Thanks

Old 07-01-2008, 09:40 AM
a4d2a0m

I changed mine to a mg995 off ebay. It was only $12. All metal gears, two ball bearings, high speed/high torque....works great!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:31 PM
JAMBF750

ORIGINAL: a4d2a0m

I changed mine to a mg995 off ebay. It was only $12. All metal gears, two ball bearings, high speed/high torque....works great!

That was great advice...I just won one on eBay for $1.00 and it cost $13.99 to ship. Seem like a real nice servo. Thanks