Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Can I use my lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:56 PM
lightr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use my lipo?

I'm new to RC cars, I'm mostly into RC heli's. I recently picked up a redcat LIGHTNING EPX.

The story: I have a few 7.4V 1900mah lipos that I'd like to use with this car (if possible). Is it worth changing the connection on the car over to deans so I can use these, or should I stick to the NiMh it came with? and how much damage is this esc going to do to my packs?

Also a side question, has anyone run the stock setup with a 11.1V lipo? I have more then a few of them.

I've never used NiMh battery's, and I'd like to stick to what I'm familiar with.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:20 AM
tornbb

Default RE: Can I use my lipo?

im sure you could use your 7.4 v lipo on it. i would think that the stock electronics would hol up.its only .2 v more. you'd gain some performance from it as lipos pack more punch and longer run times. the only thing i can think of is that there is no stop(cut off) voltage for the lipo pack.in my times of using lipos i noticed that the car would be going strong and then stop suddenly(low bat)at that point un plug let cool and charge. i dont think there was any damage done to my lipos, but i forgot to shut it off and that killed my lipo, wouldnt take a charge after that. It completely drained the bat(not good) i had an tornado epx. never did it to that. but i have done it to a few others of mine. they took the lipo just fine. 11.1 is over kill with stock electronics youll cook em, maybe if you had an esc and a motor capible of that voltage. i ran 3800mah nihm packs in my buggie. it took it for a while but the motor went up in smoke after a while. if you decide to do it, just keep an eye on temps. changing connections over are pretty easy so you could always try it and switch back if you choose. hope this didnt cause more confusion
Old 07-31-2008, 10:37 AM
lightr

Thanks for the feedback, i have voltage alarm that i'll be using on the lipos. Its a simple little guy that just screams when the voltage gets to low. I don't know much about redcat, and i'm not going to be putting to much stock in the ESC. I plan on replacing the Motor and ESC within the week. i have so many 11.1V lipos it only makes sense to use them.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:49 AM
tornbb

dont blame you there. id go with lipo over nimh any day. no matter the brand. they all rely on similar setups(esc's motors, ect)when i got my first redcat i didnt know either. but i think there pretty good for the money( im happy with the ones i have). they seem to be growing quite fast. good luck
Old 07-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Redcat_Mike

we don't recommend the 11.1 volt lipos, 8.4 is the most we recommend.

Changing the connector over to a deans plug is definitely worth while and will increase performance.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:07 PM
lightr

Thanks everyone for giving me feed back on this one.