Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

clutch bell setup

Hi, I have just bot a used avalanche and if was missing the screw to hold the clutch bell on, I have a screw now but when I seat it the bell it can still slip back and forth about 1/16 to 1/8 of a inch. Is there info you can give or a picture(diagram) to show me how to setup the bell, washers, screw up?

Thanks,
    Stephen.

RE: clutch bell setup

Your missing washers or center spacer. You space the clutch bell by putting washers on the inside of the clutch bell on the pilot shaft. You can take the clutch bell and pilot shaft to the local hardware store, not homedepot or lowes needs to be a place like Ace hardware, and find some washers that will fit the pilot shaft and fit inside the clutch bell in the bearing area.
    Dealer for..Redcat, Traxxas, Associated, Cen, Racers Edge, RD Logic, Losi, HPI, E-flight, Himoto, Venom, Heli-Max, O.S...etc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

here is the setup picture for the avalanche XP i received from someone since i am having trouble with my clutch bell as well
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello,
    I know this is an old post but I hope you can help me out. My question is when I tighten the hex screw the bell tighten up as well. Is it suppose to spin free or is it supoose to tight with the fly wheel? I have seen on youtube that a bell is suppose to spen free. I hope you can help me out cause I haven't been able to find any info about this wahtsoever.I'm getting very frustrated Thank you in advance.

ORIGINAL: Swingline76

here is the setup picture for the avalanche XP i received from someone since i am having trouble with my clutch bell as well
    2 HPI Baja 5T, 1 HPI Baja 5B, Redcat Rampage Pro MT5, Rovan Baja 5B, HPI Crawler King, Losi Desert Dog

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes, the bell should spin free. you should be able to spin it very easily with your fingers. It should spin as free and as long as a non driven wheel on an r/c truck with bearings (like the front wheel on a 2 wheel drive truck) there needs to be bearings in the center of the bell (an inner and an outer) along with the correct amount of washers for spacers. the reason the clutch bell needs to spin freely is because it's what keeps the truck from taking off as soon as you start it. when you give it throttle, the centrifugal clutch shoes come out, and make contact with the inside of the bell and that's what makes the truck move.
    volcano sv, duratraxx evader, tamiya super blackfoot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I thought so! chevyderek72 suggested the flywheel and that was the problem. thx for you help tho

ORIGINAL: robriley

yes, the bell should spin free. you should be able to spin it very easily with your fingers. It should spin as free and as long as a non driven wheel on an r/c truck with bearings (like the front wheel on a 2 wheel drive truck) there needs to be bearings in the center of the bell (an inner and an outer) along with the correct amount of washers for spacers. the reason the clutch bell needs to spin freely is because it's what keeps the truck from taking off as soon as you start it. when you give it throttle, the centrifugal clutch shoes come out, and make contact with the inside of the bell and that's what makes the truck move.
    2 HPI Baja 5T, 1 HPI Baja 5B, Redcat Rampage Pro MT5, Rovan Baja 5B, HPI Crawler King, Losi Desert Dog

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice, so was it the wrong flywheel or something?
    Redcat Racing - Dunerunner, Hurricane XP, Aftershock 8e, Volcano, Volcano epx, Vortex epx, Tremor 18e pro
    Its me ti**tae

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, funny you should ask. I purcahsed a new flywheel, clutch bell and alum shoe upgrade from redcat. The flywheel was different so I just assumed it would work well i didn't.
    I was looking for a fuel tank for the Avalance so I did a googled and stumabled accross this dealer in my area (http://www.nitrodeals.com/) at the same time the parts came in but they were missing the bearing etc. that were supposed to come with the kit. Anyway Mikw from Nitro deals had a clutch kit and I used the flywheel from it.

ORIGINAL: chevyderek72

Nice, so was it the wrong flywheel or something?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice, ya its weird how they have different setups with the flywheel and clutch bells between buggy and truck.
    Redcat Racing - Dunerunner, Hurricane XP, Aftershock 8e, Volcano, Volcano epx, Vortex epx, Tremor 18e pro
    Its me ti**tae

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, very weird LOL