Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

redcat racing esc programming

same old story! my kid just got into rc cars, he has a redcatracing electric Tornado EPX car, last week he burnt up his motor, I ordered a replacement brushless motor & speed controller, installed it per (what I could read and understand) the instructions, the car ran awesome for about 5 minutes, now it acts like it does not want to accept throttle, it just jerks like it would with a low battery, my son also has a second car (same type) with stock motor that has a new esc on it and it is acting the same way, the stock esc is supposed to be a "one button programable", but the car did not come with programming instructions. Any help from anyone on getting these speed controllers programmed would be great! one is stock redcat, the other is wireless redcat.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

RE: redcat racing esc programming

On the brushless did you solder the connectors together for the motor?
    Dealer for..Redcat, Traxxas, Associated, Cen, Racers Edge, RD Logic, Losi, HPI, E-flight, Himoto, Venom, Heli-Max, O.S...etc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

did not solder the connector, used the barrell connectors that came with, had to solder on the female ends

if i'm not mistaken you have to solder the barrel connectors together or else you get to much resistance at that point and it stutters.

Tell you who to pm about it though would be pede-kid. I think he's the one that's always messing around with the electric cars.
    Dealer for..Redcat, Traxxas, Associated, Cen, Racers Edge, RD Logic, Losi, HPI, E-flight, Himoto, Venom, Heli-Max, O.S...etc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it sounds like one of two problems : A there is too much resistance like all about fun said. Try direct soldering the motor and using dean's plugs to plug in the batteries.

b) your batteries arent powerful enough.

brushelss speed controllers have a voltage cutoff to prevent damaging lipo batteries, when using a weak nicd or nimh battery, it can make it act like its *chugging*
    Mike Friery
    www.redcatracing.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

running a 4200 battery, did voltage drop tests and resistance checks with a Fluke meter, the worst part is my kid races every weekend, and now I'm waiting for Redcat to "test" the esc themselves before I can get a new one, and my kid has missed 3 races, I figured if I stuck with their product for replacement/upgrade parts that things would progress smoothly, hopefully they can get me an esc that will work by this coming week-end!
    any body know where to get a replacement driveshaft (redcat # 04003) for this car, it has been out of stock for 3+ weeks @ Redcat Racing, and I need one of these when the car finally gets driveable again!
    Thanks, Chuck

I put in a brushless motor and esc and am having the same problem I can't get my esc to get a green light any one know what I'm doing wrong?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have a caldera 10e that is about 8 months old and it just started doing the same thing. I spoke with James @ redcatracing and he had suggested resetting the esc and changing the low voltage cutoff. Unfortunately neither worked for me. I run my truck pretty hard but always try my best to clean and take care of it. The last suggestion I got from James @ redcatracing is that the magnets in the motor are getting weak, which could mean, it's time for a new motor. If you guys haven't tried restating the esc it worth shot.