Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

How to improve redcat shockwave

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Stang444

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to improve redcat shockwave

Ok, so soon, (after I sell some rc stuff) Im gona get a couple redcat shockwaves. Is there anything I can do to make it more competitive for club racing? I will mostly bash but still, we have several offroad tracks around. Like any tuning tips or something mainly to get more punch
Old 09-12-2008, 12:39 PM
codokas

Default RE: How to improve redcat shockwave

I own 2 shockwaves
Here is some stuff I've done:
Replaced stock clutch bell with HPI Racing Clutch Bell 13T or I use a 14T-all according to what I'm doing.The 13 gives tremendous torque
Replaced stock header with-HPI Aluminum Exhaust Header Nitro 3
Replaced front & rear wheels with-HPI Dish Wheel White 2.2"
Front tires-Pro-Line Dirt Hawg III 2.2 Front Buggy
Rear tires-Pro-Line Dirt Hawg I 2.2 Front/Rear Buggy
Air filter-Motor Saver Air Filter 10mm 45 Degree
Then I tinker with shock oil weight,springs-alignment-etc
One has a 16 and the other a 18 motor on it
DOUG

ORIGINAL: Stang444

Ok, so soon, (after I sell some rc stuff) Im gona get a couple redcat shockwaves. Is there anything I can do to make it more competitive for club racing? I will mostly bash but still, we several offroad tracks around. Like any tuning tips or something mainly to get more punch
Old 09-12-2008, 04:02 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Excellent tips. You could also upgrade the engine to a 5 port Infinity Katana .18 Engine. Oh by the way I've seen pics of his cars and there SWEET the way he has them set up and what he does with them. If anyone knows how to modify and up grade the shockwave it's codokas.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Stang444

Thanks guys, keep em comin
Old 09-12-2008, 08:04 PM
codokas

:}}}}}
Ya mean the latest one <G>
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60645.jpg
Views:	944
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1032073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13843.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1032074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90606.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1032075  
Old 09-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Stang444

MANNNN Thats sweeet Those are shockwaves?!?1?! I never would have guessed... Ok so WHat Im looking for is I would like it to stand up to and laugh at my local bmx track... Im not sure if it has the power to take jumps like that. Im not worried about suspention yet.. thats nothin, if it breaks Ill get aluminum
Old 09-13-2008, 09:33 AM
codokas

71 e is on a shockwave,as is the 45(not pictured) Monte is on a Tsunami-white #1 and #2 himoto road car(with buggy suspension under it
I also own a AE 10GT-just got it-work in progress
OK my son has a dirt oval track in his backyard-he owns 5 Traxxax's and my older grandson the same,my younger granson a Shockwave(Christmas present from grandma and grandpa<G> )-his friends own Traxxax and AE's.
They just shake their heads when I end up beating them-I have to out drive,out handle them-but that's the fun of it LOL-they most all run 3.3's
I have ABUSED my cats and my Himoto-and very little has ever broke-and I've smashed head on into things
The BIGGEST thing you can do when you get yours is buy a smaller gear clutch bell-that will really impress you
Break them in according to Redcat-always park the piston at the bottom and always use after run oil and filter oil
And my friend-you're gonna have a lot of fun

DOUG
ORIGINAL: Stang44i

MANNNN Thats sweeet Those are shockwaves?!?1?! I never would have guessed... Ok so WHat Im looking for is I would like it to stand up to and laugh at my local bmx track... Im not sure if it has the power to take jumps like that. Im not worried about suspention yet.. thats nothin, if it breaks Ill get aluminum
Old 09-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Stang444

Thanks a million man, I was really researching this car, because b4 I was second guessing redcat, but now Im seeing that they have pretty good c.s. and now my lhs carries their products. But yea, I read an rc universe review, and watched the vid, I thought the shockwave looked like it did the track better than the tornado bb. I`m really liking the look and price of ths car.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Stang444

This one? This is what came up at my lhs website. [link]http://h1073211.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=HPIA813[/link]
Old 09-13-2008, 07:27 PM
codokas

Here is what I run:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...5&I=LXLST5&P=K

That one that you came up with,IMO,is not a direct replacement,you have to change the pilot shaft

I like the racing ones because of the ventilation and you can give a look see at the clutch shoes
DOUG

This one? This is what came up at my lhs website. [link]http://h1073211.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=HPIA813[/link]
Old 09-13-2008, 07:30 PM
codokas

Here ya go:

http://h1073211.hobbyshopnow.com/ser...=ALL&tag=qsrch

Old 09-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Stang444

Thanx man, so are the bearings the same size in both clutches? (stock and 13tooth) I like the vent idea too, looks like its easy to just shoot some cleaner in there too.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:09 AM
codokas

YEP!! Exact replacement

DOUG

Thanx man, so are the bearings the same size in both clutches? (stock and 13tooth) I like the vent idea too, looks like its easy to just shoot some cleaner in there too.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:37 PM
ModMYrdCatShkwv

uhhh im wondering if i can put the tornado bb front clip on my shockwave im not sure but it seems it might just bolt right up...maybe??
i would like to mod this thing just aliitle and if anyone knows if i can put a vw bug body on this thing u know like where i can get one..please help thnx
Old 08-27-2009, 06:15 PM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: ModMYrdCatShkwv

uhhh im wondering if i can put the tornado bb front clip on my shockwave im not sure but it seems it might just bolt right up...maybe??
i would like to mod this thing just aliitle and if anyone knows if i can put a vw bug body on this thing u know like where i can get one..please help thnx
Yes they are the same.
You might want to purchase the upgrade kit.
You will have to trim and punch but here is some baja bodies;

http://www.rctoysnh.com/catalog/adva...2F10+baja+body
Old 08-28-2009, 01:52 PM
ModMYrdCatShkwv

oh dood thank you!! very kind of u to take the time for that info...awsome. freakin saweet!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:35 PM
mrbbox

how will the exhagst header make the shockwave faster...
Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 PM
mrbbox

how will the Air filter-Motor Saver Air Filter 10mm 45 Degree make the car faster.. can i just use the hsp air filter?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will probably not notice the gain by just changing the header and air filter alone, but every little thing will add up to more power. The stock air filter is on the small side, thus restricting air intake. This is one thing where bigger is better. Running a bigger header can help our hurt depending on the engine. Engines need the back pressure from the exhaust to help run. Some exhausts are too restrictive allowing you to experiment with less restrictive headers and pipes. This can increase your power. Go too big and you'll actually lose power. It's really a matter of trial and error on your part to see what runs best.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:50 AM
Clemzonb

Default Shockwave Servos

I recently purchased at Pre-owned Redcat Shockwave. Yhe seller has claimed that the puggy is in very good condition. However he has said the servos are not powerful enough to turn throttle and steering. I havent recieved the unit yet to see for myself. Im assuming fresh batteries could fix this. But, in the case that it isnt, what kind of servo upgrade would be recomended? My Traxxas was easy to upgrade with their part #s.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:23 PM
Eddiejr1990

I don’t know if any of you still go on here but I need some help. I’m new in the nitro world and to the redcat shockwave. I need help I want to make it faster. What do you guys recommend. Thank you in advance for help I appreciate it.