Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Deans Connector Questions

I would like to convert an NiMH 8.4 volt 4500mah battery to a deans connector. I'm wondering if their is even enough amps to require a deans connector. Also would a NiMH 9.6volt 4500mah battery require deans or not. If so could you suggest a one that would work good for me thanks, I'm planing on using these batterys in my volcano epx pro. Also If I do change these batterys to deans wont I need to change my chargers to deans?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Deans Connector Questions

The deans plugs are to reduce heat from cheap connectors since they have a very low resistance. Being that there is less resistance with a Deans plug as compared to molex, powerpoles, and trx connectors, there is also less of a current loss along with less of a voltage drop.

You'll need a male end for your charger and female plugs for your packs.

Depending on your esc and motor setup, its probably best that you just opt for the deans connectors. Since the days of molex were also the days of 500 - 1500 mAh packs with mabuchi 540 motors, they should pretty much be thinning out here in the future. Molex was great back in the day, but they simply don't hold up to the current that hot motors can pull today... AND the packs have a way higher capacity, many people end up with molex connector meltdowns!
    There are only 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don\'\'t.
    AMA: 722748

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kemo

The deans plugs are to reduce heat from cheap connectors since they have a very low resistance. Being that there is less resistance with a Deans plug as compared to molex, powerpoles, and trx connectors, there is also less of a current loss along with less of a voltage drop.

Depending on your esc and motor setup, its probably best that you just opt for the deans connectors. Since the days of molex were also the days of 500 - 1500 mAh packs with mabuchi 540 motors, they should pretty much be thinning out here in the future. Molex was great back in the day, but they simply don't hold up to the current that hot motors can pull today... AND the packs have a way higher capacity, many people end up with molex connector meltdowns!
    I feel I should say something here. I know for a fact, that powerpoles, and traxxas connectors will give the same performance as deans because they are both zero-loss connectors.......unlike the molex/tamiya connectors. So either one you choose, will be much much better than the tamiya (molex)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

...they are both zero-loss connectors
    ...says marketing! Engineering says there is no such thing as zero-loss, unless they are made from superconductor material.

That's not to say the aren't any good, of course. All of those modern connecters listed above will be better than the older Molex/Tamiya connectors. And yes, you'll need to change your charger, OR simply make an adapter using the old Molex plugs that you cut off your battery pack! (by the way, cut the old connector off one lead at a time! If you cut both you'll probably short the battery using the cutters!)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pede_187

ORIGINAL: Kemo

I feel I should say something here. I know for a fact, that powerpoles, and traxxas connectors will give the same performance as deans because they are both zero-loss connectors.......unlike the molex/tamiya connectors. So either one you choose, will be much much better than the tamiya (molex)
    powerpoles and trx connectors have more resistance than deans.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don\'\'t.
    AMA: 722748