Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Redcat Custom Monster Truck - DONE!

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Custom Monster Truck - DONE!

Old 09-21-2008, 03:44 PM
jpilkinton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat Custom Monster Truck - DONE!

I just thought I would post some progress of my new Redcat monster truck I am working on. I believe it will be in between 1/10 and 1/8 scale.
How do they measure scale size anyways?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25577.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1037566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14487.jpg
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1037567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53009.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1037568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13823.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1037569  
Old 09-21-2008, 04:01 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE: Redcat Custom Monster Truck

its a tractor puller! haha. thats gonna be sweet when its done, cant wait to see more
Old 09-21-2008, 04:09 PM
el_tonto

Scale size is usually measured by the size of the BODY that fits. e.g. the PTI Goliath has virtually the same wheelbase as a 1:10 on-road car (10 inches) but it's classified as a 1:18 because the body has a 150mm wheelbase! Crazy.

Given that you're using 2.2" wheels, I'd call that a 1/10 since almost all 1/10s trucks use 2.2" wheels. Except Traxxas which moved to 2.8" a few years ago, and the newer Losi's recently went up in wheel size too.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:12 PM
el_tonto

By the way, I'd find a body that you like the look of first, and then set the wheelbase to look good underneath it - before you get too stuck in to doing the chassis!
Old 09-21-2008, 04:51 PM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: tihstae

its a tractor puller! haha. thats gonna be sweet when its done, cant wait to see more
That exactly what I though of when I set the front tires beside it!
Old 09-21-2008, 04:56 PM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: el_tonto

By the way, I'd find a body that you like the look of first, and then set the wheelbase to look good underneath it - before you get too stuck in to doing the chassis!
I didn't think of that untill I cut the aluminum. I have more pieces I can cut if I need to go longer. I need to find a truck body and see how close I am. If the wheels don't line up perfectly with the wheel wells, that's ok since the body will be well above the chassis.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:03 PM
jpilkinton

I like the idea of a tractor puller. I do have two SH 12's I could stab in it. I may look into that also when I get my other RTM kits in......
Of course if I go with twin engines, I will need to replace the plastic gears in the rear end with metal ones....
I may also order another RTM tremor truck and use the front end on the back so I can have 4-wheel steering. Too many options right now..
Here's some more pics with the front end installed:
And of course someone else had to be in the picture!

Name:	Jh14470.jpg
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1037613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70995.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1037614  
Old 09-21-2008, 05:46 PM
jpilkinton

Scale size is usually measured by the size of the BODY that fits. e.g. the PTI Goliath has virtually the same wheelbase as a 1:10 on-road car (10 inches) but it's classified as a 1:18 because the body has a 150mm wheelbase! Crazy.
That is CRAZY.. OK, so it will be a 1/10 scale.

Given that you're using 2.2" wheels, I'd call that a 1/10 since almost all 1/10s trucks use 2.2" wheels. Except Traxxas which moved to 2.8" a few years ago, and the newer Losi's recently went up in wheel size too.
Yeah, these are 2.2" wheels. So it doesn't matter if you have 5" in diameter tires using 2.2" rims right?
Old 09-21-2008, 07:12 PM
el_tonto

So it doesn't matter if you have 5" in diameter tires using 2.2" rims right?
Matter to who? lol if you want to sell it and give some indication of scale, then photograph it pulling a certain small child along on a skateboard!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:59 PM
jpilkinton

So it doesn't matter if you have 5" in diameter tires using 2.2" rims right?
Matter to who? lol if you want to sell it and give some indication of scale, then photograph it pulling a certain small child along on a skateboard!
To be considered as a 1/10 scale.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:44 PM
el_tonto

It would only matter if you want to compete, otherwise it's just an approximate indicator. The "1/10th" Rustler and Stampede both have a wheelbase approaching 12" or so, so if you're between 10" and 12" then I'd safely call it 1/10. I think the maximum track for racing is about 12.5" (outside wall to outside wall, at static ride height), and even with those enormous tires I don't think you'd exceed that.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 PM
jpilkinton

It would only matter if you want to compete, otherwise it's just an approximate indicator. The "1/10th" Rustler and Stampede both have a wheelbase approaching 12" or so, so if you're between 10" and 12" then I'd safely call it 1/10. I think the maximum track for racing is about 12.5" (outside wall to outside wall, at static ride height), and even with those enormous tires I don't think you'd exceed that.
OK. I measured from front axle to rear axle and I am at 10.5"
I would never think about using this truck to compete. I only did this out of sheer enjoyment of building one. I had so many ideas to use these SH12's in, but never got around to doing anything untill now.
Thanks for the info buddy!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:52 PM
jpilkinton

OK, just got done making the transmission(if you want to call it that) and mounting the engine. I will have to make the drive shafts myself considering the distance between the tranny and rear end. Its looking promising!

Name:	Sq47852.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1038160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33805.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1038161   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28276.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1038162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73921.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1038163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57936.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1038164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq96188.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1038165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac63316.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1038166  
Old 09-22-2008, 03:55 PM
el_tonto

Can the input cup on the rear diff be removed, exposing the shaft? all the redcat shafts are 5mm which means you can use the sliding shafts from Traxxas (Jato or Stampede or Rustler) or Axial (for their crawler), and possibly the HPI Wheely King (which might use 6mm, in which case you can't). Emaxx, Revo shafts etc are all 6mm so they are out. Sliding shafts mean you don't need to find a dogbone that fits! And despite being plastic, they are very very strong (The Jato is a 60+mph nitro!)

I did a Traxxas sliding shafts conversion on the outdrives of my front diff - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7433522/tm.htm

by the way - I'm not sure you've got enough reduction in the center transmission - you're turning some mighty big wheels! Probably OK for drag racing if you can keep the overall weight down, but not good for tractor pulling!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:58 AM
jpilkinton

Can the input cup on the rear diff be removed, exposing the shaft? all the redcat shafts are 5mm which means you can use the sliding shafts from Traxxas (Jato or Stampede or Rustler) or Axial (for their crawler), and possibly the HPI Wheely King (which might use 6mm, in which case you can't). Emaxx, Revo shafts etc are all 6mm so they are out. Sliding shafts mean you don't need to find a dogbone that fits! And despite being plastic, they are very very strong (The Jato is a 60+mph nitro!)

I did a Traxxas sliding shafts conversion on the outdrives of my front diff - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7433522/tm.htm

by the way - I'm not sure you've got enough reduction in the center transmission - you're turning some mighty big wheels! Probably OK for drag racing if you can keep the overall weight down, but not good for tractor pulling!

Yeah I can remove the input cups, but these shafts are 4mm. 8-(
I am using the front and rear end from the 1/16 tremors. I think I will make this one into a mud sled. And when I get finished with this one, I will see about using some 1/10 redcat front and rear ends and make the truck from them. As for the gear reduction, yeah I need more for pulling torque. If I can find an idler gear(I can't remember the name for sure), I can put that in between the clutchbell and tranny gear.
I did manage to make the rear dogbone tonight:

Name:	Ge96691.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1039291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67539.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1039292  
Old 09-23-2008, 01:08 AM
jpilkinton

Yeah, I seen that picture before. Pretty impressive indeed! They look nice. I just wished these were 5mm instead of 4mm.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:02 PM
el_tonto

what's the motor from? if it's a 1/10 motor then you can get clutch bells down to 12T which will give you stonks of torque - it looks like your existing bell is about 20T-22T

How many teeth is your spur? (and it's 32P isn't it?)
Old 09-24-2008, 04:20 AM
jpilkinton

what's the motor from? if it's a 1/10 motor then you can get clutch bells down to 12T which will give you stonks of torque - it looks like your existing bell is about 20T-22T

How many teeth is your spur? (and it's 32P isn't it?)
The engine is supposed to go in the AE NTC3. I am using the NTC3 clutchbell with the spin on gears. Let me count the teeth on the clutch and the spur......
Spur Gear = 52 teeth
Silver Clutch Gear = 20 teeth (this is the gear I am using right now)
Purple Clutch Gear = 27 teeth

32P? As in pitch? If your talking about pitch, I have no clue. I was just fortunate that my spur gear and my clutchbell was the same pitch.
What ever the pitch is on the Assoiciated Nitro TC3 is the pitch I have.
I guess I could try this clutchbell out:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNZ42&P=7

Of course I will have to buy the flywheel, shoes, clutch bearing, springs, and pilot shaft.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:33 PM
el_tonto

the ntc3 was a 1/10th car made in the US so it's almost certainly 32-Pitch (same as the redcat 1/10th)

You could try throwing [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNYX7&P=7]this idler gear[/link] for the NTC3 in, which is roughly equivalent to dropping to a 13T

What are the dimensions of the clutch bell? Inner diameter (where the shoes engage), the length of the threaded part, and the length of the non-threaded part in particular. You might be able to use another brand clutch bell while only requiring new bearings, so you can keep the existing flywheel, shaft, shoes and springs.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:01 AM
jpilkinton

the ntc3 was a 1/10th car made in the US so it's almost certainly 32-Pitch (same as the redcat 1/10th)

You could try throwing [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNYX7&P=7]this idler gear[/link] for the NTC3 in, which is roughly equivalent to dropping to a 13T

What are the dimensions of the clutch bell? Inner diameter (where the shoes engage), the length of the threaded part, and the length of the non-threaded part in particular. You might be able to use another brand clutch bell while only requiring new bearings, so you can keep the existing flywheel, shaft, shoes and springs.
Here's the specs on the clutchbell I have now:
Height: 22.5mm (.888")
Diameter of gear shaft: 12.5mm (.494")
Overall diameter: 28mm (1.105")

Since the clutch parts are kinda cheap, I may go ahead and buy the parts and maybe use this clutchbell here on something else..

Old 09-25-2008, 01:11 AM
tylervalentine

The truck is looking great!

its really cool that your actually making a project out of the existing truck.

im thinking about building a rally car out of my lighting and shockwave by using the sh .18 engine and the shockwave's arms ,wheels, and shocks.
it would dramaticly wide'n the car.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:23 AM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: tylervalentine

The truck is looking great!

its really cool that your actually making a project out of the existing truck.

im thinking about building a rally car out of my lighting and shockwave by using the sh .18 engine and the shockwave's arms ,wheels, and shocks.
it would dramaticly wide'n the car.
Thanks!
Making something else out of something is pretty fun and I enjoy working with aluminum. I could spend hours just making an engine mount. Let alone easier than 100% custom made.
It has been a job making the parts. The toughest part so far was making a new throttle arm for the carb. The plastic one that came from the factory broke and wouldn't hold a position on the carb. I got the servos mounted, finished the engine mount, and the throttle rod completed.

If everything goes as planned, I will fire her up this weekend and do a little test run to see if this clutch will work. Just got to find some good MUD!
And of course there will be video too!

Name:	Om33782.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1041066  
Old 09-26-2008, 02:03 AM
chevyderek72

looks good man, i cant wait to see some video of it. im actually thinking of doing one now haha
Old 09-26-2008, 02:55 AM
el_tonto

where's the brakes?

In case you haven't thought about it already, I'd recommend putting the brakes on the front. So leave the front dogbones and diff assembly in place so that you can mount the brake disc to the diff input.

THEN you can lock up the front (well, if you have a 3-channel radio) and light up the rear! wooooooo!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:40 AM
tylervalentine

have you already planned everything out or are you going one thing at a time?

cant wait to see a video! but when you do make the video make sure to go all the around the truck so we can see all of your handy work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.