Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

VOLCANOS FOR XMAS, WHAT SPARES DO I NEED?

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

VOLCANOS FOR XMAS, WHAT SPARES DO I NEED?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VOLCANOS FOR XMAS, WHAT SPARES DO I NEED?

Go to wheelextensions.com 12mm hex. Any wheels or wheel extensions you get are gonna need to be a 12mm hex if your looking for a direct fit.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:07 PM
boostnm3

traxxas stampede wheels are 12mm hex and fit perfectly. i just picked up some today
Old 12-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Foofer04

Sweet thanks man, Yea if I can get an extra 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch on each side I think that would be an improvement, I am also going to go to 2.2 wheels as soon as the factor ones break, if they don't break I will go to the 2.2 wheels before I start running it at the track this summer.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Brett185

You may wanna consider getting aluminum hex nuts for the wheels if your planning on putting it on a track. You can get them from redcat and they're not expensive.Pretty much I would recommend putting going aluminum with most everything wheel related, A-arms, steering buckles, hex nuts....etc...... very much worth it in the long run. I have a tsunami uw, it has aluminum a-arms, and I added the aluminum c-hubs ( the nitro volcano doesn't have c-hubs I just recently found out ) and aluminum hexes. I haven't broken or bent a single aluminum part yet ( knock on wood..lol.. ) and I've beaten the everliving crap out of my nami. Just remember to loctite every screw that goes into metal...very important....
Old 12-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Foofer04

When you say hex nuts, Are yuo talking about the Nylon nut that holds the wheel on or the Hex that goes into the Wheel from the axle?

As far as aluminum, I was told that getting the drive cups aluminum was sufficient, they said that if you go with aluminum Arms that instead of them breaking that something else would bend or break that is much more expensive than a 2.00 arm.

I was actually glad to hear that recommendation from a dealer, since it would have been in his pocket's best interest to say yes by the 100.00 aluminum hop up kit.

I am going to try and stay plastic as much as I can to keep the weight down.

I really like the idea of the Wheel extensions. They bolt right on and replace the stock one. I am going to buy the 1 1/2 " ones so that I have a 3" wider stance.

Also I am going to replace the Stock crappy air filter with a 45* angle Motor saver Air filter.

I also put some foam bushings I had laying around in the front end of my wifes where the dog bones go into the front diff. to snug them up some.

Just waiting for the roto start to show up in the mail so I can do an addition 2 or 3 tank fulls of 1/2 throttle break in. I am not satisfied with the break end they recommend, just doesn't seem like enough and since I have until May to get both trucks ready and I havent ordered mine yet, I figure might as well do it right.

Thanks for the tips,

I do have a question,

Do you know how to tighten the slipper clutch up on these? It seems I can identify 2 different ones. 1 on the Drive shafts, and the clutch bell of course. Looking for a way to loosed it up slightly so that the gears have less chance of striping when landing a jump under power.

The one on my steps son's Rustler is very easy to see and adjust and I see nothing remotely close to that on her Volcano.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Brett185

Well the only adjustment you can make as far as I know is on the clutch on the transmission, turn the car over and there will be a groove on the bottom where the spur gears are. You'll see a silver clutch in front of the second gear with two holes in it. One hole is what holds the clutch to the shaft, and the other is the shift adjustment. You want to adjust the one that is less recessed. It is in the hole that is angled. All you can do is adjust the shift point. Loosen it to shift earlier and tighten it to shift later or not shift at all. As far as the aluminum hex nuts are concerned I would still advise getting them, I and my friend ( who has a volcano electric ) we both have stripped out the hex nuts. The pin inside that actually turns the nut completely routed out the inside of the nut itself. But I've only stripped one but he as stripped a couple. But anyway just run it with the nylon ones and see if you have a problem, you may not ever strip one. You can always get them later.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:33 AM
IMPATIENT 1

got the rotostart covers in finally, was getting alil worried they'd never make it in time. doin break in tonite on the sv's then i'll clean em up and wrap em, hope the twins like em.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Brett185

I'm sure they will love them....what kid wouldn't?
Old 12-18-2008, 03:25 PM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: Brett185

I'm sure they will love them....what kid wouldn't?
they better!! i'm 2 volcanos and about 150 in spare parts into this now

i put 1 of the trucks back together at lunchtime, used the copy paper , pulled the motor over to the spur, checked motor alignment then tightened it down. i turned the spur to spit out the paper and its accordian as expected , but how sharp should the "sawtooth" should be? exactly to a point or just folded good, that's it. i set the clearence where i think it should be and its about 2mm inward on the spur compared to factory settings(i marked the motor bolts before removing)