Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

VOLCANOS FOR XMAS, WHAT SPARES DO I NEED?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

VOLCANOS FOR XMAS, WHAT SPARES DO I NEED?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:44 PM
IMPATIENT 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VOLCANOS FOR XMAS, WHAT SPARES DO I NEED?

hi, my name is tom and i'm new to the rc forums, but have been on performance dragboat forum(fullsize,lol) sites for awhile. i bought my twin son's both volcano sv's for xmas this yr and wanted to know what is the most common parts that break so i can stock up and keep them enjoying the hobby. i've already bought spare: rear a-arms, frt wheel holders, throttle/brake linkage, shocks(4), steering linkage,2 spare diffs, air filters. found someone upgrading a new volcano so i bought what they had pulled off for spares. is there anything else i should stock up on? i understand they're good rc's, but twin 9yr old boys will do what they do,lol. was just wondering what is the common things to break during a bad jump or crash. thanx, tom ethridge
Old 12-08-2008, 04:41 PM
7M

Default RE: VOLCANOS FOR XMAS, WHAT SPARES DO I NEED?

Volcano SV's are pretty stout from the factory, they don't need much repair after a crash or jump. You've pretty much got the list down, but i suggest you acquire two spare dogbones (front or rear, doesn't really matter) and an extra set of front lower A-arms. Hitting a tree or wall head-on with one of the front wheels will surely rip the A-arm apart, so be careful Other than that, you'll be okay. Your boys will love the Volcano I can guarantee you that, and like most Nitro RC's, routine maintenance with the Volcano will keep it running forever.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 PM
natanddiane

you will also need new pull starters and one way bearings for the engines. The starters will fall off before the first tank of gas is out. Then, the engine will pull away from the plastic gear assembly, and grind it off. So, buy new gears right away. You'll red permatex the screws down on the engine mounts, but they will vibrate loose.

New exhaust manifold and gaskets aint a bad idea either. These screws will also fall out, and drop the parts somewhere in tthe snow. You'll wanna be running right away after that, so, get the screws too..

Red loctite dies not work on these. Tried it. Wont hold. The metal parts have to be surgically clean, and the loctite needs 24 hrs to set.

Spare engines aint a bad idea either. The motor blocks will crack in the cold.. so a couple of these are needed.

I can send you pictures if you like of all this...

Better idea? Take the volcanoes back, and get an associated MGT 4.6. Nice 8th scale thats hard to kill, and your LHS has the parts. No mail ordering from redcat and waiting up to 10 days to get the parts.

Just letting you know the real deal, and i do have pictures of my poor volcano.. after her first tank of break in fuel.

Best advice?? Loctite eveyry metal to metal screw.. CA glue every metal into plastic screw.

After EACH half tank of fuel, take it all apart, and do again.

Do not jump these cars. You'll rip the primary plastic styrene gears out.

Dont waste your money on the front universal joints either. They will break right off as soon as throttle is applied...

And do remember... try to have fun!!!

/

Just enjoy all the maintenance.. have fun, and learn something.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:31 PM
IMPATIENT 1

thanx for the info fellas! i'm not skeered of tinkering with em, i'm a gm master tech by profession , and my other hobby is dragboats, so spending time wrenching on things doesn't bother me. waiting on parts does though.

so let me add to my list:

external starter set-ups for both trucks(guess i could just by a starting table and be ahead of the game)

need both frt arms and dogbone, i've already got complete rear set-up on the way in the mail.

i'll by the hopup kits when a drive shaft gives(i assume that comes with the ujoints nat mentioned) for the exhaust and alum a-arms

i'll get on ebay and get em a starting stand ordered for em so they won't have to dick with the pull start much, and get some frt arms coming. pretty sure the rear a-arm set-up i bought came with dogbones(do they fit frt as well?). appreciate the info fellas, this is more of a father-son deal i'm trying to get my boys into more than anything, so keeping it cheap for starters to see if we like it is a must. i'll buy a spare motor to put back for them as well. anything else?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:35 PM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: natanddiane

you will also need new pull starters and one way bearings for the engines. The starters will fall off before the first tank of gas is out. Then, the engine will pull away from the plastic gear assembly, and grind it off. So, buy new gears right away. You'll red permatex the screws down on the engine mounts, but they will vibrate loose.

New exhaust manifold and gaskets aint a bad idea either. These screws will also fall out, and drop the parts somewhere in tthe snow. You'll wanna be running right away after that, so, get the screws too..

Red loctite dies not work on these. Tried it. Wont hold. The metal parts have to be surgically clean, and the loctite needs 24 hrs to set.

Spare engines aint a bad idea either. The motor blocks will crack in the cold.. so a couple of these are needed.

I can send you pictures if you like of all this...

Better idea? Take the volcanoes back, and get an associated MGT 4.6. Nice 8th scale thats hard to kill, and your LHS has the parts. No mail ordering from redcat and waiting up to 10 days to get the parts.

Just letting you know the real deal, and i do have pictures of my poor volcano.. after her first tank of break in fuel.

Best advice?? Loctite eveyry metal to metal screw.. CA glue every metal into plastic screw.

After EACH half tank of fuel, take it all apart, and do again.

Do not jump these cars. you'll rip the primary plastic styrene gears out.

Dont waste your money on the front universal joints either. They will break right off as soon as throttle is applied...

And do remember... try to have fun!!!

/

Just enjoy all the maintenance.. have fun, and learn something.
nat, by "you'll rip the primary plastic gears out" , do you mean the trans or diffs?i bought 2 spare diffs for em, stock, but at least we'll have spares.

here's what i do i my spare time:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75559.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1086352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51982.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1086353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30464.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1086354  
Old 12-08-2008, 06:14 PM
7M

ORIGINAL: natanddiane

Whoa there, is that really necessary? Note he got them for his kids, Volcano's are great for beginners in RC. And all the information you posted can happen to any RC, its all about "Maintenance"

And to IMPATIENT 1, stripping the gears out (where the engine clutch bell meets the transmission) will only occur if the gear mesh is bad. It will be a good idea to check the mesh prior to running by sliding paper in between the gears.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:21 PM
natanddiane

well, just make sure your gear mesh is PERFECT whe you fire these volcanos up for your boys. Make sure their motors are perfectly tight, and teh starter assy you plan to use is also blue or red loctited. That dang exhaust port manifold falls off really easy... really really easy. So, rede loctite it, and the motor mounts all before your twins see them Christmas Morning., and wanna go playin'.
I wanna see your boys have fun too... really, but there is PILES of maintenance with these. Hey, also.. did you check the radio frequencies? NOT the channel.. the frequency. My son and son in law ( they are the ones that got me into this.... greatful to them) had the different CHANNEL numbers, but the SAME FREQUENCY. They crashed their lightening and volcano head on into each other, bits flying all over the place in the first minute!! So watch carefully.

Nitro is a heck of a way to get started.. Might also want to make sure you are away from any truckers. These radios use the same frequencies as citizen's band radios. Near a truck stop or an interstate?? You'll lose control the first time a trucker with an over powered over modulated CB keys his mike up.

Still cant change your mind to buy an Associated MGT?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Redcat Nick

Why are you so bent out on the Volcano? I know tons of people that have Volcano's had them for years. And none of them even have 1/2 of the problems that you claim to have. I have only heard of one Vx engine with a broken block. And I have seen 50+ of them come in with our engine warranty over the last year and a half that we have had it going. The vx engines aren't the best engines but they get the job done.

Blue lock tight is sufficient for all metal to metal screws. With red have fun loosening up those screws. Exhaust screws rarely fall out and when lock tighted even rarer. Lock tight on the motor mount screws stops screws from vibrating looses.

Impatient 1 have no worries about getting the volcano. Sure they have some isues. they do require maintenance and yesw they do break. But so do my associated and losi cars.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:15 PM
natanddiane

guess im so bent on the volcano because i spent 600 dollars on it, and it still is not functional. She has never jumpedl. Never ran at full throttle, and has less than a half gallon of fuel ran through both engines.

Once i find out how to unsubscribe, I will, but Red Car Rick, I am providing free speech, and the truth based on empirical evidence, and experience.

Just doing what these forums are for, ain't i?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:30 PM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: Redcat Nick

Why are you so bent out on the Volcano? I know tons of people that have Volcano's had them for years. And none of them even have 1/2 of the problems that you claim to have. I have only heard of one Vx engine with a broken block. And I have seen 50+ of them come in with our engine warranty over the last year and a half that we have had it going. The vx engines aren't the best engines but they get the job done.

Blue lock tight is sufficient for all metal to metal screws. With red have fun loosening up those screws. Exhaust screws rarely fall out and when lock tighted even rarer. Lock tight on the motor mount screws stops screws from vibrating looses.

Impatient 1 have no worries about getting the volcano. Sure they have some isues. they do require maintenance and yesw they do break. But so do my associated and losi cars.
already been on the redcat site watching and reading, getting to know the break-in procedures well the videos there were good too, got me wanting 1 for myself,lol. i'm sure anything plastic that hits something at 35mph+ is gonna break, its physics
the himoto rapida pro i ordered for my lil brother came in today, has the same vertex motor so i read thru the break-in instructions with it, i can handle it! the paper clearence checking procedure is burned into my brain at this point as well,lol.volcanos should be here in the morning, and i'll get busy doin the proper set-up on those, and i'll do the rapida pro while i'm at it. thanx guys!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:42 PM
IMPATIENT 1

ok, i ordered a starting box dealio for the boys , no pull start to mess with, and i'm sure it makes starting sooo much nicer than pulling the string repeadly during a bad tune-up.

here's a recap of what stocker parts i have coming:

rear a-arms with hardware
frt wheel holders with hardware
throttle/brake linkage
shocks(4)
steering linkage set-up
2 spare diffs
air filters
just picked up a spare stock clutch bell
upper frt arms
some spare fuel tubing

do i just order new stock clutch bell or is there 1 alil nicer that doesn't cost much more? i'm deadset on having everything i could possibbly need on hand my user name is what all my dragboats have been named, i've been told it suits me xmas isn't far away, wanna keep in runnin thru that weekend! anyone else break something on 1 and have a suggestion? still need a couple spare sets of lower frt arms/

Old 12-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

Your gonna want to stock up on c-hubs. I have broken more of those on my tsunami than anythig else. Also drive cups all the way around. and the transmission dogbones. There's a 61mm and a 72 or 77mm something like that. Oh, and as far as the c-hubs are concerned, and pretty much any other part for that matter, I would highly reccommend getting aluminum in as many parts as you can afford. Very much worth it in the long run.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:56 AM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: Brett185

Your gonna want to stock up on c-hubs. I have broken more of those on my tsunami than anythig else. Also drive cups all the way around. and the transmission dogbones. There's a 61mm and a 72 or 77mm something like that. Oh, and as far as the c-hubs are concerned, and pretty much any other part for that matter, I would highly reccommend getting aluminum in as many parts as you can afford. Very much worth it in the long run.
you'll have to forgive me, i'm not up on the lingo yet, what's the c-hub? drive cup? are the drive cups in the clutch bell or tranny?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Redcat Nick

The volcano sv doesn't have c-hubs. It comes with pb suspension. you would need this. http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....d.548/.f?sc=14
Old 12-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Brett185

Ok well whatever attaches the wheels to the steering. Either way, Any parts that attach the wheels to the chasis or the steering, if possible get them in aluminum.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:48 AM
IMPATIENT 1

both volcanos just came in, everything looks good other than they're both the same damn frequencies[:@] not happy about that at all since i stressed and stressed how i needed them to be different! calling the ebay store i bought them from now, i need this right before next week!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:25 PM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impatient1, I just shot you a PM.

Darin
Old 12-09-2008, 12:47 PM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: RedcatRacing

Darin
thanx darin, i sent 1 back ya!

gonna do all the loctite work, setting up the bell clearence etc. while i wait for the crystals to come in, maybe i can hide them from the boys that long. i usually get something and wrap it immediately,lol. they're sneaky lil chits, always find mom and dad's hiding spots.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Brett185

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to get you some extra clutches. Both the engine clutch and the 2spd. clutch.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:02 PM
IMPATIENT 1

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to get you some extra clutches. Both the engine clutch and the 2spd. clutch.
the plastic clutch shoes and spring? i'm putting a order together from redcat right now, and have the stocker set in my cart as well, comes with plastic shoes and spring
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2008, 03:04 PM
IMPATIENT 1

the dogbones are the half shafts right? 08059
Old 12-09-2008, 03:41 PM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: RedcatRacing

Darin
darin, i placed the order with you guys for the spares i need: Your Confirmation Number is 232-104864
Old 12-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Brett185

Yep. There's 3 different ones on the volcano. 63mm,77mm, and a 90mm. Also the drive cups. Part#02016, 02032, 02034. That shoud get you started. A good idea is to put o-rings in all of your drive cups, if they don't already have them installed, it helps snug up the dogbones. Oh, and if you are going to have them apart, go ahead and check all the set screws on the drive cups on the diffs and transmission. It can save you a headache later. Oh, and the most importat thing of all.....be patient and I hope you boys have tons of fun.........
Old 12-09-2008, 03:46 PM
IMPATIENT 1

ok, i feel i've got a decent stock of parts now,lol:

rear a-arms with hardware
frt wheel holders with hardware
throttle/brake linkage
shocks(4)
steering linkage set-up
2 spare diffs
air filters
just picked up a spare stock clutch bell
upper frt arms
some spare fuel tubing
frt lower arms(2 sets)
couple exhaust gaskets
muffler to headers silicone coupler
set of spare dogbones
extra brake disc set and shoes
extra clutch shoes and spring
just order 2 rotostart covers for the vx.18 motors along with the hpi rotostart shaft, so we can drill start em, weehaaa!!!!
picked up a complete stock volcano trans
drive cups for both frt and rear diffs
couple spare stock tires on wheels
couple stock servos

darin is sending me some of the stuff along with a new set of crystals. i can't see anything else i might need right away, i guess we'll just have to see when something goes bad,lol.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:49 PM
IMPATIENT 1

Yep. There's 3 different ones on the volcano. 63mm,77mm, and a 90mm. Also the drive cups. Part#02016, 02032, 02034. That shoud get you started. A good idea is to put o-rings in all of your drive cups, if they don't already have them installed, it helps snug up the dogbones. Oh, and if you are going to have them apart, go ahead and check all the set screws on the drive cups on the diffs and transmission. It can save you a headache later. Oh, and the most importat thing of all.....be patient and I hope you boys have tons of fun.........
sounds like good advise i've already set them a nice bench up in my shop with a overhead lite and some tray shelfs for spare parts etc.. they'll have a blast with it and will dig having their own place in my shop at home. they asked last nite what i got em, i told them i thought they were getting alil old for toys, so i got em a hobby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.