Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

landslide crash...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:45 PM
1972roadrunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default landslide crash...

so i'm out tooling around in what we call "The Fish Bowl", which is a big hole in the ground that used to have water and fish. These days, it's a popular quad riding area. my landslide was doing really well, then died because i had it too rich (still learning how much smoke is the right amount). i cleaned my glow plug and leaned it out a little, and on the first hill-climb attemp after the adjustment there was a pop and the truck revved up, but didn't move. i figured it was that one-way bearing in the 2spd trans, and it was. luckily, i had my spare. after a swap of the one-way bearing, i went to tooling around some more, went up a hill, around the burm at the top, back down and hauled butt across the flat bottom, and then it happened...tires don't work in the air. the truck flew into some weeds where it found a rock, half the size of the truck. [X(]

when i got to it, the front left tire, hub, dogbone/u-joint, lower arm, upper arm, shock, and sway bar end were intact, but near the rear tire [&o]...the hinge pins are gone, as are the suspension holders on the front; upper and lower. also broken was the plastic steering link, and wouldn't you know it...most of the parts i need are out of stock...[:@] the front lower arms, aluminum steering saver, and an aluminum L shaped servo arm in gun metal grey were the only things i got ordered so far.

anybody in RedCat know when aluminum suspension holders, nylon front upper arms, and hinge pins will be back in stock?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:58 PM
perhamrocks

Default RE: landslide crash...

atleast you were have fun when you broke it. that always makes it better. [sm=rolleyes.gif]
Old 02-05-2009, 08:32 PM
amf66

Sounds like a pretty bad crash! Can you get some pictures of the carnage when you have a chance?
Old 02-05-2009, 11:17 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

If you have the part numbers I can check and see if I have them in stock still.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:14 AM
1972roadrunner

ok, here's a bunch of pictures.

what it looked like when i got to it...

the bottom lower suspension holder...or whats left anyhow.

with the tire off.

HPI Pitchforks on HPI Mag 8 wheels VS. stock landslide.

Barely clears the exhaust.

If you look close you can see the treads i trimmed off so it would clear.

Also had to trim the body...

Barely clears there too.

Also had to raise the posts in the rear.

Left the front ones alone.

and added a custom "body lift kit"

another shot of the lower holder.

and a couple of the steering.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:39 AM
1972roadrunner

i now have everything ordered but the upper control arm, and hinge pins, which should be shipped sometime around the 15th i think. at least my paddle tires will be in by the time it's ready to go [8D]
Old 02-18-2009, 05:58 PM
spongeyguy

maybe the paddle tires will help it steer in the air haha. I had a wreck with my on road car that was pretty bad. I was seein ghow fast it could go and once it was about to speed it hit a bump i didnt see and the crystal flew out. It went full throttle into a curb then bounced off it and shot the otehr way across the street where it hit that curb head on. The rear end flipped up and it landed upside down in the grass and the engine cut out. The whole front end was broken but luckily most the parts were under warranty. Only a few things I had to pay for. The only crash I had with my landslide so far was into a tree. I put batteries that I thought were fresh in but they were really dead. My fail safe went off but I had not set it right and it went full speed into a tree. I could still turn it but I couldn't control the gas. I was surprised because the only thing that broke was a body post.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 PM
RCToysNh

We have most parts restock due in next week. The Chinese new year slowed things up a little. Factory shut down for 3 weeks.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:25 PM
perhamrocks

ORIGINAL: spongeyguy

maybe the paddle tires will help it steer in the air haha...
theoretically if you had a big enough jump those paddles actually could rotate your truck, especially if your just trying to do a backflip or front flip
Old 02-19-2009, 04:03 PM
1972roadrunner

dang, sounds like it was a wild wreck to watch spongeyguy!

i trimmed some lower pins to use in the upper arms which worked out, and ran the crap out of it some more. i was a little confused about the performance with the paddles on it though. seems like too much traction with paddles and 4 wheel drive, and it was cold out which didn't help. next time i run my paddles i'll remove the grub screw from the brake hub so it'll be RWD with front brakes...

the last time i ran it, we broke 2 one-way bearings and 2 body posts. i'm amazed i have ANY body posts after it tumbled, flipped, and cartwheeled all the way down the 1.5 story sand hill.

i'm taking donations for a video camera! send paypal: [email protected]!! LOL