Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

What to buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:30 AM
burnout420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy

Hi

I just bought a Tornado BB and so far its been running pretty good. I probably ran about a quart a fuel through it. I had a few accidents but nothing major(bent front shock but fixed and rims a little beat). I just have a few questions. First what rims are wroth buying plastic or aluminum. Second what shocks are an upgrade to the stock ones. Is the hop up kit wroth it? Does the pipe and header good that comes with it. I read that the clutch spring is bad in these i haven't had a problem yet but should i get that first. What other parts fit on the tornado? Well i think that's it so far.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2009, 02:07 AM
chevyderek72

Default RE: What to buy

I would stick with plastic, the stock ones arent the strongest, but you can get some that are stonger and wont break. Redcat has some good shocks that work real well for like 32 or so, but really most shocks will work. Uhh well im not a fan of the aluminum in the hop up kit, if you break or bend the aluminum you have to replace a expensive aluminum part. but the pipe and header are good, i would deff grab those.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:43 PM
burnout420

Thanks for the info.
So your saying the aluminum is bad? Thought it would hold up better than the plastic. So is the is the exhaust the same they sell separately. I can tell what shocks are better they'll look the same but the price is different.

thanks again.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:14 PM
r\c justin

burnout what part of PA, u live in and yea alum can be good and bad, bends but doesn't break, and as far as shock they get bent just take them apart and bend them back straight...
Old 02-16-2009, 04:31 PM
burnout420

I live in new castle, pa. Yeah that's what i did to fix my shock. My friend got the same thing and his snapped at the top of the thread at the bottom. Well my cuz and me went to go play with the cars and we put new batteries in them and it wouldn't power the car up. So i don't know what the problem is i thought they were dead but they aint.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:32 PM
chevyderek72

Well aluminum might hold up if you hit it soft, but if you hit it hard it will bend, or send the shock somewhere else like the diff housing, which is a beezy to replace.

ya this is the pipe- http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....d.513/.f?sc=14

and the header- http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....d.777/.f?sc=14

and these were the shocks i was talking about, they are pretty good i like em- http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.....1026/.f?sc=14
Old 02-16-2009, 05:00 PM
burnout420

Hello again after messing with the rc a little i think the receive may be bad. The wires fell off the on/off switch so i put the wires together and still now power.
Well i dont know im still new to this so any help would be nice.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2009, 08:23 PM
burnout420

Whats up again I found what was wrong and every thing is working now. Im just wonder what what other brands fit the tornado bb that would be available from a hobby shop. The shocks posted are out of stock guess ill just get whatever for now.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2009, 09:06 PM
r\c justin

i have also had the same problem with the on/off switch, i am in somerset pa which is in the southern part of the state..
Old 02-18-2009, 09:33 PM
burnout420

The person I bought from is giving me a new one so im happy. So far the car has been great i have used up about a gallon so far. I had a nasty wreck yesterday i didnt have the antenna up and my cuz and me were drag racing down a road and i lost the signal going full speed. The car hit something on the side of the road and it flipped down towards a little creek out of site. After i ran up to see it was like a 1/4 inch from falling off the little cliff into the water. The only thing that was messed up was the shock tower which i bent back. lol

I ordered i fail safe and some other upgrades, so i should be set to go

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:07 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

burnout....if your using AA batteries for the receiver make sure you wrap a rubberband or tape them with electical tape once you isntall them....if a battery comes loose while your running a failsafe wont help due to the failsafe runs off battery power....
Old 02-19-2009, 04:57 PM
burnout420

Yeah ive been using tape to hold the batteries. I was wonder what rechargeable battery and charger to buy.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:12 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest a 5 cell hump pack....around a 1400 to 1600 mah....you can buy em at any lhs and on ebay as well...sometimes you can get a pack and charger package if you know were to look...I would give you a link but its against rcu rules....which is what I do...just a cheap charger that takes a few hrs charge the pack but its a nice slow charge....
Old 02-19-2009, 08:30 PM
joeyhatch11

If you stick with the AA batteries, get some duracell rechargeables. They work well. I use a 7.4v 2s Lipo with a failsafe. I get about an hour and 1/2 of run time. But I use the Duracell rechargables in my transmitter.