Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Has anyone had to shim differentials?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Has anyone had to shim differentials?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 03:30 PM
vipvenom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had to shim differentials?

I just replaced my rear differential in my volcano sv and just want to make sure I don't wear down another gear. The old one was slipping for some reason (not from me the truck is 1month old). How many of you have had to shim your differential to make it fit a little tighter?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:18 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Has anyone had to shim differentials?

shiming diffs is part of the hobby...whenever I get a new rc I always tear them down and put fresh lube in the diffs and make sure everything is ok...after you run them awhile you will find yourself going back and shiming them up...ya need to remember these are put together by humans and humans make mistakes...not always is the diffs properly shimed...

alot of people confuse rtr as take it outta the box and run it....what it means is most things needed for it to run aposed to the kits are included...you still need to inspect stuff and make adjustments and look for something the people putting them together missed
Old 03-15-2009, 01:13 AM
el_tonto

I've had to shim a volcano rear diff - it started clicking under acceleration as it slipped. Fortunately didn't bust any teeth.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:35 AM
vipvenom

Thank you for the responses. I had no idea about shimming differentials until my buddy who races real cars told me they shim differential all the time. So I did some research and didn't find much. So I guess I will be breaking it down and shimming before I wear down my gear teeth.

Where do you get the shims from and how much to shim?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 AM
jpilkinton

This was taken from the Himoto forum. Look at "how to set the mesh your diff gears".

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8340591/tm.htm