Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

another gear gone

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:49 AM
spongeyguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another gear gone

Well I had my landslide back up and running again, but now its under the weather again. The day I put the new gear on, I ran through a tank of gas with no signs of wear to the new gear. A few days later I ran 3 tanks of gas through it in the morning and then had some stuff to do. Again there was no sign of wear to it. Then I went to run it again and ran one tank through it filled it up again and half way through that tank the gear stripped out again! I was driving it on a flat surface in the morning then on a hill that I was jumping it on in the afternoon so it was under more stress for sure but I thought I had gotten the gear set nicely. I am glad I bought 2 of them but now I want to make sure that it really is set right before I use it again. It is the gear on the outside of the gear box. I am not sure if that is one one called the spur gear or not. But I thought it was meshed fine with the engine's gear but I guess not. The first gear I stripped had a tooth missing and this one didn't. Any ideas? Should I set the gear a little looser from the engine's gear or tighter? Thanks
Old 03-23-2009, 03:09 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE: another gear gone

I would rather go a little tighter than a little looser. Because if its a little loose, you will just tear the top of the gear, off. But if its a little tight ive heard you can melt the gear. BUT ive never had a problem, ive actually had it a little too tight, it could of been a little looser but it was fine.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:55 PM
pede_187

Actually tihstae, you would want a slipper looser. A tighter slipper will strip the gear. When you have a loose slipper, the gear will spin around the slipper pads and therefore it takes less force to turn the gear.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:20 PM
chevyderek72

Oh ya i guess if you have a slipper, i forgot it had one. Ive never had one so i go on mesh. I dont get it super tight but i would just rather get a little tight than a liittle loose, cause the only problem ive had was ripping off the top of the teeth.

Hey pede you have a electric volcano right? I got a problem i was runnin it all stock, and i have a 6 cell 3800mah tenergy pack. My first motor would get pretty hot, if i ran two packs back to back it would start to smell, then i melted it. So i got another stock motor and it actually ran good at first. I would only run one pack at a time, first it got to 140 degrees, then just went up from there. It finally got to 200, then i let a buddy drive it for like 5 minutes or so and it got to 240 and melted the motor again. Do you know what my problem would be? Im debating on keeping this truck, and then upgrading to the brushless system. Or sell it and grab the buggy instead, i figured the smaller tires would put less strain on the motor and it wouldnt get as hot. Let me know. thanks man
Old 03-23-2009, 04:34 PM
pede_187

ORIGINAL: tihstae

Oh ya i guess if you have a slipper, i forgot it had one. Ive never had one so i go on mesh. I dont get it super tight but i would just rather get a little tight than a liittle loose, cause the only problem ive had was ripping off the top of the teeth.

Hey pede you have a electric volcano right? I got a problem i was runnin it all stock, and i have a 6 cell 3800mah tenergy pack. My first motor would get pretty hot, if i ran two packs back to back it would start to smell, then i melted it. So i got another stock motor and it actually ran good at first. I would only run one pack at a time, first it got to 140 degrees, then just went up from there. It finally got to 200, then i let a buddy drive it for like 5 minutes or so and it got to 240 and melted the motor again. Do you know what my problem would be? Im debating on keeping this truck, and then upgrading to the brushless system. Or sell it and grab the buggy instead, i figured the smaller tires would put less strain on the motor and it wouldnt get as hot. Let me know. thanks man
Smaller tires would help. I would go with [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDX67&P=ML]Proline Gladiators[/link] If you are looking at a brushless system, I'm about to get one of these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVWB9&P=ML . For that truck, I would probably get this motor though http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWLW9&P=ML . It is the same Kv as the Redcat brushless motor which seemed like a pretty good match with stock gearing.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:01 PM
chevyderek72

I actually just picked up a 15t pinion, so hopefully that will help. One main reason i was gonna go with the redcat one or similar is because they are cheap. There is one on ebay for like 78 shipped. Do you have the redcat brushless setup?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the landslides have a slipper clutch??....thats news to me