Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

volcano single gear upgrade transmission

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

volcano single gear upgrade transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:47 PM
richardtf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volcano single gear upgrade transmission

upgrading to single gear,can i still upgrade to 2 speed?

thanks...
Old 03-30-2009, 12:40 AM
chevyderek72

Default RE: volcano single gear upgrade transmission

Wait your upgrading to a direct drive? and you wanna upgrade to the 2 speed? I would advise against the 2 speed, not the best for off roading. If your only going to be driving on pavement (i hope not, that thing needs to get dirty haha) then you could.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:03 AM
richardtf

ORIGINAL: D Johnston

Wait your upgrading to a direct drive? and you wanna upgrade to the 2 speed? I would advise against the 2 speed, not the best for off roading. If your only going to be driving on pavement (i hope not, that thing needs to get dirty haha) then you could.
yah is it possible to have a direct drive and a 2 speed? i am upgrading my volcano to a super volcano !! LOL.... and i want to put a big block engine!! LOL....if your upgrading to a big block engine,do you have to buy the whole engine or just the block?

thanks
Old 03-30-2009, 01:18 PM
chevyderek72

Lol the whole engine, everything is bigger on it. Ok here's the deal with 2 speeds, say your runnin off road right, when you hit second gear, your torque drops, and if you start goin uphill you need all the torque you can get, and if you dont have the torque you have to stop and get into first gear. But then say your goin up a huge hill, and your in first, and then you hit high enough rpms. and then shift into second, oh wait you might not have the torque to keep goin. But if you put a big block in, you will probably be able to pull in second, i would think. But a single speed would still be better.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:40 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ya, but if he's putting a big block engine in it, than that?o longer applies he'll have all the poswer he needs. it only applies the small block engines, that transmission and clutch bell for the two speed in the tsunami is geared wrong. that's why it looses speed when it shifts into second gear.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:45 PM
chevyderek72

Ya but i woudl still rather have a single speed, no shifting, and if you gear it for top speed it will still have the torque to pull at low rpms
Old 03-30-2009, 03:16 PM
el_tonto

The two-speed from the Tornado and the Tsunami really only belongs on the on-road car. The one-way bearing is too weak for off-road driving, especially with larger wheels. I don't know about the Volcano T2 transmission, I understand it's an all-new 2-speed design but I don't know if it's available as parts.

There are a few people who have done big-block conversions to the Volcano.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:30 PM
perhamrocks

stick with the direct drive, cause the only way the 2 speed will be better is if u get a big block, and if u want to spend that kind of money on an engine and all the mods u'll have to do to keep the drivetrain in-tacked u might as well just go buy urself a 1/8 with a big block, which will be more durable then the 1/10 truck. It's not that the 1/10 isn't durable, it's just that once u throw that big block their is SO MUCH power running through that little thing.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:24 PM
richardtf

Lol the whole engine, everything is bigger on it. Ok here's the deal with 2 speeds, say your runnin off road right, when you hit second gear, your torque drops, and if you start goin uphill you need all the torque you can get, and if you dont have the torque you have to stop and get into first gear. But then say your goin up a huge hill, and your in first, and then you hit high enough rpms. and then shift into second, oh wait you might not have the torque to keep goin. But if you put a big block in, you will probably be able to pull in second, i would think. But a single speed would still be better.

yah your right LOL!!,i guess iam not gonna spend on 2 speed :-) how about the upgrade on direct drive,allaboutfunhobbies is selling it,what will gained from it? i change my mind on upgrading to big block engine it needs a lot of modifications hehehe...
Old 03-30-2009, 09:35 PM
richardtf

ORIGINAL: perhamrocks

stick with the direct drive, cause the only way the 2 speed will be better is if u get a big block, and if u want to spend that kind of money on an engine and all the mods u'll have to do to keep the drivetrain in-tacked u might as well just go buy urself a 1/8 with a big block, which will be more durable then the 1/10 truck. It's not that the 1/10 isn't durable, it's just that once u throw that big block their is SO MUCH power running through that little thing.

thanks.. :-)
Old 03-30-2009, 09:52 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: richardtf

yah your right LOL!!,i guess iam not gonna spend on 2 speed :-) how about the upgrade on direct drive,allaboutfunhobbies is selling it,what will gained from it? i change my mind on upgrading to big block engine it needs a lot of modifications hehehe...
It pretty much does the obvious and gets rid of the over engineered volcano trans]. It give a bit more bottom end torque I think. It's realy an over all good upgrade less gears to wear out easier setup on the mesh. Easier to do clutch bell gear changes to change your gearing. Ya realy can't go wrong with it.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:57 PM
richardtf

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: richardtf

It pretty much does the obvious and gets rid of the over engineered volcano trans]. It give a bit more bottom end torque I think. It's realy an over all good upgrade less gears to wear out easier setup on the mesh. Easier to do clutch bell gear changes to change your gearing. Ya realy can't go wrong with it.

okay thanks.. i'll order next week :-)
Old 03-31-2009, 01:29 AM
chevyderek72

Ya i really liked it, gave it better top and bottom end, awesome upgrade.