Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"BREAKING IN"

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:29 AM
Smbl7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "BREAKING IN"

Bought my volcano got it yesterday, was so excited, and now im super frustrated, I cant get the thing to Run for more than a min after adjusting needles watching videos reading the manual nothing.....GRRRR sooooo mad! Anyone have any advice or know of a RedCat dealer in NOVA that can break it in for me ?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:37 AM
perhamrocks

Default RE: "BREAKING IN"

it shouldn't run for more then a minute, otherwise ur probably to lean. u should have to tap the throttle every once in a while to clear up the unused fuel in the engine. I think ur needles are set close if it runs for 30 sec. then dies. Make sure to buy urself a temp. guage cause it's a huge help in tuning ur engine, you want it to be runnin at atleast 200 during break in, but not more then 260. U should really only reach 260 tho when ur goin full throttle, when the engine is working the hardest and at its hottest temp.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Smbl7

just spent another hour with it....can get it running but tires are spinning like crazyadjust the idle and nothing happens
Old 03-31-2009, 11:08 AM
RCToysNh

Check the trim control on your radio.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Encountr

a couple of things to look for:

remove your air filter, power on your TX and RX. look at your idle openning (in the carb). when you dont touch the throttle, idle openning should be 1mm (approx) If its not at 1mm, then, set your throttle trim on your TX at neutral ''0'', and adjust your linkage accordingnly to lslack it off a bit. then, unscrew the idle screw till the openning is at 1mm. from there, be sure when your off throttle, you have a small slack on you linkage. Idle adjustment should ALWAYS be done with the idle screw, not the trim setting

Assuming your idle is now set at default factory setting (1mm openning with a play in your linkage), put your LSN and HSN at factory (look in your manual).

Start your engine and continue break-in according to manual process. You do need to blimp on the throttle every now and then to empty the combustion chamber so the engine does not stall. It should not be able to idle for much longer then 20-30 sec. (even 20sec i think is quite l;ong at factory setting)

Once breakin is completed, then, set your HSN so the engine rev hi and smooth, turn the HSN back in about 1/8 of a turn and then, work on your LSN. You should get of the line with no bog or hesitation. Then, if you have idle issue, adjust it with THE IDLE SCREW NOT THE TRIM.

you should be up and running fine after that with just minor adjustment from now on.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:14 PM
Smbl7

yeah still no luck, worked on it all day im taking it to a local hobby shop to ask questions...hopefully they can help and not charge me an arm and a leg
Old 03-31-2009, 01:54 PM
robriley

the manual that i got does not state the "factory settings" for the hsn or lsn. to me, the manual was helpless when it came to setting the carb to make mine run. luckily i got all of the info to set the carb up that i needed from this site. after adjusting the carb to "factory" settings, it fired right up and ran good enough for me to do the break in.
when i first tried to start it, it would do the same thing as yours...run for about 30 seconds and die. it was running way too rich, and was loading the cylinder with too much fuel.
screw your lsn all the way in lightly until you just feel it bottom out. then, back it out 2.5 - 3 turns. (the longscrew on the backside of the carb...right where the fuel line goes in) turn your hsn until it is flush with the edge of the collar. (the one that is on the carb where the linkage hooks up) set your idle as described above, and this will get you in the ballpark and the engine shoud run. remember the engine will start to idle high without touching the idle screw if you lean it out. it takes time to tune these engines when new, but it gets easy .
this is my first nitro and i just got mine running and broke in 2 weeks ago.
i know exactly what you are dealing with.