Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano Trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Dashiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano Trans

Can the Volcano t2 trans go in the Volcano pro? If so what parts are necessary?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:18 PM
perhamrocks

Default RE: Volcano Trans

yes you can but you may want to consider the direct drive also. The direct drive will give you much better low end power, and a minor increase in top end. The t2 trans will only give you more top end and a loss in low end, so if you like driving fairly straight and fast, go with the t2 trans, if you like offroading more and low end power go with the direct drive.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:02 AM
AwdDude

I Just got a T2 and the tranny just went out, i opened it up and it looks like the one way bearing busted and is now a 2way bearing, is this a common thing? im new to this but whats the "direct drive". is it stronger than the t2 tranny? also is there another stronger tranny that could be modified to fit the volcano, like a T-Maxx tranny? my volcano tranny went out after only 2 days and i dont want to have to replace bearings all the time.

sorry this is slightly off topic
Old 04-05-2009, 03:17 AM
chevyderek72

The direct drive spur gear is held by a pin, so its not goin anywhere. I have one and i love it, works great, and got better bottom and top end outa it.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:30 AM
AwdDude

ORIGINAL: chevyderek72

The direct drive spur gear is held by a pin, so its not goin anywhere. I have one and i love it, works great, and got better bottom and top end outa it.

i dont under stand do you mean it doesnt have the slipping mechanism on the spur gear?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:25 AM
AwdDude

so are there any other stronger/better tranny's that will work for the Volcano? perhaps one that doesnt rely on a OWB to transfer power to the wheels?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:07 PM
chevyderek72

Yes the direct drive. Ok basically the clutch bell touches one gear, and that is on the shaft the turns the drivetrain. And that spur gear is held in place by a pin, so it wont move.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 PM
perhamrocks

like chevy said the spur gear is directly on the drive shaft, it'll give you better low end then the t2 tranny as long as you get the 13 tooth clutchbell in the package deal, but it wont have better top end then the t2, it's very durable, no maintenance(unless if you strip a spur gear, which i've only stripped one since i got with heavy bashing and jumping)
Old 04-05-2009, 11:25 PM
chevyderek72

Oh ya it wont have better top end, but i bet it would be close in top end. if not better
Old 04-06-2009, 01:28 PM
AwdDude

i dont get it. how can a single speed transmission have better low end and top end than a 2 speed transmission?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:59 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

it has better bottom, not top end. I would gather to think that it's not far off from the top end on the t-2 transmission.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:28 PM
chevyderek72

Well say your off roading and it kicks into second, if it doesnt have enough power to keep the rpms up it will start slowing down, thus having a slower top speed, or if your going uphill too. The 2 speeds are just a pain for off road.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:46 PM
AwdDude

well after much deliberation i managed to rig my volcano to work, but only in high gear. which sucks for hill climbing or off roading in general. since i dont want to deal with blowout OWB all the time i broke down and ordered the directdrive tranny kit, which includes the tranny and the clutch bell, from AllAboutFunHobbies' website.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:13 PM
AwdDude

quick update, i got the new tranny in and installed it, which was a slight pain since i had to drill new holes for it. also i had to switch the center drive shafts, the rear one went to the front and the front one went to the rear. so i finaly got it installed and started it up and now it goes backwards. soo keep in mind if your going from a 2 speed tranny to a single spur gear tranny. you have to flip the front and rear differentials. no bigge but it took me a few hours to figure out it was that simple.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:13 PM
chevyderek72

The single and 2 speed trannies are exactly the same housing, its just a different shaft with one gear on it. So its a direct drop in. You shouldnt have had to do anything to it.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:51 PM
AwdDude

well ok there is a single speed that would just bolt in but its the one with a slipper clutch and not the direct drive one that i have. basically my tranny is only a spur gear. but the T2 comes with a 2 speed where the power goes through 2 gears, one where the slipper clutch is mounted and the one on the main drive shaft. the extra gear reverses the direction of the gears. so thats why i had to flip the diffs to make it go forward.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:30 PM
chevyderek72

Oh i see i thought i was just the direct drive single speed redcat tranny.