Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

direct drive and driveshafts

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:37 AM
robriley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default direct drive and driveshafts

i am going to get the direct drive for my volcano.
but, will the direct drive work with the upgraded driveshafts ?
i got the upgraded ones in the hop up kit but i have not installed them yet.
i want to install them when i put the direct drive set up on it, and i am just wondering if you have to use the stock dogbone driveshafts, or can i go ahead and use the upgraded shafts that are pinned ?
the ends look the same, so i see no reason why they won't work..but i just thought i'd ask.
Thanks.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:04 PM
7M

Default RE: direct drive and driveshafts

By upgraded driveshafts do you mean the ones in the control are or the center shafts? If they're in the centre, they should not interfere with the direct drive since it works in place of the stock transmission. The outputs should all be the same.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:29 PM
robriley

yes i mean the shafts that go from the trans. to the differentials. i got upgraded ones and they are pinned at one end rather than being dog bone style at both ends. (the ends that go to the diffs. are dogbone style, the ends that go to the trans are pinned to the connectors that go into the trans.)
these shafts came in the hop up kit for the volcano.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:35 PM
richardtf

ORIGINAL: robriley

yes i mean the shafts that go from the trans. to the differentials. i got upgraded ones and they are pinned at one end rather than being dog bone style at both ends. (the ends that go to the diffs. are dogbone style, the ends that go to the trans are pinned to the connectors that go into the trans.)
these shafts came in the hop up kit for the volcano.

god question man...i am planning to buy that direct drive shaft :-)
Old 04-10-2009, 06:31 AM
robriley

i have not bought the direct drive yet, but i am just wondering if the upgraded driveshafts will work with it.
I don't see why they wouldn't tho because they are replacements for the stock dog-bone style shafts.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Doctp1885

I'm wanting to buy direct drive as well. Rufaster has two versions. Regular direct drive and XL direct drive. which one should I use for the volcano? and does anyone know the part number for the 13th clutchbell on Rufaster or allaboutfunhobbies?
Old 04-10-2009, 10:20 AM
robriley

i didn't know that there were 2 different versions of the direct drive.
what are the differences ?
now i'm not sure which one to get.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Doctp1885

From the pics, it looks like the XL has a larger spur gear. Everything else is identical. I'm not sure myself. trying to find an answer so I can get buy this today or over the weekend. Last upgrade will be the SH.18 engine. I'll wait till I burn my vx up though. Got it tuned and hate to do it all over again. lol.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:04 PM
chevyderek72

I thought that the cv driveshafts in the hop up kit were only to go from the diffs to the wheels. Cause the ones from the tranny to the diffs are different lengths. But maybe im mistaken. And there really shouldnt be two different direct drives. Cause it only comes out of one car (the beginner buggy). Unless they put different spurs in. The one from allaboutfunhobbies is good, thats what i woudl reccommend.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:59 PM
robriley

well, if the hop up shafts are to go from the wheels to the differential, there are only 2 in the kit, which would only cover the front or rear 2 axle shafts. you would need 2 more for the other 2 axle shafts.
the cv shafts that i got in the hop up kit are the same length as the center driveshafts from what i can tell.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:52 PM
chevyderek72

The shafts from the tranny to the diff are different lengths, and ive also heard that you only really need then on the front. The hurricane has em on the front stock.

If you look in the picture of it, one end has the regulard ball end, and the other end goes through the hub to the wheel. So im not even sure how you got them on going from the tranny to the diff.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:15 AM
robriley

i have not installed them yet.
i was just guessing that they were for the tranny, to diff shafts.
so what you are saying is that they are to replace the 2 front axle shafts that drive the wheels and not to replace the tranny to diff shafts right?
i did not measure any of the shafts, i was just guessing by looking at them.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:56 PM
chevyderek72

Yes they go from the diffs to the wheels.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Doctp1885

just ordered the direct drive kit with 13th clutch from allaboutfunhobbies. also ordered landslide bigbore shocks, performance air filter, and soon hitec 645 (311 just didnt cut it) servo and traxxas resonator pipe. Gonna try the resonator pipe out with the direct drive

Thanks all for the recommendations and feedbacks with your setup. been reading the forum and took notes on some great hop ups. Thanks again all.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:39 PM
robriley

ok, i just got done installing the cv style axles in the front in place of the dogbone axles.
i can see how these would make a difference because the dogbones COULD fall out when you turn the front wheels if the front end is set up right.
my dogbone front axles never fell out, but i can see the potential.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:08 AM
chevyderek72

Ya some people have problems with that, but personally ive never had a dog bone fall out, but like you said if its set up right they can fall out.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:05 AM
robriley

what i meant to say is that i can see how the stock dogbones could fall out if the front end is NOT set up right.
one other thing...
if anyone else is planning on installing these hop up front axle shafts, make sure you remove the grub set screws that hold the shafts to the pins, and loc-tite them in.
i checked the grub screws on my shafts before i installed them, and found that they did not have loc-tite on them. these screws will come loose and fall out if they are not loc-tited in.