Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano SV Direct Drive Help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:51 AM
NilSatis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Volcano SV Direct Drive Help...

Update on my issue: I think it was actually the engine in part lol coupled with that gearbox. I took it out, (it seemed to have no compression left when hot:-think it had been "pinched" by a previous owner) and installed a direct drive gearbox. I also installed a new set of clutch shoes, the old ones looked fine but are that nasty plastic type, so had left a glaze everywhere that wouldnt have helped. I have added a new sh.18 and have been running it in; made an error though and started doing it with the stock clutch bell on and not the 13 tooth. I wondered if this 16 tooth bell would be enough to overheat the clutch or is this a problem in the clutch shoes. It did not do this before with the stock tranny on and i understand it is now overgeared with this tranny and the 16 tooth, but enough to heat the clutch bell enough to burn your fingers after a tank at a rich setting; and turn it blue? In my experience this is due to slipping normally, but the clutch is new and bell was cleaned etc with alcohol; which makes me think its the direct drive and 16 tooth bell? If it gets hotter it will melt the spur; i think....[:'(]

Any opinions from peeps who have run with stock clutch bell and direct drive? I have a 13 tooth on order.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:08 AM
NilSatis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Volcano SV Direct Drive Help...

Any ideas on whether it was just running it overgeared that would have done this? In any case i will let people know what i find out; just thought someone must have tried the direct drive with the stock 16 tooth. Would a loose clutch spring cause this to happen as the clutch i replaced had a slightly loose spring, i.e. you could pull the shoes apart by hand quite easily?

I have now stuck a brand new one in (same white plastic HSP replacement), but noticed the UK now are sellling upgraded clutch shoes for this, in either the same design or ones with 3 shoe type springs. I dont think running it would be a good idea until i get a 13 tooth bell but hoping someone can tell me it will be different; my problem was starting the breakin and doing 3-4 tanks with the 16 tooth bell. Dont think the engine will have liked that too much either?

Any opinions would be great?

Cheers

Pete