Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

acceleration problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:57 PM
buggybang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acceleration problem...

Hey guys... got another problem. So, after i got past the glowe plug problem... i got this new one here. now when i accelerate the engine like almost quits, then goes back on. its like right when it hits second gear..... and if i floor it it stops almost immediately.... and Idont think im running rich or lean........ cause ive played around with those needles ALL day, and i got no results whatsoever. my idle is perfect. I just cant be running rich or lean. It is also making the engine overheat way too easily... but i'm seeing smoke a lot when it goes fast tho. if there is some other problem here...... could someone tell me?
Old 05-02-2009, 10:51 PM
robriley

Default RE: acceleration problem...

well, this may sound funny, but if it is too rich it will do that.
tuning can be an all day project to get it to run right, and so it won't die when you hit the throttle.
when you turn the screws(turn them in for lean, out for rich) turn them a tiny bit at a time. think of the screw head as a clock, and turn them in one hour increments. a tiny turn can make a big difference.
usually when an engine is too rich, it will bog real bad, or die out because too much fuel. and engine will literally screm and have alot of power if it is too lean, but it won't last long running it that way.
remember that if the outside temp. changes from day to day, you will need to re-tune slightly once you get it running good.
it takes time and patience especially in the beginning and it can be frustrating to get it to run right.
i found that when my engine would do what yours is doing, the hsn (the one on the side of the carb by the linkage) was set too rich.
i really think that your problem is in the carb settings.
it literally took me a quart of fuel to get mine to run without dying. tuning is time consuming and frustrating sometimes.
don't give up on it, and just keep trying.
the other thing to check is your fuel line. make sure that it isn't rubbing on the spur gear, and make sure that it isn;t kinked. if the fuel line has a tiny hole in it, it will do the same thing that you are describing. i'm not sure how your fuel line is running or mounted, but the volcanos fuel line runs very close to the spur gear and i know that alot of people have had the fuel line get into the spur gear which will rub a hole in it.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:11 AM
chevyderek72

If its not at high rpm its probably rich, if your at full rpm its lean. When your at full speed and it cuts out, the motor doesnt have enough fuel.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:14 AM
buggybang

I think i messed with the low speed needle. that did it?
Old 05-03-2009, 11:37 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: buggybang

Hey guys... got another problem. So, after i got past the glowe plug problem... i got this new one here. now when i accelerate the engine like almost quits, then goes back on. its like right when it hits second gear..... and if i floor it it stops almost immediately.... and Idont think im running rich or lean........ cause ive played around with those needles ALL day, and i got no results whatsoever. my idle is perfect. I just cant be running rich or lean. It is also making the engine overheat way too easily... but i'm seeing smoke a lot when it goes fast tho. if there is some other problem here...... could someone tell me?
You have a bad tune. Your running more than likely too lean.
You need to reset the needle back to factory settings. 2.5 to 3 turns out from seet on the high speed needle, flush with the collar on the low speed and a 1mm gap on the idle.
Then you need to tune the Idle needle first, get the endinge warmed up, by starting it and holding your finger on the trigger alittle bit to let more air in the intake, so it will start. get it so it stays idling. Once you get it to stay idleling you want to work on the high speed needle. Make a highspeed pass and see how it runs, lean it out alittle then do it again. What your looking for is the point that the engine starts to cut out or act like it's stalling when you have the throttle WOT(Wide Open Throttle) once you hit that point you want to back the needle out an 1/8th turn and you should be good. Remember that these engines are NOT designed to do WOT constantly, they are designed around the basis that you are on and off the throttle like as if you were driving on a track, so if your doing constant WOT all the time the engine will run hot and cut out eventually no matter how you tune it. Now you want to work on the idle nd it shouldn't need more than a 1/16th to an 1/8th turn in to get it set right. You want it to take off immediatly when you hit the throttle, not a delay of a second or so while it blows out the fuel. Once you get it dialed in it shouldn't be a matter of changing the Highspeed needle from one way or another no more than an 1/8th of a turn to get it tned on any given day. If you're constantly screwing around with the needles then your not tuned properly. Remember this takes practice. I can tune a 6 barrel carb, but it took me awhile to get the hang of it, I kept trying to tune these carbs like you would a car. You want the idle to be set so the car is idle what sems kind of fast, to where the car is wiggling like it wants to take off but it's just not takeing off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57328.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1191214  
Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 AM
buggybang

does flush mezan like line up with? like the low speed screw should be equal the height out as the collar?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 AM
robriley

yes, the head of the screw should not extend past or be further in than the collar.
flush means equal to.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:16 PM
buggybang

awwww yeah. thanks sooo much guys... its running like flawless now... i ran it down a ditch i have in my yard... and up the incline of my driveway.. and got like 5 feet of air and almost cleard my driveway width. yeah running great now