Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Vortex EPX PRO review?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:15 AM
bluebirdrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortex EPX PRO review?

Can any one post their experience with the Vortex EPX PRO?
I want to order this truck but have not heard from any one who has actual had one.
I have a Slash and this looks to be a Slash on steroids.
Thanks
Old 05-07-2009, 01:53 AM
chevyderek72

Default RE: Vortex EPX PRO review?

Im not sure about the vortex and how it handles and looks when driving, but its a great truck. Im thinking of converting my redcat electric truck to it.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I have seen it's considerably smaller than the Slash. At first I though they used the same body but I saw one sitting next to a Slash and it's a lot smaller. I do like the fact that it's 4WD.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:17 AM
bluebirdrc

What about the Buggies of the same scale?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:21 PM
roadmutt

Hello, I just got my Vortex and it is GREAT!. It comes with everything you need to get started except transmitter battieries. With the 2000mah battery it moves out fast. Its way faster then my Brushless Slash with the same battery. The Vortex comes with a Deans connector and seeing as everthing I havehas theTraxxes high current connector I swaped it out. So far no real problems (loose hardware). Ther only thing is the owners manual is very spartan and vague. I have odered another one. For the price it is worth getting one.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:30 PM
WarbirdLover

What are the actual dimensions of this truck? I can't seem to find the real specs for it anywhere. It's supposed to be 1/10 scale like the Slash but itsounds like it'ssmaller than that.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:52 PM
roadmutt

It is definetly not the same scale as the Slash. The Vortex is about 4 inches shorter then the Slash and a few inches less in width. This thing is a rocket with a 11.1v lipo. Like the Slash, it wants to fly (as in leave the ground) at speeds over 45 mph. The Vortex does not have a low voltage cut off esc. So far nothing has broken on it.  If I could figure out how to upload pictures you would see them both side by side. I have used radar to measure speed on my Slash and the best speed was 48 mph before take off. It still has lots of throttle left. The Vortex's speed is similer. For the 176.00 I paid for it was well worth it compared to my Slash with the VXL.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:00 PM
roadmutt

Ok figured out the picture thing. Click My Models next to star at bottom of post.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:28 PM
WarbirdLover

Nice! Thank you for posting these pictures. It doesn't seem to be "too" small.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:50 PM
MIGMaster

Sorta looks like 1/12 scale ....
Old 06-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Jamus

Any new news on these? They seem like a great deal, think I'll pick one up. Any info on the slight differences between it and other redcat 1/10 vehicles? Bumpers of course, but the front knuckle design seems different too. Also, do these have steel diff gears?
Old 06-18-2009, 02:57 PM
chevyderek72

Yes they are steel diff gears
Old 06-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Jamus

Good deal, they should hold up very well with the smaller short course style wheels, as opposed to the MT. Also I was wrong about the front knuckles being different, was looking at the nitro version, which is obviously different.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Squidbait

I just got my Vortex, and I'm really happy with it.  It scoots on the stock battery - with a fresh charge I can pull donuts on pavement and gravel easily.  The suspension seems to have lots of flex, and handles jumps (the few I've tried) with ease.  It's taken a bit of a beating so far, running off the neighbours skateboard ramps, and jumping curbs - no damage yet so I guess I'm not trying hard enough.

Tonight I put a 20C 3s lipo in just to see what it would do.... WOW!  Lights up the tires on pavement from launch, and just takes off!  Unbelievably quick... I'll have to try it in the dirt after I get a lipo-safe.

The only gripe I have so far is that when running on gravel, I'd sometimes get a piece of gravel stuck in the steering arm below the servo saver, and it would lock the steering full left.  An easy fix, but I'm going to have to put some foam or something in there to keep it out.                                                                                                                                      
Old 06-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Jamus

Ordered mine this morning. I think I'll be very pleased with it.