Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Hurricane XTR Owners?

Old 06-26-2009, 10:08 AM
LuD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurricane XTR Owners?

Hey guys!

I have been enjoying my Tornado BB's for a while now, and I'm ready to scale up to a 1:8. The Hurricane seems to be the best of the best from Redcat right now, regardless of the new brushless models coming out soon.

I am trying to decide if this is a good buy for $275 or not, and if it can take a good beating. I am currently undecided between spending the money on a Jato 3.3, RC10GT, or this model.

I would just like to know your personal experiences with this buggy, and if it's going to be more durable and fun to use than the Tornado. I'm not a pro, but I will go to the track for some fun, and find areas to use it in!

How does it compare to the Backdraft 3.5? 1 speed vs. 2 speed tranny? Ugh... So many choices!

Help me out!
Old 06-26-2009, 11:27 AM
jigawatt

Default RE: Hurricane XTR Owners?

The hurricane XTR is more of a track oriented buggy compared to the backdraft.

Throw some proline tires on, dial in your suspension for the track and have at it. They are fairly good performers out of the box, but they just need the right things to get it to hook up, tires being the key of course! For $275, thats one heck of a deal.

My truggy is slightly different from what I saw in the pics of the Monsoon XTR, but they are good rigs.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:38 PM
LuD

Awesome.

I will need to see what the .21 Aftershock is going to offer before I make my choice I guess... I wish the bodies had clear windows on them like the older models... Small little thing, but it makes a difference for me!

Thanks for the comment. I just need something that will take a little bit of abuse, but be easy to start and maintain. I have a Redcat drill start, and hope I can get the attachments for these different size motors if that's possible. I never want to use a pullstart again!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 PM
jigawatt

the bigger rigs can take the extra abuse, but that all depends on what you consider abuse i guess
Old 06-26-2009, 12:54 PM
LuD

I just want better suspension for rough terrain and jumps. Compared to the Tornado BB for example... The thing is so close to the ground, it can barely make it through grass! I know the XTR is a little bit higher, but I own two XTM X-Cellerator's, (1 nitro and 1 electric), and they are simply beautiful in design. (Rip-off of the T3-T4 I suppose). The suspension is just god like, and they can seem to take anything I throw at them.

I just haven't ever seen a 1:8 Redcat in person, and it's hard to see what it's like to control one with just watching YouTube videos... That's why I was wondering if anybody here even owned a Hurricane. They seem to be less popular, but perhaps that's because their price is comparable to some used RC10GT's and other o/r nitro vehicles... So many to choose from now-a-days!
Old 06-26-2009, 01:02 PM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: LuD

I have a Redcat drill start, and hope I can get the attachments for these different size motors if that's possible. I never want to use a pullstart again!
Yes, You can buy just the backing plate so you can use the drill start on the Hurricane as well.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:13 PM
jigawatt

4wd is a lot easier to move around the track, you'll have noticeably better control compared to the XTM's you have. You'll also have more tuning options.

what it really boils down to is, what do YOU want to do with your next purchase? If you ARE considering racing, or at least some at a track, the XTR is a good deal for 279.99. I can only assume redcat will have hopups for it, as they have for other vehicles in the past... meaning you can upgrade to cnc shock towers, carbon fiber suspension brace and "servo" brace (redcat has it listed as a rudder plate lol), big bore shocks... you can do quite a bit to get this thing to be one dialed in club racing machine.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:47 PM
LuD

I saw some parts on eBay for it, but I saw a thread where a Redcat employee said there wasn't any hop-up parts available at the moment... I mean, the hop-up parts I put on my Tornado are nice and all, but I paid more than $300 for this little micro 1:10 buggy! I mean, UGH. I love it, but I need bigger and better. Something that won't get stuck in short grass.

I love doing the nitro, but I don't know if I should hold out for the 1:8 brushless coming out. I think it's a beautiful buggy, but I'm not wanting to deal with the batteries, chargers, and all that. Tuning and nitro is cake.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:55 PM
chevyderek72

I have the lastversion of the xtr, its just a different type of suspension, but basically the same thing. I love it, runs great in grass, and rough terrain. One place i bash its all dirt with big rocks. Not huge but big compared to the buggy. It will either go over the rocks or around them haha. I would be turning around and i would go over one and catch air and do a 180. Only thing ive broke so far was a mud gaurd, but it was just from hitting those rocks.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:41 PM
LuD

That sounds great! I think I'll just get an XTR now, and perhaps a brushless buggy when they come out next month or so...

I just went out and ran my XTM X-Cellerator nitro at the same spot I do my Tornado's, and it amazed me. The thing just flew across terrain that my Tornado had major issues with. I absolutely love this thing, and that's why I wanted to get a Team Associate vehicle like the RC10GT.

Do you have any pics or videos of your XTR?
Old 06-27-2009, 01:38 AM
chevyderek72

I can grab some pics tomorrow, but the 1/10ths have such crappy shocks, that any terrain kills it. I put the big bores from the ultralites on my electric volcano and its a world of difference. That would probably be my first upgrade if i did it again. Sure more power is great but if you cant put it to the ground its worthless.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:13 AM
BigDave09

(LUD) If you want something big and bad go get exceeds proto 1/5 scale monster truck it's big and bad believe me and man does it take some sh** from me
Old 06-27-2009, 05:32 AM
LuD

Haha! Naaaah, monster trucks are out of the question... Hell, I couldn't even fit a 1/5 in my CAR! I'm a sucker for stadium trucks and buggies. I won't venture far from them...

Derek, (if that's your REAL NAME!), if you can get some pics that would be great. It's hard to find anything but the pics on Redcat's website. But it would probably help my decision on what to do!

Thanks for your imput!
Old 06-27-2009, 04:20 PM
chevyderek72

Lol naw im undercover, no but its my real name haha. Ya ill try to get some pics tonight or tomorrow. Buddy came back from afganistan on leave and i had ot pick him up from the airport this mornin, now i gotta work. So ill get em up asap.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lud....I have himoto version of both the hurricane and the hurricane xtr...I've had my rxb (pretty much the same buggy as the xtr) for about a yr...when I recieved this buggy and pulled it out of the box it was like I was pulling a much more expensive buggy out...the xtr is by far a better buggy then the original hurricane, it handles better and can take more abuse..I have yet to break a single part on mine and its been 12+ feet in the air numorous times landing on flat hard ground
as far as upgrades go they are available...my buggy currently sports billet aluim front and rear shock towers, Ive removed every dogbone in favor of cv shafts, and am thinking about a billet aluim ackerman plate and tower supports...there are also carbon fiber upgrades as well as many other billet aluim upgrades for these buggies...
for the most part I think you would be hard pressed to find a better buggy on the market in the same price range...this is why I congradulated Darin for offering this buggy..for those that say its just a hurricane with minor changes, run one and you will see what I'm talking about..

my suggestion for you if your wanting a 1/8th scale redcat buggy...huricane xtr...prolly THE BEST rc that redcat offers..
Old 06-30-2009, 10:17 PM
lvh

I have the xtr this thing rocks and is fast roasted the tires bald in about 3 weeks my brother has the ofna violator and he can not keep up paid 450.00 for it the xtr is the way to go just about a gallon in it and broke nothing looks old but it's new i am a basher and it's holdin up great!!
Old 07-01-2009, 07:46 AM
LuD

Good! I just bought it yesterday, and should have it very soon. I got it for $274, and couldn't decide between a truggy, or stadium truck. But I'm a buggy lover!

Do you guys still use the stock radio and receiver? I'm wondering if I should spend the money on a Airtronics, or just leave it the way it is...

What is the best way to go about buying new tires and wheels for these and the Tornado's? I roasted my rears on my Tornado already, but I don't want these chrome wheels. I was wondering if it was still possible to buy the colored plastic wheels that came on the older models...
Old 07-01-2009, 10:50 AM
jigawatt

There should be sales right now since it is the 4th of july: http://www.hobbypeople.net/prdcls/radcnp01.asp
Old 07-01-2009, 03:17 PM
chevyderek72

Ive alwyas used all the stock electronics with all my cars, and they've been all redat or exceeds. Never had one problem. I would get a failsafe and call it good, but thats me. Check out ebay, suprasales sells 1/8th buggy wheels and tires, i think like 15 bucks a set (4). I got the crimefighter clones for the track, and badland clones for bashing. They work awesome. I think it was like 45 shipped for both sets
Old 07-02-2009, 05:33 PM
firebird78

I'm not a big fan of stock radios...I'm also not a fan of 2.4ghz radios...the radio system I have on all my rc's is the jr xs3....had no problems with it and can change frequinces in a heart beat...

+1 for suprasales on ebay...if your not buying bashing tires/wheels from him your most likely paying to much...
Old 07-04-2009, 06:03 PM
LuD

While I'm waiting anxiously for it to arrive, I can't help but notice how different this XTR is than the Backdraft 3.5... Everybody is saying how great the Backdraft 3.5 is for bashing and reliability, but should the XTR be the same or better?

The shocks seem better on the BD3.5, or is it just me?... Ugh, just hoping I didn't make a bad decision when going for the XTR...

Can't wait to get this thing!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:12 PM
firebird78

the backdraft 3.5 WILL NOT compare to the hurricane xtr.. out of the box I promise you the xtr is a much better buggy in every way... it will not only be more durable it will also be faster out of the box...trust me...you bought the better buggy...if anyone wants to disagree with me get a video up and prove me wrong.

I am a huge fan of this buggy... the only thing is I'm not sure on the out of the box differences compared to my himoto rxb-1 ....I do know the engine is different...the redcat has the sh.28 p3 on it, himoto has a .21 (for racing purposes I like the .21... makes it seem like its more of a racer...just my opinion though).....Ali stated to me that the redcat does not come with a fuel filter, true its an easy add on but I like the fact my rxb came with one....I do not know if the xtr has hex head screws throughout the buggy like my rxb does...I know it may not seem to be a big deal but I feel better working with hex heads, not a big fan of phillips head screws....I will say the coming with a fuel filter and hex head screws to me shoes attention to detail....another place were there could be a difference is the stock tires...my buggy came with a tire WAY more suited for racing then for bashing...if the redcat offering is the same I would suggest purchasing a spare set of good bashing tires...cause I promise you the stock ones wont last long bashing on hard surfaces...

if anyone has a redcat hurricane xtr I would like to know what hardware redcat has them put together with and the tires (there may be a name on them)....
Old 07-05-2009, 08:21 AM
R-U-FASTER

Yes the Hurricane XTR model does come with hex head hardware.
I dont have a name or specs on the tires but I can tell you these tires are a soft compound and will really grab the track.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 PM
LuD

I am absolutely ASTONISHED by the quality of this Hurricane!

I received it today, (wasn't here to get it yesterday! Doh!), and was completely blown away when I took it out of the box! The thing is 100% quality all the way around, and even looks a million times better than the photos on Redcat's website! The body has clear windows, neon green with silver zig zags leading to a red in the back. 100 times better than what they had pictured for sure! I am SUPER happy with the body!

Taking the shell off revealed a unbelievable amount of detail... It's just too hard to explain, and I am going to take pictures tomorrow and have them posted for you guys... I can't believe this monster costs so LITTLE!

I will hopefully have it broken in sometime later this week, and I'll definately take many pics and videos... Seems Youtube needs some Hurricane videos!

Good job Redcat! I might buy ANOTHER!
Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 PM
firebird78

glad ya got your buggy....I was the same way when I pulled my rxb-1 out the box...I swear by this buggy because its quality...if you find a weak spot in the buggy your beatin the tar outta it...seriously in almost a yr of owning my rxb I havent broke ANYTHING except stripping some planetary gears in the rear, but that was my fault.. and I dont just putt around doing donuts, I launch my buggy...the more I abuse it the more it asks for...

I got a video on youtube running my buggy bone stock...search rxb-1 or firebird78transam....I'd post it here but its not a redcat....the video is july august contest

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.