Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

This is my re-painted volcano sv

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:31 AM
King.Cong.1119

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is my re-painted volcano sv

Here is a video of my repainted volcano sv and the light kits on the body shell.
Due to some reason (which idk why) i couldnt get the engine started and if it starts (which is almost impossible as of now) it will just stall in 2 seconds.
I think its probably due to my poor tuning and priming skills, but maybe the engine, so please help.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdeyRo5VBLk[/youtube]
Old 06-28-2009, 01:44 AM
chevyderek72

Default RE: This is my re-painted volcano sv

Nice, where did you get the lights and how did you do it?
Old 06-28-2009, 01:48 AM
King.Cong.1119

I got the lights from ebay.
Basically i drilled two holes in the front and 4 holes on the back to fit the led lights, the front ones are 10mm in diameter, and the back ones are 5mm.
And the wires were mounted on the inside of the shell with a 9V battery.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:09 AM
AliRedCatRacing

Hi there

goto my channel. www.youtube.com/alishanmao and search the video "Understanding carb and tuning the engine" I did this video using Volcano SV. You can learn stuff n tune the volcano. I am sure it will start. this is one best truck my man

Also watch

why engine revs right after starting
why engine quits when braking

These videos have helped many who had engine starting issues

Cheers

Ali
China Operations Manager
RedCat Racing USA
Old 06-28-2009, 07:54 AM
King.Cong.1119

ORIGINAL: AliRedCatRacing

Hi there

goto my channel. www.youtube.com/alishanmao and search the video "Understanding carb and tuning the engine" I did this video using Volcano SV. You can learn stuff n tune the volcano. I am sure it will start. this is one best truck my man

Also watch

why engine revs right after starting
why engine quits when braking

These videos have helped many who had engine starting issues

Cheers

Ali
China Operations Manager
RedCat Racing USA
Thanks Ali, i appreciate your help. Will go and watch it.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:54 PM
King.Cong.1119

today when i was trying to tune the engine, it appeared that the engine works when the glow plug igniter is on the engine glow plug, whenever i unplug it, it will stall right away. Please help.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:01 PM
neyou86
My Feedback: (2)

pull out ur glow plug and stick it in the igniter and see if it glows. if it doesnt or barely glows replace it with an os a3 or mccoy 59
Old 06-28-2009, 04:09 PM
King.Cong.1119

it glows very very bright and i can feel the heat, the problem is it starts the engine pretty good, but i dont know how to keep the engine on without having the ignitor on it.
and should i use the hot, medium or cold glow plugs? what do they mean by different temps.?
Old 06-28-2009, 04:15 PM
neyou86

use hot with 20% fuel and medium with 30% im not quite sure what to use for cold ones. the temps mean that if they are hot they will burn faster and if they are cold they will burn slower. try reving the motor a little bit to warm it up a bit then take the igniter off.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:41 PM
King.Cong.1119

um, i did warm up the engine, and it was literally hot instead of warm, and the engine still need to have the ignitor on in order to work, as soon as i unplug the ignitor, the engine stalls.
Maybe i need the ignitor on the engine longer than 5 minutes? but the engine was already pretty warm or hot.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:29 PM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

well, since you said that. it sounds like a simple case of your glow plug being bad. put a glow plug in it. it will most likly be just fine after that
Old 06-28-2009, 05:33 PM
UrcHobby

ORIGINAL: King.Cong.1119

um, i did warm up the engine, and it was literally hot instead of warm, and the engine still need to have the ignitor on in order to work, as soon as i unplug the ignitor, the engine stalls.
Maybe i need the ignitor on the engine longer than 5 minutes? but the engine was already pretty warm or hot.
You should only need the glow starter on for mabe 10-15 seconds after you start the truck. If it is getting really hot at idle and does not want to run when you take the ignitor off it means you low speed needle is lean. Some people say the set the low speed needle flush, I have always found with the vx.16-vx.18 (turn the low speed needle in gently till it stops then turn it back out 1-1/2 turns. That is base line that will get it going and driving. While you are at it you might as well set the high speed needle to 2-1/2 turns out as well It will run and you can tune it from there. If it still gives you a problem there could be an air leak ie: loose head bolts, backing plate loose, Fuel line with pin hole(note on volcano sv the fuel line hits the spur gear some times and causes a leak there that it will draw air from) Hope this helps
Old 06-28-2009, 05:53 PM
King.Cong.1119

Yeah, i think it is the tuning got messed up. And i am trying to get it reset to baseline or default settings, by 2-1/2turns, you mean one turn as 360 degrees or 180 degrees?
Thanks so much for your help, it really helps.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:06 PM
neyou86

he means 360 degrees. i have my hsp set at 3 turns out and it runs better than 2.5 turns out.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 AM
nubzorz

leaving the ignighter on for more than 20-25 seconds will damage the glow plug for sure. Sounds like you need a new glow plug and check your gap in the opening on the carb it should be very small only 1mm try taking the air filter off and hitting the breaks on the truck if the opening in the carb closes all the way its not set correctly the 1mm opening should stay the same when the breaks come on so the truck can still idle without stalling.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:49 AM
bentuhley

When you guys say out you mean counter clock wise from being flush with top? I've been having tuning issues too since I took my carb apart.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:46 AM
neyou86

yes, u turn the needle inward (clockwise) untill it stops. do not tighten it, it will damage the needle. then turn the needle out(counter clockwise) until it is flush with the collar.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:49 PM
r\c justin

bentuhley if u have tuning problem since u have rebuild ur carb its more than like u bent or messed up a piece inside the carb.. i have done the same thing when 3 out of 3 sh.18 carbs locked up on me... so i was running that motor almost all the way leaned out b\c the carb was messed up... u might have to adjust yours different than factory setting just make sure it smokes and do the spit test, or put small amount of water on top of the head should take about 5 to 8 second to fizzle away...