Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

2 speed transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 04:32 PM
aldwardo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 speed transmission help

I am working on a Redcat Lightning and am running in to some problems.
The second gear was missing a tooth, so I took apart the transmission and replaced it and re-meshed. I noticed that the car would only roll forward. I assume this is due to the one way bearing on first gear. I started the car and it idles fine, but the second I touch the throttle it died. I assumed that the OWB must be on wrong, so I flipped it around. Now it rolls only backwards, and stalls the second I touch throttle. I have no idea what I did to this thing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2009, 08:53 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE: 2 speed transmission help

It should roll forward and not backward. And i bet its a tuning issue, set it back to factory and go form there.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:54 PM
aldwardo
My Feedback: (1)

Thank you Derek. I appreciate the advice. I gave it a try, it was actually still at factory settings, but I checked that again, and tried to tune it, but it just didn't want to move. Finally I realized that the mesh was set way too tight. I had left the motor mounted each time I pulled the trans too. I set the mesh with paper on the second gear, which was a mistake, so the first gear was way too tight and wouldn't allow it to turn. I now set the mesh on both gears, which both have to mesh with the clutch bell, unlike many of the other 2 speeds.
Anyway, another break-in tank in, one more and I can let it rip.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:13 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are fun lil cars....my 2spd is stuck in second.. I musta dropped the screw spring and ball on the road at some point so 2nd is all I got....heck I can still leave my driveway which is in the center of the block and beat passing cars going 35 or so to the intersection..so who cares...lol
Old 07-07-2009, 03:54 PM
chevyderek72

Hey np. But ya i got one in a trade and it was stuck in second and i didnt even notice at first, it was the first time i drove an on road. That thing rips even in second gear
Old 07-08-2009, 09:25 PM
nubzorz

how would you know if it was stuck in second im thinking mine might be also if this is a common problem.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:40 PM
AliRedCatRacing

Well for sure you won't hear any shifting when you are running the car from idle to full throttle. if no shifting sound is heard or truck or car is not shifting that is obvious that you are stuck in 2nd gear. if you are stuck in first gear, you can see engine will rev a lot but car won't take up high speed.

Cheers

ali