Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hurricane XTR and Tornado BB Pics (HUGE)

Hey guys! Thought I'd finally post some pics up of the Hurricane XTR that I just recently got, (not even broken in yet), and my trusty Tornado BB. I also threw in my XTM X-Cellerator nitro for good measure.

These are big pics, so don't say I didn't warn you! (If you complain, upgrade to a 24" LCD with at least a 1920x1200 screen resolution!

She's so darn pretty, I don't even think I want to run her!!! I don't want grease, dirt, and scratches everywhere! But oh well, that's what they're made to do! So I'll have her up and running within' the next few days and see how she does!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hurricane XTR and Tornado BB Pics (HUGE)

hay man...is there any brand name on the sidewalls of your hurricanes tires?....if so what does it say?
    keep the shiney side up, the hammer down and the marshalls bored.....himoto rxb-1...himotoracingusa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nope, there is nothing written on the tires at all. Perhaps someone would have more insight as to what they are, but I don't know! All I know, is they feel great!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well the reason I asked is my buggy came with team cobra wheels and tires....those tires look an awful lot like them...to my understanding team cobra is a fairly new and is up and coming...my stock tires hooked up really well on dirt.. only bad thing was they didnt last long, but I am sure me running my buggy on hard surfaces didnt do them any favors...just in case if I was you I would be prepaired to buy a good set of hard compound bashing tires if your going to spend much time on concrete or other hard surfaces
    keep the shiney side up, the hammer down and the marshalls bored.....himoto rxb-1...himotoracingusa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Love the pics!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks! I just finished getting her all ready to break in... I couldn't find a way to get the antenna tube to stay in place, so a little super glue did the trick, and loctite on the motor screws. (Hex screws, whatever!)

I just need to find out exactly what's the best nitro to use to break in this monster motor. The instruction manual gives me no definate answers... Hrmm...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

20%...just a pet peave of mine, but I dont like to mix fuel (change brands)...so I break them in using the fuel I plan to run..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The only real thing I have heard about fuel for break-in is not to use 30 or 33%, although that may not be gospel. I use 20%, and like firebird, I break in with what I plan to run in the vehicle. I also change out the glow plug before I start the break-in and again use what I plan to use long term. But I also know people that use the stock plug for break in to avoid burning up a good plug (which is more likely to happen during break-in).

Enjoy the XTR. I have a truggy that is almost the same, and I love it. That 28 engine has some real cojones. And if you follow firebird's example as I did , you can put an XTM 6 port sleeve in and really make it scream. That was the best $50 upgrade I have done yet.
    September 11, 2001
    Never Forget

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I told ya you would love it Brian....puts a lil pep in the sh's step ...lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As soon as I find out I will let you know.
    Owner - GEYE Hobbies

Driving my vehicles through all obstacles, enjoying trucks, cars, and airplanes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been running 20% grade for over 25 years and it works on 1/10,1/8 vehicles pretty good. Redcat racing recommends it on there vehicles.
    Owner - GEYE Hobbies

Driving my vehicles through all obstacles, enjoying trucks, cars, and airplanes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

25 years yea ok Mr. 13 posts.... 20% isnt a grade. but back to the photos they look awsome this makes me want the hurricane i had no clue it was that much bigger than the tornado sick!
    Maxx 2.5, Revo 3.3, Savage XL,Ofna lx1,Tornado BB,Pede xl-5,exceed infinity,redcat lightning, redcat Vortex SS,CEN FF/NX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

25 years, hahahah!

Anyway, the Hurricane is just huge. I couldn't believe my eyes when I took it out of the box!

I will pick up another gallon of nitro today, but I have enough to break it in. Perhaps I will see if I can get my lazy butt outdoors to do it! Firebird, I'm too lazy to look back, but what is this XTM 6 port sleeve?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

20% is a grade and having a lot of post doesn't equal to any form of intelligence. This is a forum, where you ask questions in hope of finding the correct answer that will assist you.
    Owner - GEYE Hobbies

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: army2000ng

20% is a grade and having a lot of post doesn't equal to any form of intelligence. This is a forum, where you ask questions in hope of finding the correct answer that will assist you.
    Quite. Post count is no indication of experience or lack thereof, lets leave that stuff on the playground, can we? Thanks.
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Foxy - true, but I have to admit being in awe of any post count over 10,000! Eddie and you are the only two I know.

LuD - XTM makes an engine called the 457 that is a 28 (0.28 cubic inch displacement) like the SH engine in your XTR (which is the same engine I have in a similar vehicle). The 457 is a 6 port engine where your basic engines, including the SH M28-P3 in your vehicle, are 3 ports. In very oversimplified terms, more ports means more performance if all else is equal. The block of the SH M28-P3 is exactly like the block of the XTM 457, and you can drop a replacement sleeve and piston from the XTM 457 right into your engine. The XTMs may even be made by the same people - I don't know, but all their parts are interchangeable and even share the same part numbers, so it seems likely. Anyway, it makes a BIG difference in the power and speed of the engine. Firebird has done it, a couple other guys I know with the same engine have done it, and I did it. And it is simple. Although I am fairly mechanically inclined, I only have a couple of years of nitro experience, and it was easy. If you are interested, here is a link to the piston and sleeve from Hobby People where I got mine, although it is $58, not $50 (sorry for the poor memory).

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/148435.asp
    September 11, 2001
    Never Forget

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bkfamily1

more ports means more performance if all else is equal.
    It is all in how the ports are designed. SH found out the hard way that more ports doesn't mean more power. There used to be 9 ports on some of their mills, they ended up splitting sleeves like crazy. Even right now, SH still goes with a ton of ports, but if you notice, their port designs aren't much to brag about.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It will be left at the play ground. Thanks.
    Owner - GEYE Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What was the price on that 1/8 buggy? I think it is looking fantastic.
    Owner - GEYE Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jiga - I completely agree which is why I said that I was speaking in very oversimplified terms and "all else being equal." What I am sure you would agree to is that taking the SH M28-P3 engine and dropping in the XTM 6 port sleeve and piston will result in increased power and speed. And if you are not sure, I can testify that I have personally done exactly that and obtained improved performance. And I am aware of several others that have done the exact same thing with the exact same engine and gotten the same results. And that engine is good without the mod, and even better with it.
    September 11, 2001
    Never Forget

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If SH took the time to refine their porting on the sleeves as they do on some of their cranks, you'd probably see more SH engines at the club and maybe even regional racing level. Take a peek at the angling of their ports, compare it to Italian or even OS's porting designs. Regardless, YES, SH's engines with more ports are more powerful than their fewer ports because of this

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

just to clear things up...sh and xtm engines are both made by golden lion ltd......and yes jig you are absolutly correct on the port designs......what I do like about the xtm 457 sleeve is it is ported quite nicely for a low cost engine...no a sh.21 8 port will not run neck and neck with a os vspec speed....but the sh. is less then half the cost of the os...and I dont think the os would completely smoke it on a track

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The OS will smoke it on track The only SH's I've seen hangin around with faster cars is if they are heavily ported.
    $220 SH vs $300 OS, I'll take the $300 OS.

Go Tech is the other route to go, quality that SH could only dream of having. But that's just my opinion. Never liked SH, not enough power, not enough speed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

and I am sure the faster engines are untouched...lol....it would also depend on how the track is layed out...I have a stock sh.21 8 port on my rxb-1 and its pretty darn snappy...not as fast in top end as I was hoping for though...granted I am not a racer but I do go watch....and believe my buggy in capable hands could run with them....I am not saying that sh engines are just as good as the italian and os engines...but for a basher that wants more speed they are pretty good for the money....if I wanted to go race I'd stick a go engine on or try the caster engine....I'm not much one for following crowds......

and I paid $150 for my sh.21 8 port..like I said...half the cost
    I actually bought an 8 port ceramic piston sh for $179 during a factory direct sale...I'm always on the lookout for sales...os vspec's are rarely on sale for odvious reasons (they are better engines)