Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

volcano stx problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:20 AM
tlange88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volcano stx problems

ok, i'm a noobie here and to the rc world, i bought a volcano stx with the vx-18 motor and have a couple questions.. first the motor runs goodbut the tires wont move, and there is a rattling sound, is that the clutch? second, i turn the switch on the truck and the steering moves a tad, start the motor, then turn the switch off but it doesn't kill the motor! what is that? and third and last for now it looks like i have a little bit of fuel or something coming from between the top and bottom ends of the motor. all four bolts seem tight, whatdo i need to do there?
thanks alot,
Travis
Old 08-11-2009, 11:05 AM
RCToysNh

Default RE: volcano stx problems

ORIGINAL: tlange88

ok, i'm a noobie here and to the rc world, i bought a volcano stx with the vx-18 motor and have a couple questions.. first the motor runs good but the tires wont move, and there is a rattling sound, is that the clutch? second, i turn the switch on the truck and the steering moves a tad, start the motor, then turn the switch off but it doesn't kill the motor! what is that? and third and last for now it looks like i have a little bit of fuel or something coming from between the top and bottom ends of the motor. all four bolts seem tight, what do i need to do there?
thanks alot,
Travis
1.) either the main gear is stripped or one of the drive cubs is loose. or missing dogbone.

2.)switch turns the servos / receiver on / off. The motor , once running needs no out side power source other then fuel. To kill motor squeeze fuel line.

3.) Run motor and warm it up and check if leak stops, it may be just excess fuel from over rich mixture coming out of exhaust port.

good luck
Old 08-11-2009, 12:01 PM
tlange88

ok, probably another stupid question, is there any pictures of the main gear, and drive cups on the truck? i'm new and don't know what i'm lokking for
Old 08-11-2009, 03:22 PM
nubzorz

Well il try to explain this as simple as posible look at the gear thats comming off the motor thats the clutchbell look at the gear that the clutchbell is spinning that is the spur gear you can see it from under the car there is a cutout in the chasis where you can see this gear. The gear is black you should see it check and see if all the teeth on the gear are good or if they are striped. Check your manuel to that can help you alot.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:44 AM
tlange88

ok, i finally took the motor off, it ended up being the flywheel where the clutch pins go in were broke, and the C clip holding the clutches was broke, plus there was no spring around the clutch.. so i got a new flywheel, clutch shoes and spring, clutch bell housing coming. i also ordered a new body, tuned pipe, fuel filter, and one of the gears ( can't remember which one). my last question is, the tuned pipe i ordered from rctoysnh.com for like 18 bucks does it come with the header? if not... which i hope it does! will that improve the performance at all with the factory header?
thanks again, Travis

Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 AM
RCToysNh

ok, i finally took the motor off, it ended up being the flywheel where the clutch pins go in were broke, and the C clip holding the clutches was broke, plus there was no spring around the clutch.. so i got a new flywheel, clutch shoes and spring, clutch bell housing coming. i also ordered a new body, tuned pipe, fuel filter, and one of the gears ( can't remember which one). my last question is, the tuned pipe i ordered from rctoysnh.com for like 18 bucks does it come with the header? if not... which i hope it does! will that improve the performance at all with the factory header?
thanks again, Travis

Do not know who you are or what your order was, but,

The tuned metal muffler is part number 02124 = 15.60
It attaches to the stock coupler.
The header manifold is 02131a=4.99

PM us if you need more help.

If you need a manual which shows blow ups and part numbers let us know via pm or email we can email one to you.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:22 AM
RedCat_Chris

ok, i finally took the motor off, it ended up being the flywheel where the clutch pins go in were broke, and the C clip holding the clutches was broke, plus there was no spring around the clutch.. so i got a new flywheel, clutch shoes and spring, clutch bell housing coming. i also ordered a new body, tuned pipe, fuel filter, and one of the gears ( can't remember which one). my last question is, the tuned pipe i ordered from rctoysnh.com for like 18 bucks does it come with the header? if not... which i hope it does! will that improve the performance at all with the factory header?
thanks again, Travis

tlange88- Would it be possible for you to provide pictures of the broken flywheel, or possibly send it in to us. I would really like to take a look at it to make sure this is an isolated situation. If you can send it in that would be best.
Please Send it to:
Redcat Racing
Attention:Chris
23 W. Watkins ST.
Phoenix, AZ 85003
Old 08-15-2009, 10:51 AM
tlange88

redcat chris,    my new parts should be here monday and when i get them all installed and make sure everything is working good i will send the old flywheel out to you.